Say you are a broke college student....

Options

Replies

• miraquenice
    miraquenice Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    you can also find managers special on meat sometimes. If i dont know wht to cook and im running low on cash i usually buy that and just cook that up.
  • brearune
    brearune Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree to hit up the dollar store!!!! Amazing how much they have now, they've really expanded as far as foods.

I always keep bread around, I sometimes buy bulk at BJs or Costco and freeze the other loaf. 'diet' bread, usually. One of our staples since we both work and go to college, is packaged meals. We get dollar store ones, but just watch the nutrition on them. Or lean pockets for quick meals, just make sure you get some healthy stuff during the day lol.

oh, and i love a nice large jar of peanut butter (natural), it lasts forever, has some nice healthy fats, and if you just put it on some toast it's filling while not TOO many calories. :)
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Ramen Noodles were my go to college food ;)

its about damn time!
    its sad we had to go all the way to page 2 before someone mentioned ramen noodles to a college student... geeze!

ramen noodles.
    big bag of chicken breasts
    lots of bags of frozen veggies
    and cheap frozen pizzas
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Beans, frozen chicken breasts, rice, canned veggies (store brand) or frozen veggies, tuna, dried fruit, yogurt, eggs, jello....
  • JekJekums
    JekJekums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    have you tried a bulk food store? we have one around my area that has student discount days. you can get beans, grains (rice, barley, quinoa - all super healthy!) for cheap. also, im a student and sometimes when im really cutting costs, i grab canned veggies (just be sure to rinse really well!) and i thow them in stews or in with rice, etc. good luck!!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can get a lot of frozen veggies for cheap, black beans, pinto beans, chick peas, low cal low sodium soups, ground turkey and frozen chicken. I'm a broke teacher so I understand. lol
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't get the dollar steamer frozen veggies, I walt more toward the middle and get the BIG bags of frozen veggies:) WalMart usually has the price per ounce on the price sticker.
  • andreanicole686
    Options
    Also, the bananas and other frozen fruits would be a good idea!!
  • andreanicole686
    Options
    Ramen Noodles were my go to college food ;)

its about damn time!
    its sad we had to go all the way to page 2 before someone mentioned ramen noodles to a college student... geeze!

ramen noodles.
    big bag of chicken breasts
    lots of bags of frozen veggies
    and cheap frozen pizzas

lol Ramen noodles should be eaten in moderation way high sodium levels!
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on where you live. Checking flyer weekly for specials are a great idea. And making larger amounts( when the ingrediants are on sale) and freezing left overs in portion sizes can save you money and help your diet when your to busy/tired to cook you have stuff in the freezer ready. It can keep you from buying something thats fast but hard on the budget and not good for you.
  • emelou6
    emelou6 Posts: 9
    Options
    hmmm... as a fellow poor student... I would have to say, beer, is at the top of my list :drinker:

kidding (kind of)...

~ black beans
    ~ SALSA <--- and franks red hot, I put that *kitten* on everything, makes the most bland piece of chicken, or rice, or veggies (and popcorn) taste great
    ~ eggs
    ~ chicken
    ~ frozen veggies (last forever and the store brand ones are usually wicked cheap)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    And had very little money for food for the next 2 months *-* what would be the top items on your list?

I was thinking:
    cans of tuna 52 cents
    bag of rice around $1.20 or so
    maybe a bag of frozen chicken breasts - $6 or so

what would you add :flowerforyou:

friends who work on campus in the cafeteria, that let me sneak end on shrimp and steak night as well as to get veggies and fruit daily. LOL...frozen veggies/fruit like broccoli, spinach, blueberries, etc also so black beans and lentils, brown rice, protein bars. However I would probably end up with PEANUT BUTTER, BREAD, CHEESE, ALMOND MILK, CHEERIOS, whole wheat bread, deli meat, bagged salad, chicken breasts, ground beef, eggs...I would use a printer on campus to print my COUPONS! ;-)

Also...you could get yourself a job of some sort with campus food service and eat for free!!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    franks red hot, I put that *kitten* on everything, makes the most bland piece of chicken, or rice, or veggies (and popcorn) taste great

YES!
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    In addition to the brown rice and tuna you listed, here are some cheaper, healthy options I buy:

* Frozen veggies (often cheap and last longer than fresh)
    * Certain fresh veggies like carrots, ones in season (I shop sales for what is cheap fresh veggie wise).
    * Seasonal fruits (shop sales, bananas are usually a safe bet as well as seasonal fruits)
    * Canned veggies and fruit
    * Canned and dried beans (chili, rice and beans, make your own black bean burgers, etc.)
    * Eggs
    * Pasta (sometimes I can get the whole grain kind for a dollar a box on sale, which I did this week)
    * Manager specials on meats like chicken, lean cuts of beef, etc. (just freeze them when you get home until you are ready to use them)

You also can check discount stores to stretch your dollar further. I clip coupons every week, but am selective about the ones I use. Good luck. :smile:
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you have a day old bakery around, you can't beat the price of their baked goods. (One of my local ones gets the leftovers from Raley's so it's not just things like wonder bread.)

Also bread and tortillas freeze well.
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I second the peanut butter. Eaten in reasonable quantities, it is a nutrious protein (e.g., meat) substitute.
  • ElizabethFrank
    Options
    OATMEAL!! Filling and so good for you.

Eggs are cheap too and a great source of protein.

You might consider looking for a plasma donation center as well for extra cash. You can usually find one within walking distance of most college campuses.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Popcorn pop on the stove, Salad fixings, oatmeal, bag of boneless-skinless chicken breasts, a bag of fish filets, a bag of frozen shrimp.

Lots of green beans, bag of beans, cans of soup, cans of chicken meat and turkey meat. Wheat pasta, ground tukey, garlic and tomato sauce. A big bag of Kale to make Kale chips with.

If you like Sushi, get your own stuff to make sushi and you can make any combination you wish. If youn want fish in it, imitation crab meat and you can ask at the fish counter for sushi grade fish, sometimes you can find a really good deal on tuna or salmon.
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    not sure if anyone said frozen vegetables yet
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Shop your circulars and figure out what store near you has the best deals consistently and plan ahead. I was a terrible eater in college. I ate hot dogs and chips w/ cheese & salsa. Thankfully I burned off most of those bad calories by walking all over campus!

In my area Albertson's beats out everyone else on produce and meat. I buy chicken breasts (untrimmed) when they're on sale for $1.69-1.88 lb and tilapia fillets at buy one get two free (usually 6-8 fillets per pack.) I trim the chicken breasts when I get home and put them in ziplocs to freeze.

Buy fruits and veggies in season. If you can find a good farmers market near you great. Watch out though. Since farmers markets have become hip the produce isn't always the deal it used to be. In my area I can usually find better deals in my local grocery store. Strawberries are in season here in Florida and I was able to buy a basket for $1.50 at Albertson's. Grape tomatoes and blackberries are on sale this week at Albertson's for $1 per basket. Frozen veggies go on sale here at least once a month for $1 a bag as well.

As for packaged foods, eggs, bread and dry goods, my local Super Walmart kills the competition. I can buy twice the amount of food for usually half the price. This is the place to buy cereal, oatmeal, rice, beans, and canned goods such as tuna.