Muscle DOES NOT weigh more than fat and put away the damn sc

Options

Replies

• rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Yes - and by the same argument, nothing weighs more than anything else.
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    I agree with the original post :smile: Excellent! Rome wasn't built in a day. Carry on then...:wink:
  • everyoung
    everyoung Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    [agreed!]
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.
    [/quote]
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    How much does your purse weight?
  • duharvalgt
    duharvalgt Posts: 320
    Options
    correct muscle tends to be around 10 % denser
  • csparon
    csparon Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.

Just people with an attitude is how I see it. FYI Don't ever bring up the HCG diet hahahaha
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    When people say that muscle weighs more than fat, they mean per unit volume. No one thinks 5lbs. of anything does not weigh 5 lbs.

Exactly.

Except for that one lady.

LOL, I've seen posts where people say they are eating right and exercising and still gaining weight and some people respond that it must be muscle weight...I think that is what he is referring to and yes some people ARE that stupid....

LOL. or some ppl on here do understand yes a pound of fat is the same as a pound of muscle. ALSO when we say responses to someones elses post about why they gained 5lbs. we say it must be MUSCLE I dont personally mean boom u gained an extra 5lbs in muscle. when I say it I mean that their 5lbs of fat must have turned into 5lbs of muscle. which has happend to me. I started out at 140 a month ago. lost 5lbs. went down to 135 then added weights and now am back up to 140 again which is a GOOD gain. cuz that fat turned into muscle and didnt just melt off.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Good lord, I'm so tired of seeing this over and over again. I have NEVER heard anyone argue that a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat. I don't think many people are that stupid. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat, by volume. THAT is what people are referring to when they say muscle weighs more than fat, and they would be correct. They're saying exactly what you're saying, they're just using different words.

That said, I like your bit about obsessing over the scale :)
    Agreed, I've seen this type of post more than I have ever seen people actually trying to say that 1lb muscle is some how heavier than 1lb found.
  • secretgirl4611
    Options
    How much does your purse weight?

in 20lbs of fat or muscle??! HAHAHA ;)
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Take measurements and put the scale away. The scale is just one tool out of the toolbox to use to track your progress, but in my opinion is probably the less helpful. The scale has a way of playing mind tricks on you and causing setbacks and hopelessness if you do not hit the number you "think you deserve" from all the exercise you are doing. There are so many factors tied into that number on the scale, that weighing nightly, daily, weekly, every two weeks can play significant emotional mind games with some people. Put the damn thing away and use it monthly to track your progress, if at all, if that number even means anything to you. It doesn't to me.

I gauge my success off how my clothes are fitting, my energy levels, and my overall outlook on life. Not some 3 digits on a scale.

I agree with your whole post, but particularly this.^^^ :drinker: I decided at the beginning of the year to switch from a weekly weigh in to monthly (15th of every month). I've found that I am far less discouraged from day to day than I was before. Also, I do measurements and bodyfat % every three months with my wellness coach at my gym. I'm also tracking my RHR (the lower it is, the more fit you are...within reason, of course), my cholesterol/triglycerides, my BP (I have hypertension), etc... I have seen improvements all the way across the board since I started this thing in May 2011. Although I have been at a plateau on the scales since mid-November, being able to see all of the other benefits of a healthy lifestyle has helped me to keep pushing instead of giving up hope and gaining back the 45lbs I worked so hard to lose. I am hoping the scales (and the measuring tape) will start moving again since I have just been medicated for hypothyroidism and insulin resistance, both of which contribute to difficulties in losing weight.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    The only people who rant over and over to "put your scales away" or don't obsess over the numbers, use your clothes or measurements for results....... are usually the ones within 20lbs of their goal, when I am that small I will put my scale away too.

When you have a lot of weight to lose you do depend on that scale.... you can't be 5"4 and weight 200lbs and say, oh well my clothes are falling off of me.... I must be an acceptable weight now bahahahaha
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    It's alright noob. I still liked the rant! No more offensive than some of the anti rant rants! :tongue:
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Well, let's say it like it is. I do not know the educational level of any of the people on this site. When someone posts that muscle weighs more than fat, someone will probably take that as what they are saying.....literally. I see it all the time when someone posts about being bummed that they did not lose any weight this week. You always have someone post about how they probably gained muscle instead and muscle weighs more than fat. Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. And for someone that is emotionally attached to the scale, they are not going to understand what they are trying to really say.

Apurintly awl us idyuts on Em Ef Pee dunt no nuttin bowt luzing wate. Most peepul hur ar ignrint.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I guess I picked the wrong subject for my 1st post on these forums.....damn, you guys are like pitbulls....:bigsmile: I like it.

Just people with an attitude is how I see it. FYI Don't ever bring up the HCG diet hahahaha

LMAO- or how to "spot fix you body" that one drives me crazy!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    'I know what you're thinking about,' said Tweedledum; 'but it isn't so, nohow.'

'Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, 'if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
  • secretgirl4611
    Options

LMAO- or how to "spot fix you body" that one drives me crazy!

omfg! riiiight :D lol
    IF THERE WAS A WAY TO SPOT FIX, I THINK WE WOULD ALL HAVE OUR DREAM BODIES!!!!! *HURRY MAKE A WISH! eyes closed tightly*
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options

I'll give you that. Way too many people on this site respond with "oh you're just gaining muscle" Um no, you don't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
    But it's been hashed and rehashed on here so many times, it's unreal.

I just wanted to say that u can gain muscle on a calorie deficit
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
  • Riyam
    Riyam Posts: 25
    Options
    I sincerely want to understand this!!

So do both models weigh the same?
    15-percent-body-fat-female1.jpg

both have 15% fat
  • Scott613