"Dirty and high carb eating"! Works for me!

Options

Replies

• funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    With all the different "diets" being touted, I have to put in my 2 cents. I eat "dirty" and I eat lots of carbs, yet somehow I've maintained basically the same physique for over 20 years.
    I eat junk food weekly, along with candy, cake, ice cream, diet soda and Asian food with lots of MSG and sodium. Every year I have a physical, get my testosterone checked, do a stress test and the last time had a cardiac CTA (3D image of heart). Was deemed to have the physical fitness of an average 29 year old and no indications of any heart or coronary problems.

Now do I endorse this type of eating? NOPE. But here are the few things I do recommend. Get in your daily essentials (macronutrients, micronutrients), exercise in both strength and cardio, get plenty of rest, reduce stress and stay within a calorie limit that will keep you from gaining a lot of weight (more than 10lbs). Any leftover calories you have after getting in your daily essentials, enjoy with whatever you want.

Oh and enjoy life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

that sounds like me--hence the reason I don't allow other people to see my journal. it will do absolutely NOTHING for them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    With all the different "diets" being touted, I have to put in my 2 cents. I eat "dirty" and I eat lots of carbs, yet somehow I've maintained basically the same physique for over 20 years.
    I eat junk food weekly, along with candy, cake, ice cream, diet soda and Asian food with lots of MSG and sodium. Every year I have a physical, get my testosterone checked, do a stress test and the last time had a cardiac CTA (3D image of heart). Was deemed to have the physical fitness of an average 29 year old and no indications of any heart or coronary problems.

Now do I endorse this type of eating? NOPE. But here are the few things I do recommend. Get in your daily essentials (macronutrients, micronutrients), exercise in both strength and cardio, get plenty of rest, reduce stress and stay within a calorie limit that will keep you from gaining a lot of weight (more than 10lbs). Any leftover calories you have after getting in your daily essentials, enjoy with whatever you want.

Oh and enjoy life.

IDEA Fitness member

that sounds like me--hence the reason I don't allow other people to see my journal. it will do absolutely NOTHING for them.
    Lol, yeah I had a Western Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr. today. Probably not on a lot of peoples list of lunch items.

IDEA Fitness member
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    ]

nice to be you! on that diet I gained buttloads of pounds and was miserable.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe our reference points are different. As someone in the fitness industry, your view of "clean" eating might be *squeakier* than a regular gal like myself. I eat potatoes. Rice. Sushi. Eat dairy. I even drink alcohol (frankly, not as much as I'd like while I'm trying to reduce, but for maintenance? Never had a problem). I don't think of these as *dirty* (okay, maybe the alcohol. maybe. except whiskey. I declare whiskey to be clean.)

But I've never been able to eat one slice of cake. Ever. Or one donut. I'd rather have none than one. Seriously. I literally panic if I've started munching on some bready goodness...but there is only one donut. I start scheming for how I can get my hands on another one. And its not because I'm just a glutton...I'm good with cheesecake, ice cream, anything with a lot of fat and/or protein. But floury goodness? It kills me. Literally. And if you've never had that experience? You will never understand it.

So when someone such as yourself says "you can have treats" and "I do it, so can you!" But you've never actually been in my shoes? Or know what it feels like to feel actually panic over food? (And no...no one beat me with a donut when I was a child. :wink: ) Well...I humbly submit that we really are just made differently. Now. In a famine? I'd win. You'd die first. So I wouldn't say you have better genes. They just seem to be better suited to the context in which we find ourselves.

And of course I believe that genes can be overcome...that's why we're all on MFP. Because we believe in the power of human smarts over the injustices of nature. However, for many of us, avoiding certain things *is* the way in which we overcome our genes. I accept the truth of your experience. I'm just saying that there is more than one experience that has value.

Behaviors are learned. They can be "unlearned" IF there is willingness and agreement to commit. With clients, I don't change their eating choices, I change their total consumption. It's a MUCH easier transition than restriction or having them abstain.
    People make life changes when confronted with serious issues. Since most people don't see overeating or being overweight as a serious issue (we all have the "invincibility" ego in some capacity) they aren't willing to commit nor are willing to do much change.
    Will everyone be able to do it? No. Do I believe everyone can do it? I'm an optimist, so of course I'll say yes. Is it easier for some than others? No doubt. I would hope people would do it in a way where they know that if they engaged in an eating lifestyle, that it's a lifestyle that they won't have difficulty staying consistent with. Regain of weight is usually going to be from dumping the diet that got them to goal in the first place because it wasn't sustainable.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm sure people could do it. If it was life or death . . . (unless they became suicidal and then death by icecream would be THE way to go). The point is that if it is a huge tortuous struggle every time why subject themselves to that agony when they can just not eat that first spoonful of icecream to begin with??? Again you've missed the point.

Other than your stubbornness on this point I agree with you!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    ]

nice to be you! on that diet I gained buttloads of pounds and was miserable.

oh yeah, and more info here.
    I NEVER eat out, bring a bag lunch to work every day,I eat no refined sugar and almost no refined flour. I exercise an average of 1 hour a day, 6 days a week, have been doing so for over a decade. My net caloric intake is an average of 1500 cal. I have been losing about 2 pounds per month.

I would LOVE to be able to just cut calories and lose, but guess what, it ain't gonna happen. I am insulin resistant and have PCOS. If I eat sugars and refined carbs, WITHIN MY CALORIC LIMIT, I gain weight. Really. I flat out cannot eat dirty carbs, full stop, period, or I will gain weight.

So, I'd love to be you, but I'm not.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    ]Lol, yeah I had a Western Cheeseburger from Carl's Jr. today. Probably not on a lot of peoples list of lunch items.

IDEA Fitness member

Last night I went to Cicis......I just ate less there than I usually do and only had 1/2 of dessert pizza and 1/2 brownie......I was under my cals for the day so I wasnt too stressed about it. Glad to know Im not alone in the thought.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You sound very much like me. I'm all about moderation in all things. I like my healthy food and I like my crap food- I just try to make sure the better quality food is the majority of what I eat. On the other hand, this is a very difficult thing for many people to do and genetics DO play a role in that- not just in your predisposition to have a certain physique, but in the ability to follow your hunger cues and make better choices for yourself. I get a little embarassed of some of the stuff I eat, and there is also the fact that I am a bit of an outlier in terms of how my body handles food. I'm very lean in spite of eating 'whatever' I want.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Large Ice Cream cone from Foster's 510 calories. Take off my 500 calories from kickboxing, and I was pretty much even. Still in deficit and 130 calories to go.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Joining the dirty carb eating crew :tongue:

Dirty carb eaters UNTIE.... or... unite or something like that :smile:

:heart:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    oh yeah, and more info here.
    I NEVER eat out, bring a bag lunch to work every day,I eat no refined sugar and almost no refined flour. I exercise an average of 1 hour a day, 6 days a week, have been doing so for over a decade. My net caloric intake is an average of 1500 cal. I have been losing about 2 pounds per month.

I would LOVE to be able to just cut calories and lose, but guess what, it ain't gonna happen. I am insulin resistant and have PCOS. If I eat sugars and refined carbs, WITHIN MY CALORIC LIMIT, I gain weight. Really. I flat out cannot eat dirty carbs, full stop, period, or I will gain weight.

So, I'd love to be you, but I'm not.
    Wish you could too. Metabolic issues suck. Good luck on reaching your goal though and if you need any exercise advice, hit me up.

IDEA Fitness member
  • peaches712799
    peaches712799 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Maybe our reference points are different. As someone in the fitness industry, your view of "clean" eating might be *squeakier* than a regular gal like myself. I eat potatoes. Rice. Sushi. Eat dairy. I even drink alcohol (frankly, not as much as I'd like while I'm trying to reduce, but for maintenance? Never had a problem). I don't think of these as *dirty* (okay, maybe the alcohol. maybe. except whiskey. I declare whiskey to be clean.)

But I've never been able to eat one slice of cake. Ever. Or one donut. I'd rather have none than one. Seriously. I literally panic if I've started munching on some bready goodness...but there is only one donut. I start scheming for how I can get my hands on another one. And its not because I'm just a glutton...I'm good with cheesecake, ice cream, anything with a lot of fat and/or protein. But floury goodness? It kills me. Literally. And if you've never had that experience? You will never understand it.

So when someone such as yourself says "you can have treats" and "I do it, so can you!" But you've never actually been in my shoes? Or know what it feels like to feel actually panic over food? (And no...no one beat me with a donut when I was a child. :wink: ) Well...I humbly submit that we really are just made differently. Now. In a famine? I'd win. You'd die first. So I wouldn't say you have better genes. They just seem to be better suited to the context in which we find ourselves.

And of course I believe that genes can be overcome...that's why we're all on MFP. Because we believe in the power of human smarts over the injustices of nature. However, for many of us, avoiding certain things *is* the way in which we overcome our genes. I accept the truth of your experience. I'm just saying that there is more than one experience that has value.

^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^ - well said, sweet110!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You sound very much like me. I'm all about moderation in all things. I like my healthy food and I like my crap food- I just try to make sure the better quality food is the majority of what I eat. On the other hand, this is a very difficult thing for many people to do and genetics DO play a role in that- not just in your predisposition to have a certain physique, but in the ability to follow your hunger cues and make better choices for yourself. I get a little embarassed of some of the stuff I eat, and there is also the fact that I am a bit of an outlier in terms of how my body handles food. I'm very lean in spite of eating 'whatever' I want.

Haha--me to a T. Yay for not being alone :)
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Okay...so your experience is the right one, and mine is wrong. I just need to learn some different behaviors. Got it. Hey, I lost 70 pounds and kept it off for 8 years. Which for me was more than half my body weight. Which makes me a statistical anomaly in the weight loss world. But...I guess I did it wrong. I really should have been practicing eating half a cookie once a week. Cause it worked for you! Who cares what worked for me!

Well. This has been a life changer. I'm going to run out and get a box of cookies. And me and the cookies are going to have a battle of wills, until I win. Cookie, I shall beat thee! I will win! Win, I tell you! And I will be happier and thinner once I am victorious!

Because we all just need some will power. Even though, as you attest, you've never really needed any in this area of your life. But I'm sure you know all about it.

Thank you, and goodnight.
    from reading what ninner said, he never said his way was the right way, all he was saying behoivers can be learned or unlearned. It just up to the person, but if someone wants to go your route and it works good for you and them. Also eat the whole cookie you seem a bit grumpy :-)
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    from reading what ninner said he never said his way what the right way, all he was saying behoivers can be learned or unlearned. It just up to the person, but if someone wants to go route and it works good for you and them. Also eat the whole cookie you seem a bit grumpy :-)

Grumpiness is allowed in the face of unbridled arrogance. Albeit futile and silly. However, we're both on an MFP forum. Silliness is a given.

...And its the cookies that make me grumpy. I'd knock you down for the 5th one, and kill your mother for the 6th... No. I prefer cheesecake. And I don't count calories or macronutrients to figure out when I can have dessert. I just eat them. I think its a better than fair trade.
  • budhandy
    Options
    from reading what ninner said he never said his way what the right way, all he was saying behoivers can be learned or unlearned. It just up to the person, but if someone wants to go route and it works good for you and them. Also eat the whole cookie you seem a bit grumpy :-)

Grumpiness is allowed in the face of unbridled arrogance. Albeit futile and silly. However, we're both on an MFP forum. Silliness is a given.

...And its the cookies that make me grumpy. I'd knock you down for the 5th one, and kill your mother for the 6th... No. I prefer cheesecake. That's what I had for dessert today. I think its a better than fair trade.
    Lol how about you kill my mother in law for the 6 instead of my mommy and I agree about the sillyness, if anything there needs to be more of it on the forums
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options

...And its the cookies that make me grumpy. I'd knock you down for the 5th one, and kill your mother for the 6th... No. I prefer cheesecake. That's what I had for dessert today. I think its a better than fair trade.
    Lol how about you kill my mother in law for the 6 instead of my mommy

:laugh:
  • budhandy
    Options
    Back on topic for a sec, I don't what will work for me yet, still learning. @sweets love your pro pic, I might do that to my wife cats but I think she would take my manhood away from me lmao
  • Meggeler
    Meggeler Posts: 42
    Options
    Bump