Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Black beans go with everything.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Eggs are cheap and you can make a whole bunch of different things.
    Potatoes and onions, too.
    The makings for a veggie soup (bouillon, veggies, maybe noodles).
    Split pea soup is good and cheap to make (dried peas, dried onion soup mix, chicken broth)
    Peanut butter and bread.

I've been there/done that...good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Might be a good thread for anyone a little short on cash - so advice doesn't just have to apply to my situation! :D

Anything you guys love to do with beans? I have no clue what to do besides chili xD
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi grocery store in your area? They have good food all kinds fruits, vegetables, bread, milk, yogurt, everything a regular grocery store has but lots cheaper! Good luck to you!
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    The veggies are cheap now since it is getting warmer! For example: 3 bell peppers for $1. 2 ginormous cucumbers for $1. Go to the nearest farmer's market around you :)

I second the beans suggestion. GL!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything you guys love to do with beans? I have no clue what to do besides chili xD

Wraps are a quick, cheap, easy meal that can be done with almost whatever ingredients you have laying around. Meats? Yep. Veggies? Yep. Beans? Yep. Cheese? Yep. Condiments? Yep.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I think I have some sour cream and such in the back of my fridge xD Wraps sound yummy!

I think we do have an Aldi, never been in it though! Will have to check it out :D

I have a collection of protein powder going on, will probably be drinking a lot of that to use it up and save some cash
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Lentils!! Rice, beans, peanut butter, tuna...
  • alix1105
    alix1105 Posts: 80
    Options
    I get a coupon book delivered with the paper every week actually :D Many of the things in there are still more expensive than the basics it seems :/ Looks like im going to need to learn how to extreme coupon here soon xD
    I extreme coupon and love it :) i save sooooooo much money its stupid. haha But it sucks cause in Cali we can't double coupon.

Here's some websites I use, Hope they can help u save some monies :)

onefrugalchick.com
    groupon.com
    livingsocial.com
    dailydeals.com
    slickdeals.net
    reclipit.com

hope this can help you out a little. I don't know what i'd do without my couponing. lol good luck! :)
  • Kailel
    Kailel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This broke college student lives off of noodles and crackers with peanut butter... With a side of whatever's on sale.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Ramen Noodles were my go to college food ;)
  • miraquenice
    miraquenice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cook beans in water when they are nearly done add bacon strips or sausage, cilantro, tomatoe slices maybe some onion slices too and a garlic clove salt to taste wait till bacon is fully cooked and BAM!!!!!! ranchero beans.:smile:
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Might be a good thread for anyone a little short on cash - so advice doesn't just have to apply to my situation! :D

Beans, frozen corn and some salsa or mexican seasoning - cook together for a yummy taco filling.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bananas can be cheap!!!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Aldis is good. I don't like the produce at mine though. So I stick to the canned stuff and some frozen. Of course I also have my own garden and can and freeze a lot of produce.

If you need ideas for beans, check out the Recipe threads here on the message boards. They are very versatile.

If you want to buy rice, find an Asian market, here at least that is the cheapest and best rice you will find. I have found a middle east market in town and there I get cheap olive oil. I also get some interesting conversations at the middle east market.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Local Farmer's Market!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    And had very little money for food for the next 2 months *-* what would be the top items on your list?

I was thinking:
    cans of tuna 52 cents
    bag of rice around $1.20 or so
    maybe a bag of frozen chicken breasts - $6 or so

what would you add :flowerforyou:

friends who work on campus in the cafeteria, that let me sneak end on shrimp and steak night as well as to get veggies and fruit daily. LOL...frozen veggies/fruit like broccoli, spinach, blueberries, etc also so black beans and lentils, brown rice, protein bars. However I would probably end up with PEANUT BUTTER, BREAD, CHEESE, ALMOND MILK, CHEERIOS, whole wheat bread, deli meat, bagged salad, chicken breasts, ground beef, eggs...I would use a printer on campus to print my COUPONS! ;-)
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would live on Butter and any cheap cuts of meat I could get + frozen veggies
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Eggs for sure!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    FYI - Grocery stores mark down the meat during the week. I used to shop on Tuesday mornings just to catch the deals. You have to either eat the meat or freeze it immediately. Produce is done the same way especially ripe bananas and apples.