Girls in tbe gym: question

Options
124»

Replies

• Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Ask her about the brand of shoes she's wearing--if different from yours--say you're looking to change brands because yours aren't good for X. If she seems into you then I hope you'd notice. Let the relationship progress naturally after that.

If a guy asked me about my gym shoes, I'd either see straight through it and run a mile in the opposite direction, or presume he was gay,

But that's probably because I have zero interest in my own gym shoes... other girls may put some real thought into it and be happy to discuss it.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Ask her about the brand of shoes she's wearing--if different from yours--say you're looking to change brands because yours aren't good for X. If she seems into you then I hope you'd notice. Let the relationship progress naturally after that.

If a guy asked me about my gym shoes, I'd either see straight through it and run a mile in the opposite direction, or presume he was gay,

But that's probably because I have zero interest in my own gym shoes... other girls may put some real thought into it and be happy to discuss it.

hmm...interesting point. I've asked people about their shoes but if a guy asked me ...I actually don't think I'd think anything of it since I'm a runner and shoes are VERY VERY VERY important in running--so if he asked i'd assume he was asking for that reason.
  • SnakeDarling
    SnakeDarling Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    As long as you're not a jerk about it.
    Just walk up, say something something encouraging.
    If she seems interested in talking or nice, try to make conversation.
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I agree with JustJoshin... I wanna get in, do my thing, and get out. I dont mind socializing and being friendly... But being hit on is the last thing I would want when Im in the zone.

^^ This.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm too shy to approach anyone. I'm starting to get the regulars that go at the same time as me that have started small talk. But still...when im on the elliptical or doing weights, I am kinda wanderimg my eyes around and I make eye contact with some. Way too shy to start up a conversation so I just do my thing and wish they'd talk to me. lol so sad...
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If I were single, I'd be flattered...as long as you're not creepy about it. If you're willing to accept a woman at her worst, you're good in my book. I mean, we go to the gym to look better, right? If someone's hitting on you, you're doing something RIGHT!! (:
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I used to get hit on by a gym employee when I was in college. We actually were close to dating each other, but I was too shy and too young for him, IMO. He was 25, and I was barely 19..lol...I have a crush on this gym employee at my Golds. He has a GF though..sigh..lol..Something about those gym employees.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    This is why I bring a dozen roses with me every workout session.

and I let them do the talking.
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm with a lot of the other posters- it is really about timing. I don't mind a smile or some casual conversation. But when it comes to me being in "the zone" I find it annoying. I actually had a guy interrupt me during my workout yesterday and it really annoyed me. Literally I am intensely running between mile 4 and 5, drenched in sweat with my headphones on and a guy hops onto the machine next to me, leans over and motions for me to take my earpieces out. So I'm thinking maybe I dropped my keys or something (it's happened before..and the guy was a new staff member), so I took them out. Oh no...he just wanted to chat me up and get to know me...DURING MY WORKOUT. Now...If I was lifting or doing something a little less intense, it wouldn't have been so annoying, but all I could think was...'are you really doing this right now?' Seriously he interrupted me to ask how long I've been a member there, what's my name, and to tell me he looks forward to seeing me around. Umm...thanks?
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It's definitely going to be about timing, like everyone else said. Also reading body language. You can usually tell when someone is open to being socialized with at the gym and when someone is just trying to get in, get their workout done, and leave.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The gym is not a place that I want to talk to ANYONE. I almost go out of my way to avoid eye contact with people. It may seem rude, but I don't want to think about anything other than the task at hand.

This!

Call me rude, but I want to be left alone while I'm at the gym. Let me do my thing and you do yours. I have a t-shirt that boyfriend bought for me that says "I'm not here to talk"

Heck, we (my boyfriend and I) don't even talk to each other while we're there. And the only person I ogle is him ... lol. And since he's going home with me - it isn't creepy. :)
  • anna_love
    anna_love Posts: 177
    Options
    (( AT THE GYM I GO TO EVERYONE IS SOO FRIENDLY BOY'S AND GIRL'S PERSONAL TRAINERS ... I GO EVERYDAY AND I SEE THE SOME PEOPLE WORKING OUT ALL THE TIME I THINK THATS WHY EVERYONE IS FRIENDLY THERE CUZ ITS A KINDA SMALL GYM ....BUT Personally I JUST SAY HI AND SMILE SOME TIMES I DO TALK TO THE GIRLS THAT GO THERE BUT NOT REALLY .. TO ME A GYM IS TO GET UR WORK OUT DONE AND BURN THOSE CALORIES & PUT MY HEADPHONES LISTEN TO MUSIC ..AND MOVE MY BODY NOT TO BE ....BLA BLA BLA WITH EVERYONE ....
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this post during my workout today and have decided the best way to approach a woman at the gym is to give her a compliment. A legitimate one and leave it at that. Don't turn it into something about you, just short and sweet. If it were me that would be the least creepy way, and I could totally see that turning into her saying hi the next time and opening it up for more conversation later. I wouldn't hang out and expect her to have a huge conversation with you then, just a quick compliment and move on.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I am a big flirt with one of the trainers at my gym. Not my trainer, but another one. I am always asking if he can help me fix the chest strap for my HRM and silly stuff like that. I still go to work my *kitten* off but at the same time why not have some fun? I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as the person seems to reciprocate (spelling???)
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    So you guys are telling me it's bad to be the guy that stands behind the stair machine , locked on *kitten*? Delly noted, I'll be sure I NEVER do that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would say the gym is no different than any other situation. If you see someone you think is cute, try to make eye contact, and if you do, smile.

If the other person smiles back, then at very least you know that they're friendly and somewhat receptive if you wanted to introduce yourself.

If you can't catch their eye or they don't return a smile, they're either not interested, completely oblivious to their surroundings, or not in the mood to be approached.

That goes for the gym, the supermarket, a bar, a park, anywhere. Only approach people who act approachable.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When I'm at the gym, I am in the zone and honestly do not pay attention to people around me, unless they are in my way. LOL. But, I'm also married. I've met female friends at the gym though, through classes I take. And that I love. It's nice meeting people with a healthy lifestyle. Also...try bringing friends.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    When I go to the Gym I got my prison face on, I get in get out! well actually after the work out part, I like to have my meditating time, where I can cand of lounge in the gecuzzi and the dry sunna, I dislike it with all of my being when you get a couple of loud mouths in the dry sunna!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I go to the Gym I got my prison face on, I get in get out! well actually after the work out part, I like to have my meditating time, where I can cand of lounge in the gecuzzi and the dry sunna, I dislike it with all of my being when you get a couple of loud mouths in the dry sunna!

conjugal visits are on the rise lol