Anyone using liquid chlorophyll? Side effects?

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I hate ingesting anything that tastes like licking the bottom of a lawnmower.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is this to be used in the sunlight and air diet?

:laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Hey, if I can sunbathe and eat at the same time, I'm in.

But I'm guessing chlorophyll doesn't turn sunlight into beer and steaks . . .:grumble:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options

Snake oil......

As soon as I see a company selling "detox" and "cleanse" products they've lost all credibility with me. I haven't read the "Herbs & Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide" but would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of peer reviewed clinical trials quoted in it which is one of the biggest objections traditional medical practitioners have with alternative treatments.

So Medical Practitioners have a big problem with lack of "peer reviewed clinical trials" in relation to alternative treatments. That's fine if you put your faith in Medical Practitioners, but consider that these MD's read journals containing studies that are bought and paid for by the companies selling the drugs. Essentially they are worthless, and you'd be better off taking anything natural and "alternative" than to be taking anything at all that is a chemical drug.

And the manufacturers and distributors of chlorophyll and other "naturopathic supplements" only have your best interests at heart, right? And because the only way to use the scientific method must be to take money from the pharm companies, right? They aren't out there to make money at all, right?

I have a bridge …
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So Medical Practitioners have a big problem with lack of "peer reviewed clinical trials" in relation to alternative treatments. That's fine if you put your faith in Medical Practitioners, but consider that these MD's read journals containing studies that are bought and paid for by the companies selling the drugs. Essentially they are worthless, and you'd be better off taking anything natural and "alternative" than to be taking anything at all that is a chemical drug.

That is a very broad brush.

Did you know that the drug Depakote is based on research on the Valproic acid contained in the Valerian plant? Treating illnesses like Epilepsy and Bi-Polar require consistent dosages in the blood stream to be effective. Prepared homeopathic Valerian will often provide a relief of symptoms, but it will not provide the consistency Depakote can. As far as who is better off, that is a personal decision. In it's natural and synthetic form, Valproic acid has serious side-effects.

The value of the scientific work in peer review is proportionate to the competence of the peers. In the same way your ability to make rational judgements is tied up in your bias, your experience, your level of understanding . . .

I've read many papers written on a variety of subjects. Some left me wondering how these people got a degree and others have been absolutely brilliant. Science is a process of discovery, not a static pillar dispensing "truth" on paper. The FDA is not a scientific organization, it is a regulatory body that has made some very serious errors.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of catalysts (chemicals that speed reactions) in the plant kingdom (not the "vegetable kingdom"), but chlorophyll is not one of them. It is the pigment responsible for the green color of plants and enables them to "trap" energy from sunlight. This energy and carbon dioxide are then used to manufacture the carbohydrates that all living things use as food. Oxygen is not produced by the breakdown of carbon dioxide but is a by-product of the splitting of water during photosynthesis. Chlorophyll's proponents also claim that it is a natural substance equivalent to the "blood of plants." It is true that a small part of the chemical structure of chlorophyll resembles that of blood, but the functions of the two are entirely different. Nor should most products labeled "chlorophyll" be considered "natural." They are breakdown products produced by exposing plant material to chemicals such as acetone, hexane gas,and copper. The resultant material is no longer chlorophyll. - http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/chlorophyll.html
    omg please marry me.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand why anyone would take chlorophyll unless they're a triffid?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My dietitian gave me some when I went on a diet 14 years ago. All it did is make me puke. I can't physically stand the stuff.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it, but it tends to make me pass gas more often. lol The cholorofresh stuff I buy is awesome tasting, not sure if it does anything or if it's a placebo effect.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Oh man.... I got confused between chlorophyll and chloroform..... I was thinking what the heck does someone need that for?!?!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Snake oil......

As soon as I see a company selling "detox" and "cleanse" products they've lost all credibility with me. I haven't read the "Herbs & Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Guide" but would hazard a guess that there aren't a lot of peer reviewed clinical trials quoted in it which is one of the biggest objections traditional medical practitioners have with alternative treatments.

So Medical Practitioners have a big problem with lack of "peer reviewed clinical trials" in relation to alternative treatments. That's fine if you put your faith in Medical Practitioners, but consider that these MD's read journals containing studies that are bought and paid for by the companies selling the drugs. Essentially they are worthless,and you'd be better off taking anything natural and "alternative" than to be taking anything at all that is a chemical drug.

I would rather put my faith in a trained medical professional held to ethical standards and regulation, instead of a used car salesmen turn supplement pusher whose products have free reign.

Goat Pills are natural and most definitely "ALTERNATIVE".

People you dont need supplements. Supplements do more harm than good, and the bad thing is, you dont know until the damage has been done.

Everything in the right dosage, taken long enough can cause harm. A person can smoke one cigarette and suffer no ill effects; but if that person smokes 30 cigarettes for 20 years he will develop serious health issues....and tobacco is natural.

How many of you take a daily mulitiple vitamin. How much iron is in it? Do you realize that too much iron is dangerous and the vast majority of people dont need iron supplements? Iron can cause hemochromatosis, especially in men and it often doesnt appear until middle age.

This thread started with the OP asking if Liquid Chlorophyll had side effects as she had increased her dosage and became nauseous. Many replied, "nope, I have been taking it for years"....but no one knows what they or the OP have ingested because supplements are not regulated. There is no standard for supplements.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/dangerous-supplements/index.htm

People are always chasing the elusive, latest and greatest exotic "super food" fad. Akai berry, chia seed, raspberry ketones, goji berries, quinoa, while shunning the much cheaper and boring super foods we have readily available, strawberries, blueberries, oranges, spinach, apples, bananas, broccoli, etc.

Focus on eating a balance diet and save your money.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Chlorophyll? More like BOREophyll.

- Billy Madison
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In the words of one Billy Madison "chlorophyll for like boreophyll
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Oh man.... I got confused between chlorophyll and chloroform..... I was thinking what the heck does someone need that for?!?!

That's what I read at first, too! I thought: I guess if you're unconscious you can't eat? :laugh:
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The only issue I had with it was gas. It wasn't a lot, I kept taking it, but it was noticeable.