ink == intimidating? i don't get it.

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
I'm a ~really~ "outgoing" person. Its rare that I go anywhere alone and end up not making a friend with the person who had the (un)fortunate luck to end up sitting next to me.

Case in point - I just got back from lunch where I went solo. By the time I left, one waitress was sitting next to me after bringing me some food she personally cooked earlier, wanting me to try it, and the guy sitting on the right side of me gave me his business card with the promise I'll call him randomly one day, tell him he's an arsehole, and hang up.

So that happens all the time.

But I'm dressed for work at the moment (meaning tank top under a long sleeved button up to cover my tattoos (sleeves)) and i'm starting to notice a pattern. Tattoos covered, I can (and do) make friends with pretty much any stranger. But when my colors are on display, I only make friends with other tattooed/punk rock people.

why?

does lots of ink == intimidating? Or does lots of ink == white trash == me not being worth talking to by the average joe?

Replies

• annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I really don't get that either. At all. And btw you have just added to the mounting evidence that if we were in the same bar we would strike up a friendship
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I want to be like you!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Regardless of ink, I don't talk to people generally. I'm anti-social and usually am absorbed in my own world. I need a sign..."don't talk to me."

I KNOW! Maybe I should get that in a tattoo! What do you think? Forehead? Cleavage? :wink:
  • AccordingtoTodd
    AccordingtoTodd Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    definitely cleveage, that makes a strong statement
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I rarely ever have my ink covered, and have never had anyone seem put off by it....and if I do have a jacket on or something, in the middle of winter, I really see no difference in the way people react or approach me.
    The only real difference is that when my ink is shown, it seems to be a conversation starter, most people seem to use that to talk to me, by asking about a particular tat.....
    Not sure where you live, maybe its more acceptable in FL?
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    tattoos are lame
  • KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    I'm a ~really~ "outgoing" person. Its rare that I go anywhere alone and end up not making a friend with the person who had the (un)fortunate luck to end up sitting next to me.

Case in point - I just got back from lunch where I went solo. By the time I left, one waitress was sitting next to me after bringing me some food she personally cooked earlier, wanting me to try it, and the guy sitting on the right side of me gave me his business card with the promise I'll call him randomly one day, tell him he's an arsehole, and hang up.

So that happens all the time.

But I'm dressed for work at the moment (meaning tank top under a long sleeved button up to cover my tattoos (sleeves)) and i'm starting to notice a pattern. Tattoos covered, I can (and do) make friends with pretty much any stranger. But when my colors are on display, I only make friends with other tattooed/punk rock people.

why?

does lots of ink == intimidating? Or does lots of ink == white trash == me not being worth talking to by the average joe?

I think its because people think that just cause you have tattoos you are some what of a rebellious sort (be it punk rocker or what have you......and no, tattoos don't scream white trash......) and so they stereotype because of what media's persona is of someone who is heavily tatted.....its sad really because I know some pretty decent people who are tattooed and they are smart, outgoing, and beautiful like yourself.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    tattoos are lame

Not as lame as your pic. :laugh:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite... when my ink is exposed, I make tons of friends.

Granted, I have my pants off then, but whatever...
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I stopped wondering/worrying about it a long time ago. I like my tattoos and Im tired of people making a judgement based solely on my ink. Im a Marine Infantry Officer, I have multiple degrees, make a great living and Im a generally pleasant person ish... so if Im judged on my ink or my bad military haircut or any # of other things I figure they can GFY and I move on with my life.

But I dont think you are a punk or white trash or any other stereotype...Keep Rocking the INK!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm with Qarol, I always put off the "leave me alone" vibe. That being said when I have my tattoos showing people always talk to me about them. I have heard some of the most random stories about Elvis because I have a portrait of Elvis on my arm.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively shy and anti-social, but I actually get the opposite. More people approach me when my tattoos are visible then when they aren't.....of course, most times it is to comment on them.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Almost shot water out of my nose! Thanks for that!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    tattoos are lame

Not as lame as your pic. :laugh:

the beebs owns you!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Note to self...send friend request.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    ----> oh... let me say - i don't give a crap about who likes me or not. I simply was just contemplating it. <----

I will say, however, when my ink is showing - i DO get ~tons~ of 'attention', it being a conversation starter. My point here is all of the attention is from a certain type of person. I just find it funny how that i believe many of the people who end up chatting with me and talking with - probably wouldn't had my ink been showing.

make sense?
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

LMFAO!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    N...I would talk to you regardless. But it would help if you didn't have so much clothing on...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I only perceive ink as intimidating if the subject matter of the tattoos is gory or scary looking. I know that's REALLY shallow, but that's a factor for me.

A girl with an entire sleeve of flowers/colors/pretty design of almost any kind? Lovely, and doesn't seem intimidating to me.

A girl with a sleeve of demon faces, spurting blood, gory or overly suggestive art? A little scary, to me. I saw a girl who had a giant dragon, curled up and holding it's *member*, and a big spray of blood gushing forth. On her forearm. Combine that with the "love" and "hate" on her knuckles, and ya, I was fully intimidated.

Basically, if it seems like you're trying to scare me with your artwork, chances are, since I'm a chicken, it's working.
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If anything.. my ink makes people talk to me more I think.. Definite conversation starter.