Girls in tbe gym: question

Options
maletac
maletac Posts: 767 Member
So maybe I'm weird. I have never tried talking to someone in the gym. maybe its cause it's the last place I think I look decent. Or it's just outa my comfort zone. But I have never tried taking to a female in the gym.

I mean even when we make that weird eye contact a few times I'm like meh. Shrug it off and continue. Guess having more gym friends would be cool buutt I think the gym is pretty much "creep only when your feeling extra douchy" zone.... But maybe I'm wrong

Opinions experiences?

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just want to be ogled. That's all. If someone would ogle me while I'm drenched in sweat and working my butt off, my life would be complete.

Seriously, though, I have no clue. I've never had someone try to pick me up at a gym or elsewhere really, so I don't know if I'd be freaked out by it or not. Probably not, though - I mean, if you're both working hard at the gym, there is at least ONE thing you have in common.

ETA - If you do, probably wait until AFTER the workout though, like maybe on the way out of the gym.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, I seriously expect to be left the F alone.
    Unless it looks like I'm about to kill myself and I don't have a spotter, or you need a quick spot, you probably want to just keep doing your thing and let me do mine.
  • aanderson1126
    Options
    I think it's OK to appreciate the way a person looks when at the gym, but probably a bad idea to be the creeper while she's trying to get her sweat on.
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    When you're at the gym, you almost tend to be at your worst: all sweaty and exhausted. If someone is checking you out and trying to chat you up in that state, it is extremely flattering. My say is, any place any time. Go for it!
  • MissBehaved913
    Options
    I agree with JustJoshin... I wanna get in, do my thing, and get out. I dont mind socializing and being friendly... But being hit on is the last thing I would want when Im in the zone.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Look, I have seen a number of men with whom I would love to be interrupted by.
    Even just a "Hey, how you doin'" would be ok.
    Seriously, we're there to look and feel better. It's like the bar, without liabations and fried food.

Unless you go to Planet Fitness.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Personally, I just want to be ogled. That's all. If someone would ogle me while I'm drenched in sweat and working my butt off, my life would be complete.

Seriously, though, I have no clue. I've never had someone try to pick me up at a gym or elsewhere really, so I don't know if I'd be freaked out by it or not. Probably not, though - I mean, if you're both working hard at the gym, there is at least ONE thing you have in common.

ETA - If you do, probably wait until AFTER the workout though, like maybe on the way out of the gym.

Always ogling, you're awesome. :smile:
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The gym is when you're at your worst so I wouldn't really mind as long as it's not a constant thing like everyday the same guy over and over when I am trying to workout. I'm not looking for anyone right now but down the road I would totally be fine with someone approaching me because I'll want a boyfriend that would go to the gym with me and be able to keep up with me and they'd probably be less likely to want to grab fast food or something.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i've made friends at the gym, guys mostly. :smokin:
  • candice36
    candice36 Posts: 23
    Options
    The gym is my second home, so I'm there often. I see a lot of the same people when I go, mainly bc I go around the same time each day. To me, it would be awkward if I had to turn someone down and then see them again and again. Awkward! I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. However, I have made quite a few male acquaintances and when I see them we make small talk, etc.. So no, I don't think the gym is the wisest place to pick up in ladies. If you want to make friends, go for it! I am guilty of checking out some of the guys but it's all in good fun. I never cross the line or get too aggressive about it. I typically have tunnel vision at the gym, so I usually don't even know what I going on around me haha. Hope this helped :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only talk to women in my gym. There aren't a lot of impressive young guys at my gym, so *shrug* meh.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Most women wear earphones at the gym I go to. It used to be only the hot women wore earphones to the gym 7-10 yrs ago. Now it is almost all women.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Although I am there to workout and get done, it is nice to say hi with a smile and get a smile back. Being that I am a bigger guy and have been told i have an ominous look when i am serious it catches alot of people off guard.
  • dmouse0225
    dmouse0225 Posts: 104
    Options
    The gym is not a place that I want to talk to ANYONE. I almost go out of my way to avoid eye contact with people. It may seem rude, but I don't want to think about anything other than the task at hand.
  • rmsturdy
    rmsturdy Posts: 73
    Options
    Here's a happy medium. Do the appreciative, yet not total creeper glance and if she's receptive, say hi. If she gives you the "get the hell out of my way" look, don't even bother. Most days it just depends on our moods :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I've been hit on at the gym--I don't mind. flattery is always welcome. Douchiness is not. There's a difference. Be subtle, not clingy or weird. If she seems to be into you (making eye contact), reciprocating conversation, then ask if she'd like to grab coffee BEFORE the gym one day--if she shrugs you off or make an excuse not to then leave it alone--avoid future eye contact or you'll look like a creep.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When you're at the gym, you almost tend to be at your worst: all sweaty and exhausted. If someone is checking you out and trying to chat you up in that state, it is extremely flattering. My say is, any place any time. Go for it!
    yeah, you never know when your going to meet that Mr/Ms Right. I just wouldn't be interrupting anyone during a hardcore workout. Wait till they're done
  • blueandigo
    blueandigo Posts: 296
    Options
    The gym is not a place that I want to talk to ANYONE. I almost go out of my way to avoid eye contact with people. It may seem rude, but I don't want to think about anything other than the task at hand.
    This but then again I go everyday and I have a lot of friends who work in the gym so I seem like a friendly person lol.

Most people approach me outside the gym instead of inside.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, I seriously expect to be left the F alone.
    Unless it looks like I'm about to kill myself and I don't have a spotter, or you need a quick spot, you probably want to just keep doing your thing and let me do mine.

I agree with the above comment but when I go to the gym or have in the past I feel like everyone is staring at me even though I know they are not. So to be honest I just rather be left a lone unless I ask for help or am in serious trouble. Not saying if I was single and some guy hit on me great
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    The gym is my second home, so I'm there often. I see a lot of the same people when I go, mainly bc I go around the same time each day........

.....However, I have made quite a few male acquaintances and when I see them we make small talk, etc.. So no, I don't think the gym is the wisest place to pick up in ladies. If you want to make friends, go for it!

I ditto these statements. I would be flattered to be hit on but only if you've at least smiled or made previous friendly contact.

Overall it's really interesting to read these responses. Because I see the same people at the same time on the same days, I personally think it's weird NOT to at least nod or throw a smile/"hey". I started not wearing my earbuds while lifting and have made a few friends int he weight room and it's been awesome. Three are guys, one girl. One of the guys helps me with form, which I welcome and appreciate.

But that's just me - I'm friendly by nature :)