has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Im going through a breakup.. does that count?!
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have lost 28lbs since Jan 9th so thats what just a bit over two months? Pretty awesome i say! I do not have a gym membership, i just cut the cals, use my elliptical at home, zumba on the wii, and drink pretty much only water.

Good luck and just remember, gym memberships do not equal weightloss, its all about what you put into it... literally!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have lost 19 pounds since January 11th from doing Wii Zumba an hour a day at home and kettlebell routines from myomytv.com every other day.

Right now I'm a stay at home mom. As soon as my youngest starts school I may start going to the gym again.... but right now I'm loving my at home workouts.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i lost exactly half my weight with the gym. half without using the wii and zumba on the wii in particular daily as well as walks. I was fitter just doing the zumba. Got ill and not been able to exercise. lost my fitness. plan on going back to the gym in a couple of months when im able to exercise. like the structure, ill continue with the zumba on days off the gym though. x
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    No gym membership. I do workout videos at home, and log in all my food here. It's working! The nearest gym to my is about 20 miles away. Even if it were a mile away, I would not get dressed, get in my car, exercise, come home, & shower. Sounds like too much work!

:noway:
  • JanetGurl
    JanetGurl Posts: 25
    Options
    From my personal experience I find that if I don't go to the gym I won't workout. I tried to incorporate workouts at home, but found as soon as I got home after work all I wanted to do was relax and wind down. I find the gym has more of a selection for equipment to use for various workouts, and I personally like the atmosphere there because everyone there is working towards the same goal.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight without a gym membership.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I lost about 42 of my pounds without a gym. Just eating less quantity and better quality. I did some DVD workouts and ran. In late December we joined the gym b/c my husband and I BOTH became unemployed and figured why not. I am loving it, but since I am in my last few pounds joining the gym isn't proving to make this go any quicker!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    No gym here.

I started by tracking the number of calories I was eating, doing the 30 Day Shred dvd and walking (which progressed to running). I lost 40lbs between May and mid-December last year.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership while at my university, but, I do a month membership when I am home for long school breaks because I LOVED my gym. I normally workout alone, but I love the option of all the different exercises at the gym, especially the group classes. Plus, there are a lot of weight machines available that I do not have access to at home. During the school year, I use my tiny apartment gym. Not much, but it works! I would use exercise tapes, but, I live in an apartment on the second floor, so that idea is out the window. Also, I love to do stuff outdoors, like running, but the location my apartment is in does not have a sidewalk, and is not runner friendly. Plus, the region I live in has horribly unpredictable weather!

In my opinion, go for it! But, maybe look into a free trial at a gym and see how you like it? :)
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've not stepped foot in a gym and have lost 16 lbs and 17+ inches since December. :)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    V

75 lbs, no gym membership.
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Some people need the gym - I'm not one of them. I live in a small town with few options. I do outdoors things (winter or summer related activities since I live "up north"), use my Wii, and walk whenever I can. Have some weights, too, for strength training.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal (and then exceeded it) without ever stepping foot in a gym. I mostly hike for exercise. I try to lift weights a couple days a week, using a variety of free weights I have in my basement. If the weather or lack of daylight make it impossible for me to do my cardio outdoors, I have a few exercise DVDs I use in hiking's place.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have never stepped foot into a gym.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    No gym for me ... water, eating better, wii and Jillian Michael's are helping me out :)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    No gym membership here. I do have a used treadmill that I bought from an in-law, which I use regularly.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100 pounds and have never stepped foot in a gym. My weight loss has been with a complete change of the way I eat and walking, just walking.

yes, I need to incorporate some strength training for toning, but it is not REQUIRED for weight loss
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have lost 18 lbs since the 1st of the year and have only been to the gym like 3 times so far. I'm really guessing my weightloss is more from walking around and eating right.
  • tjames719
    tjames719 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 pounds since May 2011 without out a gym :) I use a treadmill at home and Jillian Michaels videos.