has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Almost 20lbs gone with Zumba Wii and Jillian Michaels DVD's! And good food! :) No gym membership required!
  • FittingIn
    FittingIn Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Lost all my weight without a gym. Just P90X and diet
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started go to a local park and wogging then bought a 30 Day shred video, been shredding ever since. Great workout "that only lasts 20 minutes"

I bought a few hand weights along the way, too. Who needs a gym.
  • jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Honestly I have stuck with my weight loss longer now that I have a membership. I signed myself up for a 6 month membership. Paid for it. Now I know I hAVE to do it. (can't let my money go to waist.)
    Using MFP and working out at home only lost me 10 lbs, then I was side tracked.
    Now using MFP and going to the gym, I have put myself into a routine, WHICH I LOVE, and I have dropped 22 so far! :)

Its all up to you though. You can try the at home thing and see how it goes. If all else fails, sign up with a gym :)
  • iNkedFiTmama
    iNkedFiTmama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do both .. I supplement my gym days with home work outs.. if I went to the gym every evening I'd never see my husband.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I have lost without going to the gym,do exercises at home
    "you gain 1 hour of life for every hour you go to the gym,but you end up spending that hour in the gym...
  • mrstword
    mrstword Posts: 20
    Options
    I lost 50lbs at home with a bunch of different dvds. Didn't go to a gym not even once.
  • kcmomof2
    kcmomof2 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've lost all mine (74 lbs.) working out in my basement to Insanity DVD's or running outside. Never stepped one foot in a gym. It can be done.
  • sunshine3737
    sunshine3737 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've tried gyms before and the problem is getting there! lol I have a treadmill and a weight machine at home and I don't even have to get dressed to work out which works great for me!
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 lbs. down since last April. Most of that loss (55 lbs.) came from diet control and aerobics at home (biking, running). I purchased a membership to my campus gym in January (am a college prof; at $60 for five months it was cheap) and I'm typically there for 60 - 90 minutes a day 5 days a week. I love having access to the gym for my fitness goals because I can do things that I can't do at home and I have no doubt it has facilitated my continued weight loss now that I'm smaller. But my fitness goals include long-distance running and shaving time off my 5K pace. For serious athletic/fitness training there is no substitute for gym access. If your main goal is weight loss, however, the gym is not a necessity.

If you think you'll use it as strong motivation, it is definitely useful, but you can totally lose weight without it.
  • shrimpboatcaptn13
    shrimpboatcaptn13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    101 Pounds and no gym
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    I lost 25lbs without the gym. just home workouts
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on if I want to get a gym membership or not. I would rather work out at home, but I feel like I would become more fit or even lose weight faster if I joined a gym rather then working out at home.

I've always thought of myself as a gym wannabe. I did lose over 40 lbs having a gym membership, but then I gained 25 lbs back... Guess what... That was WITH the gym membership LOL ;-P

I finally gave it up and am saving lots of $$$. I have an xbox kinect and multiple workout and dance games. I picked up a few weights after the New Years rush was over on clearance and have been loving it. I recently got an elliptical for home also. It did take an initial investment, but it can be done without also. I can afford it right now, so I did it. I couldn't think of any better use than my and my hubby's health.

My hubby suffers from extreme social anxiety, so he quit going to the gym fairly early on. This way he can work out in a comfortable environment too :-D
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've lost this much 5955717.png without going to a gym.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I couldnt have done this if I hadnt gone to the Y and signed up with their bootcamp classes.. we have an AMAZING ex NFL player who takes us through bootcamp, he is so supportive and motivating and encouraging! Its taken some dedication and early mornings (4:30AM) but I would not take it back for anything in the world! My body is starting to feel toned and awesome, and since I pay up front for the month and that forces me to keep going because I really dont have that kind of money to spend!
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I lost my first 40 lbs without a gym.... but now I do have a gym membership. But the first year I had it, I maybe went a dozen times.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I lost about 25 lbs using just MFP, following the calories. I did add bike riding in on the weekends. I would do about a 2 hour long mountain bike ride about 3 times a month. But really nothing more than that. I added in high intensity workouts and lost another 15 or so!
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    15 so far, with no gym...just my wii and running shoes!
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    No gym , 13 lbs so far , have a treadmill at home, was going to join a gym today but got some weight at home will use them instead for now.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Yes, the gym at my work is free!