Anyone using liquid chlorophyll? Side effects?

Options
Jodieh75
Jodieh75 Posts: 60 Member
Hi all
I started taking 5ml of liquid chlorophyll 8 days ago, have felt good, inside & out with more energy, no side effects so 2 days ago I upped it to 10mls (dosage on bottle says 5-15mls) Last night I felt really nauseous, to the point of taking bucket to bed with me..just in case.
This morning as I'm not sure if the chlorophyll was the cause I took 10 mls again - so far so good.
I have read all of the benefits and side effects on line so I want to keep going with it.
Does anyone else have any good/bad experiences with this?

Replies

• Jodieh75
    Options
    Anyone? :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    You got me curious........one of the known side effects is digestive tract problems.

I must say the claims made by websites selling the product are nothing short of miraculous! If you want chlorophyll eat spinach rather than buying a supplement that, most likely, contains a minuscule amount.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of catalysts (chemicals that speed reactions) in the plant kingdom (not the "vegetable kingdom"), but chlorophyll is not one of them. It is the pigment responsible for the green color of plants and enables them to "trap" energy from sunlight. This energy and carbon dioxide are then used to manufacture the carbohydrates that all living things use as food. Oxygen is not produced by the breakdown of carbon dioxide but is a by-product of the splitting of water during photosynthesis. Chlorophyll's proponents also claim that it is a natural substance equivalent to the "blood of plants." It is true that a small part of the chemical structure of chlorophyll resembles that of blood, but the functions of the two are entirely different. Nor should most products labeled "chlorophyll" be considered "natural." They are breakdown products produced by exposing plant material to chemicals such as acetone, hexane gas,and copper. The resultant material is no longer chlorophyll. - http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/chlorophyll.html
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why are you ingesting chlorophyll?
  • JayBeeGo
    JayBeeGo Posts: 33 Member
    Options

A very good question
  • Iammelting
    Iammelting Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I take powdered chlorella powder which is simular I think. I havent noticed any side effects. I also take spirulina powder.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options

orion-girls.jpg

Isn't it obvious?
  • Jodieh75
    Options
    I'm taking it as I had read about the many good health benefits it can offer. I am using this brand, here is a link to the website, I don't know if my nausea the other night is related though as I was fine yesterday and this morning.

http://www.swisse.com/products/weight-management-detox/swisse-ultiboost-chlorophyll#!benefits

also be sure to look at the other tabs, FAQs, ingredients etc.

Thoughts?
  • Jodieh75
    Options
    Haha, I have not turned green...yet!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    it never had any side effect when my midwife had me take it. Maybe you got a virus or ate something?
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Rubbish.
  • Jodieh75
    Options
    it never had any side effect when my midwife had me take it. Maybe you got a virus or ate something?

No I am fine now, it was just the once and could have been something else I guess but I wanted other opinions in case it was related to changing dosage. Thanks
  • kkjjll
    kkjjll Posts: 31
    Options
    i have very low blood and it has helped me tremendously, i have taken it for a couple of years now, the benefits of chlorophyl are worth notting, it has helped me enough that i have also taken up sprouting which gives me another chlorophy boost on a more natural way, good for you to try to take control of your health... kuddos to you.... karen :)
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    i have very low blood and it has helped me tremendously, i have taken it for a couple of years now, the benefits of chlorophyl are worth notting, it has helped me enough that i have also taken up sprouting which gives me another chlorophy boost on a more natural way, good for you to try to take control of your health... kuddos to you.... karen :)

What does "very low blood" mean? Specifically how has it helped you?
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I take a variety of supplements however without a doubt my all time favorite is chlorophyll - have been taking it for longer than 5 years.

its actually the one thing that makes a difference to my day - my biggest reason to take it is that it helps my digestion but it also gives me an overall sense of wellbeing.

I don't go a day without it.

FYI if you are in the US, you can get it in tablet form from GNC - triple strength choloroyphll - i now take this instead of the liquid - so much easier...
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I'm taking it as I had read about the many good health benefits it can offer. I am using this brand, here is a link to the website, I don't know if my nausea the other night is related though as I was fine yesterday and this morning.

http://www.swisse.com/products/weight-management-detox/swisse-ultiboost-chlorophyll#!benefits

Thoughts?

Snake oil......

As soon as I see a company selling "detox" and "cleanse" products they've lost all credibility with me. I haven't read the "Herbs & Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide" but would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of peer reviewed clinical trials quoted in it which is one of the biggest objections traditional medical practitioners have with alternative treatments.

I am aware of at least one paper that suggested that chlorophyll inhibited dioxin absorption and aided dioxin excretion in rats (http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1289/ehp.01109289) and another "Low-dose dietary chlorophyll inhibits multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rainbow trout." (http://tools.niehs.nih.gov/portfolio/index.cfm/portfolio/publicationDetail/id/1157423) but seeing as I'm neither a rat nor a rainbow trout......

Like I said earlier.....spinach, cheaper and full of other nutrients.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

Snake oil......

As soon as I see a company selling "detox" and "cleanse" products they've lost all credibility with me. I haven't read the "Herbs & Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide" but would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of peer reviewed clinical trials quoted in it which is one of the biggest objections traditional medical practitioners have with alternative treatments.

I am aware of at least one paper that suggested that chlorophyll inhibited dioxin absorption and aided dioxin excretion in rats (http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1289/ehp.01109289) and another "Low-dose dietary chlorophyll inhibits multi-organ carcinogenesis in the rainbow trout." (http://tools.niehs.nih.gov/portfolio/index.cfm/portfolio/publicationDetail/id/1157423) but seeing as I'm neither a rat nor a rainbow trout......

Like I said earlier.....spinach, cheaper and full of other nutrients.

Disagree. try it. you'll see. the most concentrated form of greens you will ever injest - again... try it. you will see.
  • jamlastsforages
    Options
    Hello.

I've only started using liquid chlorophyll about a month ago, perhaps. It says to drink it diluted twice a day but usually I only manage once a day. It was recommended to me by a family friend. I have Type I diabetes and apparently it helps with glucose level. I read a LOT about it online before finally deciding to try it. So far, my blood sugar level hasn't spiked even once, and that even with me slightly decreasing my insulin intake. I haven't had any side effects from it. Perhaps you should only take the directed amount but the friend who recommended it to me did tell me that she had the same side effects you mentioned when she first started it.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    There is something about chlorophyll... I used liquid chlorophyll a few years ago and it made me feel good but now I make smoothies with kale, spirulina, chlorella, chard, spinach, and/or lettuce mixes for my greens.
  • gtrgtr
    gtrgtr Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Snake oil......

So Medical Practitioners have a big problem with lack of "peer reviewed clinical trials" in relation to alternative treatments. That's fine if you put your faith in Medical Practitioners, but consider that these MD's read journals containing studies that are bought and paid for by the companies selling the drugs. Essentially they are worthless, and you'd be better off taking anything natural and "alternative" than to be taking anything at all that is a chemical drug.