"Dirty and high carb eating"! Works for me!

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
With all the different "diets" being touted, I have to put in my 2 cents. I eat "dirty" and I eat lots of carbs, yet somehow I've maintained basically the same physique for over 20 years.
I eat junk food weekly, along with candy, cake, ice cream, diet soda and Asian food with lots of MSG and sodium. Every year I have a physical, get my testosterone checked, do a stress test and the last time had a cardiac CTA (3D image of heart). Was deemed to have the physical fitness of an average 29 year old and no indications of any heart or coronary problems.

Now do I endorse this type of eating? NOPE. But here are the few things I do recommend. Get in your daily essentials (macronutrients, micronutrients), exercise in both strength and cardio, get plenty of rest, reduce stress and stay within a calorie limit that will keep you from gaining a lot of weight (more than 10lbs). Any leftover calories you have after getting in your daily essentials, enjoy with whatever you want.

Oh and enjoy life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Oh and enjoy life.

Yeah, this is really what it's about. Restrictive diets don't work for most in the long-run, so why make yourself hate eating in the short-run?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    With all the different "diets" being touted, I have to put in my 2 cents. I eat "dirty" and I eat lots of carbs, yet somehow I've maintained basically the same physique for over 20 years.
    I eat junk food weekly, along with candy, cake, ice cream, diet soda and Asian food with lots of MSG and sodium. Every year I have a physical, get my testosterone checked, do a stress test and the last time had a cardiac CTA (3D image of heart). Was deemed to have the physical fitness of an average 29 year old and no indications of any heart or coronary problems.

Now do I endorse this type of eating? NOPE. But here are the few things I do recommend. Get in your daily essentials (macronutrients, micronutrients), exercise in both strength and cardio, get plenty of rest, reduce stress and stay within a calorie limit that will keep you from gaining a lot of weight (more than 10lbs). Any leftover calories you have after getting in your daily essentials, enjoy with whatever you want.

Oh and enjoy life.

IDEA Fitness member
    Agree 100%

I was one of those people that feared carbs or as Martin Berkhan calls them "Low Carb Talibans". After finally learning that ALL macro nutrients are important, my life has been much better.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I definitely love to indulge and wouldn't have had as great success without it!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Oh and enjoy life.

Best diet of all times
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Agree 100%

I was one of those people that feared carbs or as Martin Berkhan calls them "Low Carb Talibans". After finally learning that ALL macro nutrients are important, my life has been much better. Some carbs are of course better than others.
    I eat whole wheat bread (no transfat), potatoes and white rice throughout the week. My eating is about 80% good and 20% whatever I want.
    Being in the industry for years, I've watched so many people (especially the "fit" ones) have fits and stress out if they can't find a place to eat out or foods that can accommodate their eating lifestyle. "We can't eat there" or "their food isn't organic" would lead me NOT to invite them to a party at my house to save them grief.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Enjoying life is certainly key.

But I would humbly submit that if you've maintained your same physique for 20 years, you don't have the same predispositions that most of us on MFP do. The obesity epidemic in the US? The evidence is pretty clear that the population statistics that keep getting touted, hide the reality of subpopulation variance...which is to say, the changes that have led to increased obesity have only affected the susceptible. Those who weren't susceptible to our national shifts in exercise and dietary habits aren't having any problems with their weight. (hint, hint: its not because they're more disciplined people).

So, I have no doubt it works for you. I've also met people who are incredibly disciplined about their diets (so disciplined that they scare me...I couldn't live that way) yet they are always struggling to keep their weight down. Both of these life experiences are just as real. And the current scientific evidence, both population and clinical/lab studies, backs that up.

(and to clarify, I'm not just talking about metabolic dispositions, but behavioral ones as well. For example, some folks can't eat 2 cookies. Its either none, or a tub. In a different era, when someone had to make cookies, from precious resources, and parcel them out to a large family, a predisposition to "binging" would be moot...there would be no opportunity.)
  • AntWrig
    Options

Agree 100%

I was one of those people that feared carbs or as Martin Berkhan calls them "Low Carb Talibans". After finally learning that ALL macro nutrients are important, my life has been much better. Some carbs are of course better than others.
    I eat whole wheat bread (no transfat), potatoes and white rice throughout the week. My eating is about 80% good and 20% whatever I want.
    Being in the industry for years, I've watched so many people (especially the "fit" ones) have fits and stress out if they can't find a place to eat out or foods that can accommodate their eating lifestyle. "We can't eat there" or "their food isn't organic" would lead me NOT to invite them to a party at my house to save them grief.

IDEA Fitness member
    I know that's right.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

But I would humbly submit that if you've maintained your same physique for 20 years, you don't have the same predispositions that most of us on MFP do. The obesity epidemic in the US? The evidence is pretty clear that the population statistics that keep getting touted, hide the reality of subpopulation variance...which is to say, the changes that have led to increased obesity have only affected the susceptible. Those who weren't susceptible to our national shifts in exercise and dietary habits aren't having any problems with their weight. (hint, hint: its not because they're more disciplined people).

So, I have no doubt it works for you. I've also met people who are incredibly disciplined about their diets (so disciplined that they scare me...I couldn't live that way) yet they are always struggling to keep their weight down. Both of these life experiences are just as real. And the current scientific evidence, both population and clinical/lab studies, backs that up.

(and to clarify, I'm not just talking about metabolic dispositions, but behavioral ones as well. For example, some folks can't eat 2 cookies. Its either none, or a tub. In a different era, when someone had to make cookies, from precious resources, and parcel them out to a large family, a predisposition to "binging" would be moot...there would be no opportunity.)

I was thinking maybe it's easier for OP to maintain. Doesn't take much effort?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

But behavior can be changed. We do it with children everyday and adults who don't abide find themselves on the short end. I've always made the statement to clients "if we lived together for 30 days one of us is going to change.............and it ain't gonna be me!"
    My older brother is overweight. He eats too much and doesn't workout. My younger brother isn't overweight, but he doesn't workout either. Both deal with their caloric intakes differently. My younger brother stayed with me for awhile (he's on his own now) while my older brother and I have never lived together since we were kids.
    So I do believe behaviors can be adopted as long as those trying to adopt them are willing.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Well I workout daily (except on Sunday). I eat at least 2500 calories a day and on the weekends (depending on parties) quite a bit more. Every Monday my weight is up, but by Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning, I could be down by 4-5lbs. Then I go through it all again. I do my hardest workouts on Monday and Tuesday (quads, hamstrings and shoulders) along with running on Monday.
    So yeah it takes some effort, but there are many more people that train much harder than I do I'm sure.

IDEA Fitness member
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Well I workout daily (except on Sunday). I eat at least 2500 calories a day and on the weekends (depending on parties) quite a bit more. Every Monday my weight is up, but by Tuesday evening, Wednesday morning, I could be down by 4-5lbs. Then I go through it all again. I do my hardest workouts on Monday and Tuesday (quads, hamstrings and shoulders) along with running on Monday.
    So yeah it takes some effort, but there are many more people that train much harder than I do I'm sure.

IDEA Fitness member

You do maintain very well and you do put in the effort. Do you think for maintenance exercise is really key? Not going overboard but some exercise.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You do maintain very well and you do put in the effort. Do you think for maintenance exercise is really key? Not going overboard but some exercise.
    Absolutely. My regimen has been pretty much the same (meaning I train the same body parts on certain days) with just change ups on intensity, exercises, reps, or rest time so I don't get bored.
    Though daily intake is important too, there will be times that even planned days go wrong. Have enough of them in a row, or a week long vacation, and it can definitely add some unwanted poundage. But by keeping exercise in my life, I've been able to offset some of those obstacles.
    I've been on Disney Cruises 2 times and ate like there wasn't any tomorrow. Both times I gained 7lbs, but it could have been much much more if I wasn't in the gym at 6:00am each morning and running the deck for 30 minutes.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Joining the dirty carb eating crew :tongue:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

Dirty carb eaters UNTIE.... or... unite or something like that :smile:
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I eat out almost everyday, sometimes twice, and even three times a day. Lots of carbs, and especially during a bulk. But carb cycling has helped me during a cut.
  • ronnio_ron
    Options
    very interesting, will wait and see where i go with my MFP plan and if works i will follow this idea....but long long way to go....
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who suffered from ALL or Nothing thinking. Once, I learned I could have some carbs, some junk, some balance... I have been successful.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll admit, I eat out almost everyday, sometimes twice, and even three times a day. Lots of carbs, and especially during a bulk. But carb cycling has helped me during a cut.
    Lazy *kitten*. Better hope you find a good woman who can cook.............................but you're looking beast.

IDEA Fitness member
  • zeuse
    zeuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Don't forget about that little thing called genetics - It can really help out! Every diet needs some slack, otherwise you just end up ditching it. Whats life without the small things? I don't know what I'd do without my pretzels.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Dirty carb eaters UNTIE.... or... unite or something like that :smile:
    I am down for uniting... wait wat?