does anybody else struggle to drink the required amount of w

Options
It is one of my main worries - I can't seem to drink enough water. If it were tea, I'd be fine! I only seem to be able to drink 4-5 glasses of cold water a day. Any tips on how to make it more "interesting" or how I can force myself to drink more?

ta!

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I usually only drink 4 glasss a day. Sometimes less, and very rarely more, and I'm still losing weight. I don't have much to lose so you would think that not drinking the full 8 cups would hinder my progress, but it doesn't. If I'm not thirsty, I don't drink. Many people may disagree, but it works for me!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, but I never drink water to just drink it. I'd be full and miserable otherwise, I drink when thirsty.

I find it helps me to drink some of the Crystal Light packets which helps when I am thirsty and helps jazz up just plain water. (It says the serving is 1/2 packet, well I always drink the full packet, it's only 10 calories) Too little it tastes watered down to me, plus the water bottle I use and prefer is at least 16 1/2 ounces and I believe the 8oz of water per day that is recommended is approx. an 8oz size glass which really is not that big so I suppose 8 glasses a day is quite do-able. I also count my coffee as water intake as well.

Basically drink when thirsty, but don't force yourself to drink water 'just because'.
  • momof3boys090808
    momof3boys090808 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use to have that issue where I'd go all day without drinking and now that's where I focus more on. I have a large 32oz cup that I use all day everyday. So I know two full ones I reached my amount. I use mi0 liquid to flavor my water. It helps. I carry my cup everywhere I go and drink little at a time :)
  • bitterfusion
    bitterfusion Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    YES!! I used to think I drank lots, but since keeping track, I've realised it's not so much. Most days, I struggle to get over 5, especially with drinking other drinks like tea and coffee throughout the day. On days that I exercise, I find it easier, but that's obviously due to the fact that it makes you thirsty! My mum used to start her day by drinking 2 glasses of water in the morning, so maybe that would help...
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it. i maybe drink one glass of water in a day. the rest of my liquid is *gasp* diet soda, occasionally crystal light, and some almond milk. the rest of the liquid i consume comes from my food: juicy apples, grapes, cucumbers.... you get teh idea. If you aren't dehydrated. dont' sweat it :-) you'll find tons of people on here who see drinking ridiculous amounts of water as a panacea (cure for all ills) it's not. hydration is important, but it won't cure cancer. for me, i have enough goign on in my day. every time i have to pee I bring an audience with me (my 2 little kids). it's not my favorite thing to do. i'm not going to drink so much water that I pee every hour and it's totally clear... but that' s just me
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    It is one of my main worries - I can't seem to drink enough water. If it were tea, I'd be fine! I only seem to be able to drink 4-5 glasses of cold water a day. Any tips on how to make it more "interesting" or how I can force myself to drink more?

ta!

Tea contains water doesn't it?

Drink more tea..no problems. It counts!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I can't destinguish thirst so, I keep a bottle on my desk and sip every 15 minutes or so. If I haven't drank enough water, I fill my bottle up for the drive home and sip everytime I am stopped. I manage to drink about 6 glasses now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that while MFP pushes water (cheap, 0 cal) it's really your total fluid intake. Tea counts too, as does coffee, juice etc - you just don't want to go overboard on caffeine (mildly diuretic), sugar and sodium.

Judge your state of hydration by the colour of your urine - if it's dark you're dehydrated; and trust your thirst.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I chug 16oz of water as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning. At first, it seemed like a lot, but I've gotten to where I crave it. I'm not much of a sipper, so I chug a few times a day and that takes care of it. When I do want to sip, it drink carbonated water (no flavoring unless it's a twist of lemon). It's pretty refreshing. I don't count coffee or diet colas. I've heard over the years that caffeine is dehydrating.
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    I never really bought into the "8 glasses per day" thing.

Then I read the studies about how much water our bodies generally need, and how most of that volune is contained in the food we eat, and was really not swayed by the claims we need TO DRINK eight 8oz. glasses of water a day.

Myself, I did try to increase the amount of water I drink, and found above around 1.5L, I felt ill, bloated, and loagy. But, I am a water drinker by nature (barely touch carbonated drinks or alcohol, and only drink low GI juices). I STARTED drinking coffee when I started trying to lose weight, because of the purported benefits. I drink black tea maybe 10 times a year. I have increased the amount of green tea I drink, as well.

Maybe it's my plant-based diet, but I know that it is uncomfortable (nauseating, really) to drink more than about 1.5L of liquid water per day, for me.

I remember an unscientific challenge ("study" would not be accurate) of two twins who lived by the 8/8 thing. One continued drinking eight 8oz. glasses of water per day, while the other twin wasn't allowed any beverages at all. The second twin's water needs were to be met wholly via her food consumption. At the end of a week, they tested both, and both were perfectly hydrated and healthy looking.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    i put 2 scoops scivation xtend (grape flavour) in a litre of water and have no problem drininking 2-1/2 ltrs a day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

ta!
    There is no "required amount of water." The only requirement is to stay hydrated. Drink tea if you like tea, it hydrates you just the same. It is 99% water, after all.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options

ta!
    There is no "required amount of water." The only requirement is to stay hydrated. Drink tea if you like tea, it hydrates you just the same. It is 99% water, after all.

I too was unaware of any "requirement"! Drink when you're thirsty, that's what I do.
  • keependuring
    keependuring Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Tea, diet sodas, flavored drinks all count. They all have water and should not have sugar for best results.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

ta!

I agree!! Drink as much tea as you like!!

Tea contains water doesn't it?

Drink more tea..no problems. It counts!
  • juresch
    juresch Posts: 2
    Options
    this may sound wierd, but I have found an alarm at www.kukuklok.com
    and I set it for an hour at a time while I am at work. When the alarm goes off
    I try to drink as much water as I can and then I reset it for another hour.

SInce I have been doing this, I find that I drink alot more water during the day.
    When I don't have the alarm set, I tend to go MANY hours and then remember,
    "oops, I haven't been drinking my water today, and the day is half over!!"

It works for me! give it a try!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Add some vodka to your water w/ a slice of lime. :laugh:

Just teasin'!

During the summer I tend to drink more iced tea than water. I do try to drink at least get 32 oz of just water, but don't worry about it too much.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    "I want you to drink until your pee is clear, is that understood?" "Sir yes sir!"

Maybe it's just a military thing, but it works for me. After you're clear, it just seems like your making you're non-muscular organs do unnecessary work. The big danger is if you do exercise a lot or are sweating from the heat and you're not clear, you can run into some dehydration problems.
  • apapandrea
    Options

ta!

But don't forget that tea and coffee (and many sodas) have caffeine in them, which does have a dehydrating effect! Try caffeine free teas and sodas if that is the route you so choose. (I personally am a huge advocate for drinking lots of water, but I'm not here to preach, just to offer some advice!)
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i force myself to drink water through the day at work but i hate it. im drinking when im not even thirsty, makes me feel quite sick after a while :grumble: