when is it okay to post you're pregnant?

Options

Replies

• slimmerme2012
    Options
    Its a personal choice. I told my friends on fb at 6 weeks..I mean hey if something did happen then I know I would have all of there support.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    It is really up to the person. One of my pregnancies, besides those closest to me, I didn't announce until I was 5 months. I think if someone has really been trying, they get so excited that they can't wait to share. Beside, if they are already sharing every single detail of their life on FB, why have any privacy about pregnancy?
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    We told our parents and close family as soon as we found out (I was about 7 weeks). Had to tell my work about it immediately because of job requirements I wasnt able to fulfill due to the pregnancy (around some chemicals). Told close friends and other family members around 11 weeks....then had bleeding and thought I was having miscarriage within a few days. Turned out ok, obviously, but I said that if we ever have another, I am not telling ANYONE other than my fiance before the second trimester.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    My friends and family and I rejoice together at happy news (a new pregnancy!) and mourn together at sad news. If I were to have a miscarriage, I would want the support and love from my family and friends; it's definitely not a burden I would want to carry by myself.
  • CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    Personal choice. I have had 8 pregnancies and have 3 living children. After losing my daughter at 18 weeks, I swore I wouldn't tell a soul if we got pg again. However, it took 2 1/2 years to get pregnant after her and by the time I saw 2 lines on the test I couldn't wait to tell everyone. I'm glad I did because the support was wonderful. Yes, a lot can happen during a pregnancy. Of my 5 losses, two were 2nd trimester, 3 were 1st trimester. I think it depends on how much support you would like to have. I am glad with my losses I had told others because they were there for me and I knew others were praying for me. When I told my husband I was pg with our son, I told him at work. Everyone at his command knew what we had been through and that we were trying again so it was a happy occasion we wanted to share with friends.
  • AmberLeighD
    AmberLeighD Posts: 112
    Options
    I waited until after the first trimester.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    its personal i guess. but i think that id wait, to be safe! but i think its a bit 'tacky' to post it on facebook, just tll the people you know by mouth!
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was about 3-4 weeks with my second when I found out. We told everyone after we told our parents. I see no problem with it. They're already reading all about my life why keep this? It's a happy time for most and everyone likes a little happiness. Especially in baby form. :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I close friend of mine had a stillborn with her first child so is of the mentality that tragedy can strike any time and the good news of pregnancy should be celebrated as soon as possible. I think she was only 5 or 6 weeks pregnant each time when she told us about carrying her next three.
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice. They just say don't announce it until 12 week because you are out of the high risk stage of losing the child. But if she want to tell the world *kitten*, she should tell the world.

*shrugs shoulders*
  • bekahl
    bekahl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think that it's all down to personal choice. We found out that I was pregnant at 6 weeks and immediately told our parents. I also had to tell my boss and work colleagues as I worked on a psychiatric ward and was at high risk of violence and aggression. Plus they had to put an extra member of staff on my shifts so that there was enough people to respond to emergencies and to restrain if necessary as I couldn't do any of that whilst pregnant. If this hadn't been the situation then I probably wouldn't have told anyone at work at that point.
    So I guess it's personal choice and situations that have an influence on when you tell people.
  • Mishi1369
    Mishi1369 Posts: 37
    Options
    I would at least wait until you had something firmer then an at-home pregnancy test. To post a picture of it and then in a couple weeks have to say that it was a false positive, I can't imagine.
    If you are sure, then it would be personal preference. My best friend told people in waves. She told her immediate family and 2 closest friends when she first found out (she told us friends mainly so we weren't blurting it out when she wasn't drinking at New Year's Eve) and then a few more family memebers and a manager in a couple weeks and then announced it at 12 weeks. I think that is a good idea. Share in the joy with the closest people, because they will see the pain too if something does happen and not announce to the world at large until it is atleast a little safer.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    When you find out! It's a celebration of life, there is no need to keep that to yourself.

However I have known women that have had a miscarriage in the past, so they wait until the fetus is out of the danger zone.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Definitely a personal choice. When I was pregnant with my daughter (1st pregnancy - 2005) I told everyone the day I found out! I didn't know how far along I was (I found out later that I was 7wks).. I was just really excited & miscarriage never crossed my mind.. at all.. during the whole pregnancy.
    When I was pregnant with my son (2009).. I waited until I was out of my 1st trimester & I didn't even want to tell people then. I had 2 miscarriages before my son (one at 6wks, one at 11wks - in 2007). I just wasn't ready to go through telling everyone AGAIN. Now looking back.. I would wait.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Personal choice.

I let my bosses know I was pregnant at 7 simply because it's a small firm and while it was early they need to know ahead of time so we could plan out oncoming projects.

No big deal.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My friends and family and I rejoice together at happy news (a new pregnancy!) and mourn together at sad news. If I were to have a miscarriage, I would want the support and love from my family and friends; it's definitely not a burden I would want to carry by myself.

It's easy to say that, but losing a baby could mean you just want to be by yourself to heal. I'd have thought the same way before mine!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    its personal i guess. but i think that id wait, to be safe! but i think its a bit 'tacky' to post it on facebook, just tll the people you know by mouth!

That's a pretty narrow view of the world! I live on the opposite side of the world to my family and closest friends. Facebook is the only way I get to communicate with some of them because of time differences and the cost of flights!
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal choice.

This.

I told everyone I was pregnant at 8 weeks when I found out that my husband and I were having twins because I was so freakin' excited. I lost them at 12 weeks and I really wish I would have kept my mouth shut. I STILL get people on fb asking how the babies are doing because my due date was mid May. I guess they missed the posts about it. :\
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? Its all up to you.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    There's no "appropriate" time...it's personal choice. One of my close friends from childhood became pregnant in 2000...she had endometriosis and doctors had told her she might not be able to conceive...she and her husband were so excited that they were able to conceive that they told family and friends when she was 8 weeks. I was a little nervous for her, but also glad that I would be there if something happened. She had a healthy full term baby who is now a happy and healthy12 year old.