IDEAL PROTEIN DIET

Options

Replies

• GasGas450
    GasGas450 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm on Ideal Protein also. It's super easy and tasty as can be. I've gone from 255 down to 177 in only a few months, and it was quite simple actually. it's changed my entire way of thinking about eating and nutrition, and it's good to find all that muscle I created back in the 1980's that was hiding under the fat.

Not any more expensive than the way I was (mis)eating before.

Not sure why that girl thinks it is stupid to pay for it, as if she doesn't have to pay for her food she eats on her diet, anyway. And if her stats are up to date, she is well behind the gals i know on Ideal Protein. Not suprising, though, as there is a lot of misinformation out there regarding what is and is not going to keep one in ketosis.

There is a lot of mean spirited, immature replies on this forum. A real "my diet is better than your diet" kind of feel to it. I'm on dirt bike forums that are nicer than this one. I was hoping to find info about working out while in ketosis, but i think I'll look elsewhere, and stick with the positive feedback I get from sparkpeople.com.
  • aliciadpo
    aliciadpo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Good job GasGas. I'm on day #17 and feeling great. I do not feel deprived and I am probably saving money on food (compared on what I spent on groceries before). Also, my husband and I now cook almost every night for dinner and then sometimes eat leftovers. We probably used to eat out at least 2-3 times per week.

I agree that there is a lot of misconception on this site about Ideal Protein.... understandably so. I heard of IP about 2 years ago from a family member who is a nutrtionist. She and the rest of her family were telling me about it and I was sooooo quick to tell them that I thought it was ridiculous and would never do (or be able to do) a high protein diet. I told them, "I like my carbs, I like my bread, I like my fruit and diets like that just don't work" - boy was I ever WRONG.

Now, it's 2 years later and when calorie counting and exercise came to a serious hault for me, I have ironically turned to Ideal Protein and I am so happy I made the decision.

So many people think that ideal protein is simply a hyper-protein diet but it's not just that, there is more to it. It's obviously working for many individuals so I am unsure why people are so quick to jump down another person's throat and knock the concept and protocol.

My IP coach has stated herself that she 100% completely recognizes that this "diet" is not something that you have to do for the rest of your life. She, actually, loves the idea of MFP and calorie counting. I see food differently and realize that certain foods are just not good for me and I should eat them only on very rare occasions... and I am okay with that. My husband and I are "professional eater-outers" as we like to say but I am still able to enjoy our date nights and nights out with friends at restaurants. I am able to follow protocol, feel satisfied and truly enjoy the experience of dinner with friends. I feel just as satisfied and happy on my diet as I would before my diet except I am now eating foods that are so much better for me. I've never eaten so many veggies in all my life and it doesn't bother me at all, I'm enjoying it!
  • djskouge
    djskouge Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love this program...I started the Ideal Protein journey the last week in April, 2012...to date I have lost 77 pounds and 59 inches! I started maintenance on Friday of this past week and it isn't as difficult as I thought it would be! I had to change my mind-set to knowing that I can now have the items that I couldn't have before and have found out that I really do not want to add "that" back into my lifestyle. I have gone w/o yeasty products this long, and feel 100% better why jinx it and fall into that trap again thinking it was comfort food. I did, however, TRY a lemon bar that I love on Friday and was disappointed that it didn't taste like it used to and then an hour later I felt bloated and icky...spiked a hot flash and realized that since being on IP I haven't had a hot flash or that sugar crash, so NO MORE will I try that again.
    One of the attractions for me to this program was the no exercising...I hated to work up a sweat! Now that I am on maintenance, I can begin toning exercises...I can do that...I feel more comfortable doing it at this size instead of doing it in a self conscious mode therefore being more willing to do it!
    At first I thought the cost of the program was outside of my budget! in reality it meant I wouldn't have enough money to buy the foods I wanted like chips, fast food, pop, etc..when I broke it down per meal, it was less than what I was spending on junk food and fast food. This program gave me my life back and so in the end the cost of this program is PRICELESS...
  • CanadianPanda
    Options
    I have joined ideal protein and I begin this Friday, wish ,luck
  • dawnpag
    dawnpag Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Ideal Protein diet and would not recommend it. Yes, when I did it , I lost the weight that I wanted to lose and my numbers also decreased. The flip side of that was putting my body in ketosis - that is not a healthy way to live long-term. I was always hungry and the "food" you have to buy is the equivalent of astronaut food. Everything is in a packet and mixed with some water. Exercise is not recommended.

The one thing I have learned about weight loss, after trying every "diet" out there, is that none of these "diets" can be maintained. They do not teach you a healthy way to live differently. Unless you are willing to make lifestyle changes, then fad diets will eventually fail you, and the weight will creep back up. What I've found that works for me ,and is supported by science and medicine, is to eat healthy, exercise, and moderate portions. It's not the fastest way to lose weight, but it's definitely the healthiest!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I was on Ideal Protein about 3 years ago, and do not recommend it. My Brother, Sister-in-Law, and Husband were also on the program. All of us successfully lost weight. All of us put that weight back on, and more.

I was on the program in 2009, for roughly 3 months. In that time I lost roughly 25 pounds. One year later, I weighed 50 pounds more (25 pounds more than my original weight).

In my opinion, the program is not sustainable.
    In my opinion, the program is putting you on a starvation diet, and in coming off the program, weight will come back on.
    In my opinion, this program messed up my metabolism.

I am very happy for those that have had success. My experience, and that of my immediate family, is that the program is not a long term weight loss solution.

Regarding the products themselves, some of them tolerable, and others are unpleasant. I wouldn't say any of them taste good. None of them are tasty enough that you would consider eating the item if you weren't on the program.

And you were ALWAYS HUNGRY.

I disagree with dawnpag concerning ketosis. I don't believe ketosis is the issue (I'm currently following Keto, which is heavy into ketosis). I believe the issue is that this is a starvation diet. Your metabolism will slow down as a result, and you will have issues coming off the program. I should have known there were problems when even the person representing the product admitted that he had put weight back on.

Best of luck to you.
  • lasmit4477
    lasmit4477 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This is unnecessary and not something that would be an ideal lifestyle, in my opinion!
  • HealthyCait
    Options
    I just started the Ideal Protein diet with my parents. It's only been a week but I can honestly say that so far I am loving it! I know many people say they are "always hungry", but I'm actually finding it to be the complete opposite. I wasn't a real breakfast eater before and now I enjoy their wild berry yogurt drink every day! I also work odd shift hours and it is very helpful to have the pre-made meals that you just add water too. Where before I would go to work without a lunch and just buy take out. Which cost me money and also was unhealthy. I agree that some of the meals aren't pleasant. But there are many options to choose from! I have found quite a few that I enjoy! Especially the chocolate drink which I enjoy heating up in this cold winter weather. Plus with the money I am saving by not eating out this diet pays for itself!

It's also teaching me how to portion control. I was horrible at this before! Now I'm learning to cook with healthy spices and also using creativity to come up with healthy recipes with vegetables and reasonable amounts of meat. For example turnip chips! I would never have thought to try this before!

This diet comes in phases. Obviously these pre-made foods aren't a long term option. The doctor even says that when you start out. The first phases are a "short term fix" for a serious long term problem. I am 5'4 and somehow got myself to 210 pounds. My weight has put my health in serious harm. I am seeing dramatic results! As a health major this diet makes complete sense to me. It's like your simple and complex carbs are the chequing account and your fat is the savings. I ate alot of carbs and thats what my body would burn it's energy from, making my fat savings continue to increase. This diet allows your body the chance to get into that "savings account" and burn away that fat storage fast!!

Once you have gone through the phases you introduce more variety and food options and learn to be in maintenance. This diet gives you a huge running start in the weight loss race and then teaches you how to pace yourself. It has been 1 week and I already have learnt so much!
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure who started gearing this post towards HCG, but if you do your research on IP you will realize that 1. It is NOT the HCG diet....There is no HCG involved at all, and 2. I don't know ANYONE on IP that only eats 500 calories a day. Yes, its restricted, but only by 1000-1200 calories per day. Mention of HCG diet has no place on this thread. Do your research before you start making such assumptions.

All other reservations are fine and completely understandable, but to say IP is the same as the 500 calorie per day HCG diet is just ridiculous.
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have been on IP for 3 months now, have lost a lot and feel great. Also the program has taught me what a sustainable goal for eating should look like, and that this diet (like all others) would fail if I just assumed I could go back to eating like I did which is how I got to where I was at.

The lifestyle change - not this or any other diet - is what makes any crash or reduction in weight successful. Having been skinny my whole life prior to this time it was hard to figure that out on my own when it was always 'automatic' before. Now I get it, and using IP is helping me get back down to where I need to be to start the new me.

Not sure I'm keen on the unfortunate posts of some people here. Maturity should not be lacking, this is not 4chan.
  • __Karl__
    __Karl__ Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My mom has done it and had luck with weight loss but can't seem to stick with it and she re-gains the weight quickly
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Wow so many sales people all in one place. Eat sensibly, exercise sensibly. Repeat. Full stop. Oh and ignore all the sales people along the way trying to flog off rubbish like this. Everyone has a choice of what they do or don't put in their mouths. There is no need to pay for someone to dictate that to you ever.
  • itsuptoyou
    itsuptoyou Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer and health coach and for years have dug my heals in against any program that limited carbohydrate intake. Over the last year, I've worked with such a diverse group of individuals. Some have been able to reach their goals through a healthy diet and consistent moderate exercise while others struggle to lose and maintain even five pounds. Much of this is due to the lack of what most would consider to be "willpower" when in reality it is a chemical addiction to processed foods, sugar and refined carbohydrates. It's easy to say "eat healthy, eat clean and move more" but the reality is that some (not all) people need to basically go through "rehab" for the food addictions. While I struggle with the processed food portion of the IP program and I definitely have an issue with the "free day" in phase four - I have to weigh out the pros and the cons. For my clients with or near to Diabetes, those with heart disease and those with arthritis, fibromyalgia or chronic pain amongst many other issues - I have to say that if they can get the weight off, break the cycle of cravings for foods that are toxic and learn how to make good choices and move safely and effectively once they have reached their goal - then how is it a bad thing? In a perfect world, we would all lose weight from eating better and moving more - but this is far from a perfect world. When I went gluten free - I noticed a significant difference in joint pain, energy levels, bloating and my digestive system quieted down and became "normal". Sugar is a HUGE problem for people and it is in just about every average diet. This program eliminates all the problem foods, takes you back to a much cleaner form of eating and greens are a very large part of the program. Greens are what most people don't get enough of on a regular basis and so getting them in is going to do the body good. I love that people are learning to drink adequate amounts of water on the program as well. This is a hard thing for people to make into a habit. The reason that exercise is not recommended is that the body will tap into muscle as fuel in the absence of carbohydrates. This program is set up to help you maintain muscle mass while burning fat as fuel. The recommendation for those adamant about exercise is that they maintain a light walking program. Most of these people that have done the program were couch potatoes prior to this - so exercise wasn't even part of their daily life anyway. Most of them are carrying around 50-100 extra lbs which 150-300 lbs on their joints...moving is painful. Once the weight comes off they are able to move better and can begin to learn how to exercise safely and effectively. This program isn't for everyone. It isn't intended to be for everyone. I see a greater danger in people hopping off the couch and executing an Insanity Program or P90X program without any training on proper form and execution and without having built themselves up to such an aggressive workout. A diet of processed foods, soda, excess caffeine, sugar, fast foods, alcohol, and unhealthy fats is going to cause a lot more damage than the IP program restriction could ever cause. We spend a lot more on health care including allergy meds, cholesterol meds, Diabetes meds, BP meds, acid reflux meds, fake fiber supplements, etc than this program will ever require. If you have struggled with weight loss and are doing "everything right"...then this may be the right thing for you. I've watched several people go through the program with great success. They look amazing, have more energy, don't look sick, their numbers are all down, they can exercise better, they sleep better, they feel better, etc.... This was right for them..may be right for you. May not. Find what is and be the healthiest you that you can be. Good luck to everyone on their journey.
  • 3palm
    3palm Posts: 5
    Options
    My cardiologist recommended this diet program run through Aspirus Cardio. I had put on a lot of weight and it was beginning to show on my blood work in terms of high glucose and triglycerides. That, along with the added problem of lugging an extra 50 pounds around tiring me out constantly. I was pre-diabetic and facing full blown diabetes. The program is carefully monitored by a cardiologist. An initial review of medical recorded and blood profile were necessary before beginning. A meeting with a diet "coach" was held and several body measurements and a weigh in we're done. An explanation of the program and food purchase came next.
    The initial cost was $150 to cover the review of medical records, blood tests before starting and at 12 weeks, monitoring by the cardiologist, and weekly personal coaching and weigh in meetings through the entire process. The food isn't cheap, but it's not that expensive when regular food costs are deducted. Each meal is about $4. There are several meal selections to choose from. Being "diet food" none are of gourmet taste, while all I've tasted so far are excellent for the results. I just finished my first week (actually 6 days) on the diet and will be meeting with my coach today for a weigh in. My doctors scale at home this morning showed a 16.5 pound loss in 6 days. Wearing street clothes at the initial weigh in and pj's this morning would be somewhere near a 15 pound loss over 6 days. My wife also started when I did and has less to loose. She has lost 6.5 pounds in 6 days. The drop in blood pressure, and overall feeling kicked in within the first 24 hours. Perfect Protein Diet holds initial program introduction meetings in some areas. They are free, and run about 1 hour in length. You just have to call to sign up and register for the meeting. Since this diet deals with all aspects of your body, I think it's important a qualified medical professional, at least an internal med doctor and program be involved to monitor your blood work and other physical issues through the process. With losses like this unqualified professionals will be found trying to take your money.
  • 3palm
    Options
    Well being totally uninformed on individual diet needs and physical conditions places you in kind of a know it all position. Walking in someone else's shoes might be a cure for your minimal knowledge on weight loss, diet and exercise. Then there could be a thread of tightwad in your personality as well. Who knows?
  • 3palm
    Options
    Unnecessary for you. Don't do it then.
  • 3palm
    Options
    How stupid WOULD you be?
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Edited to avoid a potential MFP rule breach...
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Bro, do you even zombie?? 2012 thread??? Sheesh.

Oops sorry JayB0ne, didn't mean you man. :)