Replies

• msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It may be a good idea to mix it up on some days. Perhaps you could do your 5x5 routine for raw strength, and mix in some 10 or 12x4 for some endurance. In either case, go to failure. Just a thought!

The Westside method is similar to that. Two days are dedicated to Max Effort and two days are dedicated to Dynamic Effort. I just started the Westside Skinny *kitten* 3 method by John DeFranco, I may start a thread about it.

LOL, just realized I called him John... It's Joe DeFranco actually. LOL, sorry Joe.
  • trudellw
    trudellw Posts: 1
    Options
    I have found that alternating phases works best for me.

Phase 1 is a 3-5 week hypertrophy (muscle building) phase to increase size focusing on lower weight and higher reps. Each day of the week focuses on a group of muscles with a total of 6 - 8 lifts each with 3 set x 12 reps, for example Squat 12x205 12x225 12x225 Each week of Phase 1 my goal is to increase the weight of each lift when compared to the previous week.

Phase 2 is a 3-5 week strength phase which focuses on lower reps with higher weight. Each day of the week focuses on a group of muscles with a total of 6 - 8 lifts with 4 - 6 sets of gradually decreasing rep counts as the weight increases. For example: Squat 8x225 6x265 4x285 4x285. As with phase 1 I try to increase the weight lifted for that lift when compared to the previous week.

I am currently in week 3 of phase 1 and have seen increases in both size and strength.