has anyone here lost weight without having a gym membership?

Options

Replies

• LoriInIowa
    LoriInIowa Posts: 113
    Options
    72 lbs. down (and counting) without the gym. *WHAT* you eat and HOW MUCH is so important.
    Having a gym membership isn't any different than working out at home in ONE area...if you don't DO it...you won't see any results: at gym or at home.

Best wishes on your journey to better health!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I just cancelled the gym membership/ It wasn't for me, never has been. You can lose weight without it. You need to evaluate if it is good for you. I use the Wii and just started Zumba Gold.
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have gone from my heaviest of 250lbs (years ago) to now 130lbs and never set foot in a gym. I do videos, wii games, my exercise bike, walk/run my neighbor hood or walk/run the track when I take the kids to play at the park. You can exercise anywhere. :)
  • JoniM205
    JoniM205 Posts: 9
    Options
    Oh my word!!! Is there hope for me then? I'm just getting started here.
  • meadowmail77
    meadowmail77 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As a single mom, I don't have time, or the money for a gym membership. Instead I took a little bit of my tax money last year and bought a cheap treadmill (after looking up the reviews online to find the best cheap one) and a few work out videos, like 30 day shred and zumba, and have lost my weight at home. I look and feel better. I never have the excuse of "i don't have time to work out" now either. I go to school full time and work 30 hours a week while raising my two girls on my own. I think as long as you find something you enjoy and know you will do, you don't have to have gym membership :)
  • kim_mc
    kim_mc Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 30 lbs and never stepped foot in a gym. I've used workout DVD's and just buy equipment for home. It's hard enough for me to get it done while home and I don't have daycre for my kids for me to get to the gym. It is totally possible to lose weight without the gym.

I would imagine though, that if you have the time, it would be nice to go to the gym because once you're there, there wouldn't be any distractions and you'd get it done!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    i lost weight with 20min a day routine at home .... i wasnt confident enough to go to the gym at the beginning ...

i done
    10 mins dance (jumping about like a nutter) :)
    5 mins of stretches
    5 mins of situps. legups pushups

i lost 14lbs before starting the gym :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds eating well and exercising at home and my husband lost 60 doing to same.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm debating on if I want to get a gym membership or not. I would rather work out at home, but I feel like I would become more fit or even lose weight faster if I joined a gym rather then working out at home.

I lost 32 pounds working out at home... I did the P90X program a few rounds (and still working out) and watched my calories with MFP. I am currently down to something between 10% and 13% body fat which isn't bad for a 53 year old man that has never really been in shape before. You will really have to decide what works best for you, some people have the commitment to work out at home and some need the structure of a gym or a workout class. Try a little of this and a little of that and see what suits you specific needs and personality. Good luck in your fitness journey and may you reach your goals.
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    I have worked out all my life and never owned a gym membership.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I debated on gym membership v.s. Purchasing my own equipment. I went with my own equipment. I find it much easier to just jump out of bed and jump into what ever clothes I want and head to the work out room. It's ready when I am. No waiting for the machine you want. No attitudes. Just me and my space!!!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership but I do use my rec center pool to swim laps. And drop in on some of their classes. But this summer when the kids are home I'll be on my own. Just have to keep the body moving :-)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to 3 children and only one is in school at the moment. I kept asking myself would I actually take advantage of a gym membership? The answer was no. I would make every excuse of why I shouldn't go to a gym and take my children with me (especially when the weather was ugly). Also, the times for the daycare didn't fit into the schedule I have with my children. So with that being said, I bought workout dvds, bought a bike and went for walks.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs without a gym membership. That having been said, I have one now and would have had a much better time of it if I had had one all along.
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I workout at home! .. P90X, Insanity, Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels etc. I have lost close to 50 lbs and didnt workout in a gym once.

newww-1.jpg

^^ loss of 30 lbs between pics (should have taken them from day 1!
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have lost 17 lbs, while I have a membership to the YMCA, I'm actually thinking of dropping it since I lost the weight all at home. I have been using workout DVD's and the kinect fitness games (zumba specifically). I also do the Nike Training Club a free app on my iPod and the equipment I needed was fairly reasonable and mostly already here.
  • firemaiden
    firemaiden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    great post, good to see what others do without a gym. i do a mix of walking, my workout on foxtel and stationary bike
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    Yes, there are many people that don't belong to a gym and getting good results! The best workout is the one that you will do. It does not matter where or what it is. And it is also so about nutrition too!
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18 pounds so far without a gym membership. I don't own any exercise equipment either. Just exercise DVDs, Kinect, and walking.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership now, but the first 30 or so pounds were shed while eating healthy and walking around my neighborhood.