Would this be acceptable to you?

Options
13»

Replies

• iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Hi all

Just wanted to run something by folk on here... but first a bit of background.

I'm a PhD student studying Human Health and Nutrition Psychology, however am funded (by scholarship) by a larger organisation much more involved in the food production and manufacturing area, as opposed to the consumer stuff.

My question is basically this:

One product that the scientists are currently working on is using a plant based microparticulate called lignin, with a view to using this in products to replace fat and cellulose. This will obviously have a huge impact on the calorific value of the product, by reducing it dramatically. To date, we've tested chocolate spread and muffins due to lignin being brown in colour when extracted in sodium caseinate.

Would this be acceptable to you, to buy as a product? Lignin is essentially wood...

I'm just really interested to see peoples reactions and opinions to this!

sure, if peer reviewed studies indicate that it's safe, i'd try it. cellulose is already in a lot of food products, and that's wood based, too.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    But our bodies need fat!

Scientists need to develop and apple that tastes like a cheeseburger. that'd help.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I would worry if I noticed a sap flow or sprouted roots on my toes.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't bother buying it. I am fine with foods just as they are.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Really interesting responses thus far.... :)
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it.. lignin is essentially acidic glue. And I never even ate glue in kindergarten.
  • zoedallas
    zoedallas Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    No, I wouldn't eat it. For all the reasons already listed.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    they put fish dna in tomatoes to stop tham from freezing the question is do we get the omga 3 fish oil
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    No I think thats whats wrong with most of us. We need to eat more natural things. This kind of thing only pacifies this situation. All these chemicals and injecting meat with antibiotics. Cloneing animals. I personally am trying to stay away from this type of stuff. We dont know the long term effects of all this stuff.