when is it okay to post you're pregnant?

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
I just saw on a girl's Facebook a photo of her pregnancy test...she's seven weeks. Is that a little early to announce a pregnancy to the world? Or is it just a sign of the times.

I was under the impression besides close family, you shouldn't tell others you're pregnant until 12 weeks.

Replies

• Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There isn't any length of time that is acceptable as far as I know. Some people wait until the second trimester because if they have a miscarriage in the first trimester it won't be so difficult to have to explain what happened to everyone.

With our first, I was almost six weeks when I told our families. DH had just left for Iraq and we needed the good news. I actually told my boss and co-workers first because I had a physically demanding job and they needed to know. With our second, I was closer to 8 weeks, but I was already needing to get into maternity clothes so we didn't have much of a choice.
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    I've read that at least 25% of women's first pregnancies end in miscarriage -and those are only the ones that are documented so it's definitely higher than that. My boss's wife was about seven weeks pregnant when she let it slip out. Everyone knew, family friends, the old lady down the street... She ended up miscarrying and it was so hard for her to tell every one. She got pregnant again and carried healthy full-term girl. She also waited 13 weeks before she told people the second time. So I would say that the girl you know should have probably waited, but if she feels confident telling "the world" at seven weeks, more power to her. To each their own, I suppose :smile:
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I would wait until 12 weeks, everything else is too soon and it would make it horrible to explain if something did go wrong.

I know a girl who told everyone when she was only 2-3 weeks.. that in my opinion is stupid.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think it is a personal choice and there is no 'shoulds' and 'musts'.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It is a personal choice, but I wouldn't personally post until I was over 3mos. The first 3mos can be very risky.
  • diriadams
    diriadams Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    12 weeks from a person that knows. People like to spread good news not bad. I had someone ask how my pregnancy was going 4 weeks after the miscarriage. I felt as bad for him and I did for myself. Take it from me keep the secret.:smile:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    definitely a personal choice. The "acceptable" period is 12 weeks, but then I miscarried at 13 for one of my pregnancies, so had I told anyone (other than hubby) or announced on facebook I'd have been plagued for months with unwanted congratulations and then "I'm so sorry" posts...

For the girl posting at 7 weeks, I envy her carefree naivety :flowerforyou:

If she had been well-read on the statistics of early-term miscarriages etc, she wouldn't have posted (I don't think). But how nice for her to get an extra month or two of celebration and joy out of her pregnancy, when most of us stress and worry for the first 12 weeks (and then some!)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Agree. Personal choice.

If it were my decision alone, I would tell people as soon as I knew. I'd want to share it with the world.

My fiancé has asked that when the time comes, I wait until the second trimester as he doesn't want to have to explain things if they go wrong. My own thought is that I'd rather people knew early, because I'd have far more trouble saying:

"I'm upset because I was pregnant, and had a miscarriage" when people didn't know in the first place, than saying:

"I had a miscarriage" when they already knew.

But, I'll be following his wishes. It'll be difficult, but I will.
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's a personal choice! I found out with both of my boys between 5-6 weeks. I couldn't keep my mouth shut either time! :) Everyone new just as soon as I told my family. I do have friends though that wait until the end of their 1st trimester.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Definitely a personal choice. I don't really think its a question of right or wrong timing more a question of whether you will be strong enough to explain to people that you have miscarried when the start asking you about the baby.
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here in my area of the UK we have our first scans at around 10 weeks. I waited til my scan which confirmed I was 10 weeks and 6 days along before I told the "world". But I told my parents, best friend and my manager all by 6 weeks. I think for me it really helped having people know. I couldn't have gotten through work for those first 12 weeks if my manager hadn't known as the guy sat next to me used to eat the smelliest food! She kept his eating at the desk habit under control while I was still getting sickness.
    But there is no hard and fast rule. It is down to personal preference
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    With both my kids, I waited until around 12 weeks. I think I told my parents a little early (around 10 or 11 weeks) with my second simply because I was going to be visiting and staying on a boat in close quarters with them for almost a week. At that point I was falling asleep every time I sat down and was still for more than 10 seconds so I knew that they would notice something was up. Easier just to tell them than to try to evade the subject for a week only to come home and call them a day or two later to tell them.

I know a lot of people are just too excited to not say anything for weeks at a time. However, it is usually best to wait and get through the first trimester safely before you tell the world...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I just saw on a girl's Facebook a photo of her pregnancy test...she's seven weeks. Is that a little early to announce a pregnancy to the world? Or is it just a sign of the times.

I was under the impression besides close family, you shouldn't tell others you're pregnant until 12 weeks.

Everybody is different. If she feels comfortable telling others, or, in some cases, can't wait to announce it, that's her business.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Personal Choice. The pitfall to early announcement is possible miscarriage and then having to tell everyone that too... That's why some people choose to wait.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice. My friend has a lot of pre-existing health problems, so when she got pregnant, she wanted to make sure everything was absolutely okay before she announced it to people outside of her close circle of friends and family. I think I'd want to wait until the risk of miscarriage had lessened or until after my first scan, as it would be too hard to tell everyone who knew I was pregnant that I'd lost the baby. I'd maybe tell my mum and closest friend before that, but no one else until I knew things were okay.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I too think it is a personal choice. I was pregnant, and told close friends and family, but when you have a large family that knows everybody, word gets out............and then I miscarried. It was very awkward for the people who knew---awkward for me and for them. That said, I would still tell early-family and close friends as I needed that support when I did miscarry...had I not told them I would not have had the support system that I had.

I would, however NOT post it on facebook at 6 or 7 weeks. But, then the "safe" time to tell is 12 weeks,..........and my cousin told everyone she was expecting right at 12 weeks, only to m/c at 13 weeks............so I guess you just never know.
  • lilyjay_
    lilyjay_ Posts: 86
    Options
    Why would anyone post a photo of a pregnancy test anyway? What's wrong with just words?
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I don't think this is a Miss Manners (etiquette) kind of thing. The only reason that some choose to wait is because early miscarriage is actually quite common. That didn't stop me from telling all of my online buddies when I was about seven MINUTES pregnant. :laugh:

Oddly enough, the one time I waited to tell anyone I was pregnant, I let people know at that magical 12 weeks, and I miscarried when I was 14.5 weeks along. :cry:
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Why would anyone post a photo of a pregnancy test anyway? What's wrong with just words?

Visit justmommies.com and see how many people do that...

I'm one of them. Very common for people who are trying to have babies... and even for those who aren't (I was not trying).