"Dirty and high carb eating"! Works for me!

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear. I'd barely get out of bed in the morning without a good proportion of carbs. Wholegrain pasta and rice is nasty and unnecessary, and white versions don't seem to adversely affect the weight or health of Italian and Asian people who eat them daily.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear. I'd barely get out of bed in the morning without a good proportion of carbs. Wholegrain pasta and rice is nasty and unnecessary, and white versions don't seem to adversely affect the weight or health of Italian and Asian people who eat them daily.
    So true.

White rice, white potatoes, GIVE ME MOAR!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So true.

I'm glad to have them back in my life!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So true.

I made homemade mashed potatoes tonight for dinner. Oh, that was so good.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Kid's wanted potato salad - so I made some for tonight.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I've actually had people argue vehemently with me concerning this. I can't stand whole wheat pasta. It's totally nasty! But the low carbers and Paleo types tell me that if I eat pasta, then I should at least have whole wheat. I ask why. They say fiber and nutrients. I show them the back of the box that shows only a slight difference in either and I assert that I get fiber and nutrients from my other foods (you know, the lean meats and veggies that goes with the pasta, lol). And the argument continues...

If it tastes slightly bad, I won't eat it. My health seems to be just fine eating pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. daily. And I have no issues losing weight as I started at 191 and I am currently at 139 pounds. I was at a low of 128 pounds a couple of years ago but bounced back up for various reasons (my fault, I ate like a piggy, lol). But all the while, I eat cheese pizza every single Sunday and have some sort of "dirty" carbs daily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    One thing about my eating........................I don't worry about binging or craving.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I agree. You have to enjoy life or what's the point?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    One thing about my eating........................I don't worry about binging or craving.

IDEA Fitness member

On very low carb I would worry about binging and craving. I was good for long stretches but as soon as I had a taste I couldn't stop for weeks!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Berryh wrote:
    Lyadeia wrote:

I've actually had people argue vehemently with me concerning this. I can't stand whole wheat pasta. It's totally nasty! But the low carbers and Paleo types tell me that if I eat pasta, then I should at least have whole wheat. I ask why. They say fiber and nutrients. I show them the back of the box that shows only a slight difference in either and I assert that I get fiber and nutrients from my other foods (you know, the lean meats and veggies that goes with the pasta, lol). And the argument continues...

If it tastes slightly bad, I won't eat it. My health seems to be just fine eating pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. daily. And I have no issues losing weight as I started at 191 and I am currently at 139 pounds. I was at a low of 128 pounds a couple of years ago but bounced back up for various reasons (my fault, I ate like a piggy, lol). But all the while, I eat cheese pizza every single Sunday and have some sort of "dirty" carbs daily.
    Yup, I've lost 50lbs and I eat normal foods I buy in run-of-the-mill supermarkets.

I can't cook rice so always use Tilda or similar microwave packs (so convenient); I have cut down on pasta, but usually use De Cecco or Napolita egg pasta; again my baguette consumption has practically disappeared, but eat a mini naan with most meals. I eat lots of fresh veg, fresh meats, fish, but also supplement this with convenience items because life's too short to spend lots of time and money buying organic this & that and making everything from scratch.

And a life without chocolate is not one I wish to contemplate. I enjoy my daily quota without having to eat a packet of biscuits in one go, but I like my carbs as well as my protein and fats.

I also exercise 5-6 times a week, so I can enjoy life, enjoy food, drink and be merry! :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Okay so I had sushi last night and I though I could eat sashimi, options like California roll, Philadelphia roll, and even Spider Rolls would be deleted by some "clean" diets.
    Ain't NO WAY in hell I'm giving up sushi to follow philosophies of a certain diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I don't worry about binging or craving with how I eat either...........

In fact, ditching the processed stuff has alievated cravings or binging that comes along with being bulimic.

Those of us that have to adhere to stricter plans for other reasons should not be blasted or made to feel like we should be partaking in moderation just because others do it.

And I am willing to bet that you are able to consume the higher carb eating plan due to your physical activity levels. Everyone is different.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Great post Niner.

I'm an IIFYM'er, bigtime -- and while I understand that behavioral issues and individual intolerance can, at times, make food elimination a good strategy, I certainly don't think it should be the norm and absolutely not for the ridiculous reasons that people claim.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of this "diet".

And a lot of you are saying that he's only had to maintain and not lose, or that he's genetically lucky. I've lost weight in a similar manner and everyone in my family is overweight, so I'm not genetically lucky.
  • nutandbutter
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

In fact, ditching the processed stuff has alievated cravings or binging that comes along with being bulimic.

Those of us that have to adhere to stricter plans for other reasons should not be blasted or made to feel like we should be partaking in moderation just because others do it.

And I am willing to bet that you are able to consume the higher carb eating plan due to your physical activity levels. Everyone is different.

Really? On these forums I always see people being "blasted" for having processed foods in their diary.
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love all those things too , and then some!!! Unfortunately I never incorporated that with physical activity as much in my life so I gained gained gained, working at olive garden and eating their food everyday didnt help either!!! Calories in calories out...its so simple why cant most people grasp this!?
  • suziecue66
    Options
    I'm also a big fan of this "diet".

And a lot of you are saying that he's only had to maintain and not lose, or that he's genetically lucky. I've lost weight in a similar manner and everyone in my family is overweight, so I'm not genetically lucky.

We know that some have it easier, find it easier losing weight. You do see one skinny family in the midst of the rest of their family that are overweight. Could be that the skinny family member has chosen to watch the calories and exercise to maintain so they don't go the same way.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Okay so I had sushi last night and I though I could eat sashimi, options like California roll, Philadelphia roll, and even Spider Rolls would be deleted by some "clean" diets.
    Ain't NO WAY in hell I'm giving up sushi to follow philosophies of a certain diet.

IDEA Fitness member

I just got back from Japan & I have no idea what those Sushi types are :tongue: Western style ones? Normally I call them Aussiefied sushi :laugh:

Some places around here do brown rice sushi, you know because low GI is better for you.
  • ednabnana
    ednabnana Posts: 304
    Options
    2 slices of sausage pizza yesterday. yay :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Haven't blasted anyone at all. The thread was started to give other people here hope who think that they only can lose weight and be healthy by possibly only following strict dieting. Just giving insight that people don't have to give up things they truly enjoy to achieve success.
    Dieting doesn't have to black and white. Gray is an okay way to do it.

IDEA Fitness member