Starvation mode is a myth, so why do we keep saying it exist

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    And once again resurrected by a brand new poster. Chloetoe- I'm dying to know... Did you find this thread by a Google search on starvation mode and registered just to comment on it? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just curious. (If my hunch is right, Chloetoe is gone for good.)
  • monicapatituccijones
    Options
    I have nothing to add on the topic of starvation mode. I do, however, wonder at the sort of people who post to complain that a thread is tedious and annoying. It's not like the subject header was "Free Cake!" and you got a conversation about starvation mode. It's obvious what this was going to be about. If it doesn't interest you, move along.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to add on the topic of starvation mode. I do, however, wonder at the sort of people who post to complain that a thread is tedious and annoying. It's not like the subject header was "Free Cake!" and you got a conversation about starvation mode. It's obvious what this was going to be about. If it doesn't interest you, move along.

You do realize we're complaining because the thread is two years old, right?
  • samsaints
    samsaints Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    the thread maybe years old but iv only been on mfp a few months so its an interesting read :)
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    b-b-but I didn't eat since breakfast and now I'm starving and my body is holding on to all the fat and I won't lose weight unless I eat 4000 calories now!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Eh, I disagree, I've had my own personal experiences with it. I have an ED, at once point I dropped down to a few hundred calories a day and lost nothing at all and even put on a few pounds. Now I'm sure if I had continued down that path for an extended period of time, I would have ended up losing weight, but at first I definitely put some on.

Fat is not the same as weight. The fact is if you are at caloric deficit you lose fat. You might at the same time retain water and thus gain weight but that is absolutely irrelevant.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Zombie_thread_alert.JPG

dammit
  • monicapatituccijones
    Options
    Who cares how old it is? Some people are still getting something out of it. MFP has new members all the time. Ignore it if it's irritating.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Who cares how old it is? Some people are still getting something out of it. MFP has new members all the time. Ignore it if it's irritating.

Generally people care when they accidently respond to an old thread because they responded to the OP's position and it is annoying to take time to respond to someone to find out that there is basically no chance that they will see your response. Most people to respond to someone's thread simply to entertain everyone and if they do do that it is with cat gifs.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" as it has been publicized is of course BS you don't magically stop losing weight when you severely restrict calories.

The concept of metabolic adaptation however may well be very real. I read a study somewhere with some decent science behind it. Forgive me if I can't really link it you'll just have to take my word for it. But the outcome was that someone who has just crash dieted down to weight will have a slowER metabolism than someone of that weight who has been their all their lives. This is why people often regain weight. Sometimes the actual TDEE seems to be up to 20% slower depending on the severity of the diet.

So the thing to take from this? If you lose slower you will probably have an easier time maintaining your weight. Also metabolic adaptation works both ways. So once you maintain your weight for a while you may find that you suddenly start losing a bit again. Also power lifters who bulk all the time and high performance athletes end up needing inane amounts of calories just to maintain.

This is of course no debunking of CICO that's still the holy grail. But it also means that finding your TDEE may be more complicated for many than just punching in your numbers.
  • andreakurylo
    andreakurylo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" as it has been publicized is of course BS you don't magically stop losing weight when you severely restrict calories.

The concept of metabolic adaptation however may well be very real. I read a study somewhere with some decent science behind it. Forgive me if I can't really link it you'll just have to take my word for it. But the outcome was that someone who has just crash dieted down to weight will have a slowER metabolism than someone of that weight who has been their all their lives. This is why people often regain weight. Sometimes the actual TDEE seems to be up to 20% slower depending on the severity of the diet.

So the thing to take from this? If you lose slower you will probably have an easier time maintaining your weight. Also metabolic adaptation works both ways. So once you maintain your weight for a while you may find that you suddenly start losing a bit again. Also power lifters who bulk all the time and high performance athletes end up needing inane amounts of calories just to maintain.

This is of course no debunking of CICO that's still the holy grail. But it also means that finding your TDEE may be more complicated for many than just punching in your numbers.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Please read this article. I'm so sick of people talking about this "Starvation Mode" thing and how you need to increase calories to lose weight...it's all complete b/s!!! U need protein to burn fat, and lean proteins make u feel A LOT fuller than carbs. So limiting carbs isn't necessarily a bad thing if you aren't feeling "full." I've been eating under 1200 calories everyday, but I also exercise 5-7 days/week. 30 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of different weight training techniques. You would be surprised at how full you can get by increasing your protein intake to about 30-35% of your daily intake of calories. PROTEIN burns fat and builds muscle, and is a healthy and essential way to lose weight and feel full. I'm usually under 50 carb/day...not per meal...per day! Chicken and Ground Turkey have NO CARBS and make u feel full for a longer amount of time than just eating veggies and fruits. I eat a ton of fruits, make smoothies out of strawberries, bananas and blueberries (blueberries have enormous amounts of antioxidants and aid in weight loss) with a little Organic Strawberry Banana juice. I cut up all my fruits as soon as I buy them and freeze them, so when I'm actually drinking a smoothie, it's 100% fruits and antioxidants...not watered down with ice. That's usually my way of snacking and what I give my 4 year old son instead of ice cream. I LOVE TACOS!!! So I've found some pretty amazing whole grain carb smart wraps...one only has 11 carbs/wrap and one is 14 carbs/wrap and the one that's 14 carbs is only 50 calories too!!! So I'm getting whole grains, which help control insulin levels, ground turkey is the meat that I use...and it has no carbs at all and just a little serving or 2 of cheese. It doesn't matter if the cheese is 100-110 calories/serving because this meal is way under 500 calories!!! And what's more is that it's super filling!!! A mistake that people often make when it comes to tacos, is buying pre-packaged seasoning, and unfortunately, a mistake that I've made most of my life! I LOVE Old El Paso's Taco Seasoning...love it. And when my son's father was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease 3 years ago, I started using the one labled "25% less sodium." With Meniere's Disease, you have to cut your sodium intake immensely and this helped. However, from a diet stand point it breaks down to this: 1 package is 6 servings (and u use that whole thing in 1lb of ground meat) 15 calories per serving, 270mg of sodium, and 3 carbs. Doesn't sound like much right? Until you multiply those numbers by 6!!! So I opt'd to make the seasoning myself (which is waaayyy better tasting and healthier!) using chili powder, red pepper, garlic powder (not garlic salt!) and onion powder. You can put in as little or as much as you'd like for flavor and there's no added calories, sodium or carbs! Top w/some organic salsa or even some bottled taco sauce (but watch how much u use of the bottled stuff cause it does contain carbs, but being that this is an extremely low carb containing meal, 2 servings is no big deal) I also chop up tomatos and dice green chilies and add them to the meat for even more flavor and nutrients!!! The only thing I look for with cheese is the reduced fat kind. And here's a direct quote of why u need some fat....

"Triglycerides, cholesterol and other essential fatty acids—the scientific term for fats the body can't make on its own—store energy, insulate us and protect our vital organs. They act as messengers, helping proteins do their jobs. They also start chemical reactions that help control growth, immune function, reproduction and other aspects of basic metabolism.
    The cycle of making, breaking, storing and mobilizing fats is at the core of how humans and all animals regulate their energy. An imbalance in any step can result in disease, including heart disease and diabetes. For instance, having too many triglycerides in our bloodstream raises our risk of clogged arteries, which can lead to heart attack and stroke.
    Fats help the body stockpile certain nutrients as well. The so-called "fat-soluble" vitamins—A, D, E and K—are stored in the liver and in fatty tissues.
    Knowing that fats play such an important role in many basic functions in the body, researchers funded by the National Institutes of Health study them in humans and other organisms to learn more about normal and abnormal biology.
    Despite fat's importance, no one yet understands exactly how humans store it and call it into action. In search of insight, Oklahoma State University biochemist Estela Arrese studies triglyceride metabolism in unexpected places: silkworms, fruit flies, and mosquitoes.
    The main type of fat we consume, triglycerides are especially suited for energy storage because they pack more than twice as much energy as carbohydrates or proteins.
    Once triglycerides have been broken down during digestion, they are shipped out to cells through the bloodstream. Some of the fat gets used for energy right away. The rest is stored inside cells in blobs called lipid droplets. When we need extra energy—for instance, when we run a marathon—our bodies use enzymes called lipases to break down the stored triglycerides. The cell's power plants, mitochondria, can then create more of the body's main energy source: adenosine triphosphate, or ATP."

Eating leafy green veggies and fruits lower on the glycemic index is also SUPER important for weight loss and overall health benefits. Here's some essential info about the glycemic index...which was brought to my attention by my Endocrinologist.

The glycemic index (GI) is a ranking of carbohydrates on a scale from 0 to 100 according to the extent to which they raise blood sugar levels after eating. Foods with a high GI are those which are rapidly digested and absorbed and result in marked fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Low-GI foods, by virtue of their slow digestion and absorption, produce gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels, and have proven benefits for health. Low GI diets have been shown to improve both glucose and lipid levels in people with diabetes (type 1 and type 2). They have benefits for weight control because they help control appetite and delay hunger. Low GI diets also reduce insulin levels and insulin resistance.

Recent studies from Harvard School of Public Health indicate that the risks of diseases such as type 2 diabetes and coronary heart disease are strongly related to the GI of the overall diet. In 1999, the World Health Organisation (WHO) and Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) recommended that people in industrialised countries base their diets on low-GI foods in order to prevent the most common diseases of affluence, such as coronary heart disease, diabetes and obesity.

This link will tell you all about the glycemic index of carb containing foods: http://www.glycemicindex.com/index.php

Berries and Strawberries are really low on the glycemic index...making u feel fuller longer and more satisfied, while bananas are on the moderate side, slightly spiking your glucose levels...but not enough to be super concerned. They are to be eaten in moderation, while watermelon's GI ranges from 72-80 and cantaloupe's GI ranges between 65-70!!! Those should be avoided or eaten in moderation along with lower GI foods.

I was diagnosed with Insulin Resistance 2 months ago and have a best friend who is a Team Beach Body Coach and I'm full of helpful information!!! If u have any questions or concerns feel free to message me and I'll hook u up with all types of info. Believe me, you can easily get filled on 1200 calories/day as long as u eat the right ones!!! The link above for glycemicindex.com will also allow u to search for your fav foods and see how they are rated on the GI scale. It's not just a blog talking about the benefits of eating low GI foods...it has all sorts of tools to help you!!! Good Luck w/everything!!!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    lol @ Team Beach Body
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    And once again resurrected by a brand new poster. Chloetoe- I'm dying to know... Did you find this thread by a Google search on starvation mode and registered just to comment on it? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just curious. (If my hunch is right, Chloetoe is gone for good.)
    And with that one post, Chloetoe has left the building. Drive-by thread bumping. :indifferent:
  • Girlinterrupted33
    Options
    I think it's safe to say that what works for one doesn't always work for another.

I'm on a low calorie diet, some would say too low but I eat when I feel hungry not eat because of a number I'm supposed to live up to.

I'm 33, go for a jog twice a day, practice MMA and my hair is stunning so lol, whatever, I refuse to shove 500 cals down my throat just for breakfast...gross