Anyone else annoyed by other dieters?

Options

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Some of the things people do are stupid and make me roll my eyes when I see it, but then again I don't really have room to talk, I'm sure some people view me the same way. I try not to invest too much time into worrying about other peoples dumb habits, if I did my head would explode.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm on the lower end of the weight scale but my diet is about fitness and healthy eating, not getting to a certain weight. It's a dangerous thing to judge anyone on the surface of what they're doing, unless they're obviously boasting/moaning the way you've mentioned above. I want to be in shape, and at most it'll be only a couple of pounds in the difference but the important thing is fitness. I feel too sedentary. So just because I don't have a bigger goal doesn't mean my goal isn't worthy.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am not mad at them. I am mad at tv, magazines, ads, etc who tell us how our bodies should be. I'm madder at doctors and nurses in worst physical shape than most of their patients. So if someone is being healthy to get to a goal weight then no I am not mad at them!! I'm happy they made a decision, developed a plan, hit some bumps on the road but in the end CONQUERED it all. Just be happy others are making a positive change in their lives b/c there is so much worse going on in the world!!!
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You only eat 1000-1200 calories? I would put you in the category of those that barely eat - you know, the ones that annoy you.
  • fabafter5
    fabafter5 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The only thing that annoys me about other dieters is when they mean to write lose and spell it loose and vice versa. This I see 200Xs a day on MFP.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Not really.. everyone has their own goals and their own opinion of which body type is best looking.
  • MountainMia
    MountainMia Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an opinion. Just do you and don't worry about anyone else unless they are genuinely asking for your help. People won't value it if they don't have to spend a bit of their pride to get it.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    You only eat 1000-1200 calories? I would put you in the category of those that barely eat - you know, the ones that annoy you.

Barely eating and barely eating 1200 calories are very different situations. I don't eat chips, chocolate, or any of that stuff anymore. Anyone can eat a bag of chips and say they met their calorie goal for the day. I don't drink a whole of juice or milk either I fill up on water and veggies or fruits. I eat chicken or turkey occasionally fish/shrimp but eating 1200 calories or fruit or veggies is actualy quite difficult. So with that being said I prob eat more then most People, however my calories are pure healthy.
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Get over yourself! If they annoy you, delete them! Complaining about them isn't going to solve the problem.
  • DietPep1978
    DietPep1978 Posts: 202
    Options
    For the most part - no,I don't get annoyed.

There are times (mostly when I"m in a bad mood/feeling sh*tty about myself) that other people annoy me or I think they are full of *kitten* (their cal's burn, their food journal, what they are telling me).

BUT in the end...you are in this for yourself! If you waste your time and energy comparing and competing with others, you'll make yourself (and those around you) miserable!! It's just not worth it.

Put that energy you spend in worrying about others into keeping focus on yourself. It's what helps me when I start to stray into competitive cranky land.
  • Nicmeglau
    Nicmeglau Posts: 11
    Options
    ME too...this is not a comptition
    It's real life...and we all want to live long an be healthy
    Don't let others steal your thunder...
    Make the noise your self.....
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    1000 calories IS barely eating. This annoys me.

That being said, you do look amazing, especially for someone who just had a baby recently. I still think you should eat more, though. And lift heavier weights.
    Thx I do plan on moving up to heavier weights, I never eat only 1000 calories cuz that is crazy but mfp said to do 1200 a day so I just went with it. I don't drink pop, eat red meat, less salt, and eats lots of veggies. I was thinking of goin to 1500cals but I was hopin to drop more weight first then go into maintenance.

I think you have done a great job and look awesome. You may not have the same metabolism as these others that seem to lose with such ease, but check on them is 5 years. If they are losing the weight incorrectly, it will take a toll on their bodies. You'll be fit and strong. And isn't the new slogan " STRONG IS THE NEW SKINNY " ? You're already there!!!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Barely eating and barely eating 1200 calories are very different situations. I don't eat chips, chocolate, or any of that stuff anymore. Anyone can eat a bag of chips and say they met their calorie goal for the day. I don't drink a whole of juice or milk either I fill up on water and veggies or fruits. I eat chicken or turkey occasionally fish/shrimp but eating 1200 calories or fruit or veggies is actualy quite difficult. So with that being said I prob eat more then most People, however my calories are pure healthy.

Honestly, it is this type of attitude that bothers me most.. I am not sure i fyou meant it, but you sound like your are assuming that people who feel 1000-1200 calories is low must eat poorly. I eat the same foods you do and still find it very easy to achieve over 1200 calories a day. I am not a believer in the magic "1200" number and that some smaller people may be just fine around there, but I still feel that the majority of people eating 1000-1200 calories should be eating more, whether they are eating all lean meat and veggies or not.
  • thekateb
    thekateb Posts: 45
    Options
    I eat more than you do and I am 5'8" 118 lbs. 118lbs is a very healthy weight for my body. Why do you can so much what weight other people are? Maybe focus on yourself and what is healthy for you and don't waste your time being annoyed with other people.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't get annoyed, but I am very puzzled by people with really low goal weights. My goal weight (and size) seem a good deal higher than lot of other peoples. Sometimes I think people are really focused on the scale number vs looking great. Which may happen at a much higher number on the scale than you think. In my book at the end of the day, would you rather look like <insert weight here> or actually be that weight. If everyone thinks I weight 20-30 pounds less than I do, it is all good to me!
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't get annoyed, but I am very puzzled by people with really low goal weights. My goal weight (and size) seem a good deal higher than lot of other peoples. Sometimes I think people are really focused on the scale number vs looking great. Which may happen at a much higher number on the scale than you think. In my book at the end of the day, would you rather look like <insert weight here> or actually be that weight. If everyone thinks I weight 20-30 pounds less than I do, it is all good to me!

^^^ This! I'm only 5 foot so obviously I look big at a smaller size anyway because of my height and frame, but most people around my height that I've seen on here want to be a good 20 pounds less than I do. I find it really hard to get my head around. I'd be quite happy being a size 12 (a US 8) but so many people want to be a 6 or 8 (US 2 or4). I really don't understand it but then I suppose they wouldn't understand me either.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    1000 calories IS barely eating. This annoys me.

That being said, you do look amazing, especially for someone who just had a baby recently. I still think you should eat more, though. And lift heavier weights.
    Thx I do plan on moving up to heavier weights, I never eat only 1000 calories cuz that is crazy but mfp said to do 1200 a day so I just went with it. I don't drink pop, eat red meat, less salt, and eats lots of veggies. I was thinking of goin to 1500cals but I was hopin to drop more weight first then go into maintenance.

drop more weight, looking like that? you look amazing!! You need to be careful any weight you lose isnt muscle
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    yes! i have a girl on my facebook who posted today about how she lost 40lbs in 2 months...and 9 times out of ten she probably doesnt eat enough and does cardio like crazy...

This is mainly going to be muscle loss = BAD!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Eating 1k-1200 does net decent weight loss if you feel that 20-50% of that its okay to sacrifice lean mass!

Ladies!

Eating 1k-1200 daily then working out, depending on height and weight, is idiocy.

I'll break it down for you.

Most women who are in the 30-40% body fat range and 5'2" or taller should eat and NET appx 1600-1800 daily.
    Period!
    Most women who are 5'5" 30-40% body fat should eat and NET 1800-2200 daily.

Most women 25-30% 5'2" should eat and NET 1700-2100 daily.

I can go on and on.

This is dependent on activity level where most of the women i've worked with are working out 3-5 times a week or Moderate Activity or 1.5 on the Activity Scale.

Physiologically speaking the human body can only lose so much fat in 1 day or 24 hour cycle.
    The fatter you are the more fat you can lose.
    Once this quota is met the body Hormonally switches to another fuel source.
    You work our and damage lean tissue AKA muscle and your body will target that first.
    The reason is if it can burn off some lean tissue, its active tissue and uses calories, it can slow you down.
    This is why we call the 1200 calorie diet the "Skinny-Fat" diet.
    You are making a smaller version of your former fat self.

Another reason why 1k-1200 calories a day, depending on your height, is stupid is because its normally below the BMR.
    Eating below BMR slows metabolism and forces the body to slow itself down.
    It does this by Hormonally switching gears, preserving fat, catabolizing lean mass and thus...making you a smaller version of your former fat self.

Most people who do the 1200 calorie diets fail at them after several weeks or months because at some point you hit a plateau.
    Also when you realize youve lost a large percentage of lean mass youll have to spend twice as much time eating above TDEE to gain back your lean mass lost to YOU not doing the research or listening to some dimwit in an office calling themselves Nutritionists!

IMO, and i've helped a lot of people see through the 1200 cal BS, you need to know 3 main numbers to lose weight or live a healthy life.

1)TDEE
    2)BMR
    3)Body Fat %

Eat below TDEE to lose weight.
    Eat above BMR to maintain lean mass
    Eat 20% below TDEE or higher to just lose fat.

To get your numbers right please visit http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools
    Do the Military Body Fat Calc first, then the BMR tool.
    The BMR tool will give exact calories to eat on a daily basis.
    Add 20% to this number to get your TDEE.
    For Fat loss plans set up macros at 30% Protein/Fat each.

You all can hate me for this post if you want but the more people I pull out of the fog of dieting and into real world, sustainable dieting, the better!

If any of you are interested in joining the High Calorie Group "Feed The Machine" send me a PM.
    All the members are people just like you who eat 1700-3k+ daily and are just losing FAT!
    Imagine that!
    And eating whatever you want as long as it fits in the macros!

*hops off soapbox*

If not...enjoy the Skinny-Fat diet!
    =D
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think 1000-1200 cals per day is unsustainable. Eventually, that's going to catch up with you.