does anybody else struggle to drink the required amount of w

Options

Replies

• meadowmail77
    meadowmail77 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I add some fresh squeezed lemon to mine when I'm struggling to drink enough. It helps :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "required amount". I drink when I feel I need to or should and that's about it. I don't worry about pounding back that extra 4 glasses before bed because I haven't made the 8 glass quota. I just do what feels right for me. Some days, I dont drink any water.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I have been focusing on drinking a lot more water. I think the actual recommended amount is half your body weight in ounces... and for every tea/pop/coffee you have to drink 2 additional glasses...

Anyways...there are lots of ways that you can do it....make it taste good by adding fruits like lemons/limes/berries... Drink it ice cold! Drink it with a straw!

Always carry a bottle with you.

Or, drink down a glass every hour on the hour...like clock work....

And if all else fails then just force yourself. For me I find that once I increased my water intake and forced myself to make a habit of drinking more that it just started to come naturally. After a week or two I really noticed a difference.
  • holthaus30
    holthaus30 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just to add flavor when I get tired of water I use the Mio liquids, spices things up a bit. Plus they are 0 calories.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i don't drink the 8 glasses of water a day. but when you count decaf / tea / etc, i certainly do.

it's almost entirely H2O.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    It is one of my main worries - I can't seem to drink enough water. If it were tea, I'd be fine! I only seem to be able to drink 4-5 glasses of cold water a day. Any tips on how to make it more "interesting" or how I can force myself to drink more?

ta!
    There is no "required amount of water." The only requirement is to stay hydrated. Drink tea if you like tea, it hydrates you just the same. It is 99% water, after all.

But don't forget that tea and coffee (and many sodas) have caffeine in them, which does have a dehydrating effect! Try caffeine free teas and sodas if that is the route you so choose. (I personally am a huge advocate for drinking lots of water, but I'm not here to preach, just to offer some advice!)

Tea contains less than 70mg of caffeine, often WAY less.
    You need to exceed 500-700mg of caffeine for it to have a diuretic effect.

So tea and coffee essentially have the same diuretic effect as water itself.

Carry on with the tea. Just don't overload with sugar (nothing to do with the liquid, just hidden calories)
  • It's a habbit, initially i was drinking 3-4 galss of water, now i am talking atleast 11-12 glasses of water daily. Make it a habbit to drink a glass every hour, it may be difficult initially, but slowly it becomes a habbit and then if you don't drink you will feel thirsty.
  • juresch
    juresch Posts: 2
    Options
    I found an alarm clock for my computer at www.kukuklok.com
    I set it for the top of the hour while I am at work. When the alarm goes
    off, I drink as much water as I can, then reset it for another hour.
    I have found that I have been drink ALOT more water with this
    little reminder.
    When I don't have the alarm set, I find that the day is half over and
    I have consumed very little water.
    This little trick works for me.
  • paleojamie
    paleojamie Posts: 191
    Options
    It is one of my main worries - I can't seem to drink enough water. If it were tea, I'd be fine! I only seem to be able to drink 4-5 glasses of cold water a day. Any tips on how to make it more "interesting" or how I can force myself to drink more?

ta!

How about squeezing a small amount of fruit in :) Squeeze of lemon or lime perhaps.
  • vartanfan71
    vartanfan71 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I love the mio flavors! I drink 12-14 cups a day of water, sometimes more
  • lu136mickey
    lu136mickey Posts: 202
    Options
    I have a problem with all the water also, try some lemon juice in it, google fruit water it is good and makes the water more intresting with out all the calories
    :drinker:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    i force myself to drink water through the day at work but i hate it. im drinking when im not even thirsty, makes me feel quite sick after a while :grumble:

Not to preach but too much water can be a bad thing. Of course you would really really have to drink a ton of water for it be dangerous and even deadly. Just listen to your body and don't force it. I too at times have gone overboard thinking "I need more water" and then I feel very full and I feel heavy in my stomach. Not to mention I have to pee like a racehorse all day! :laugh:

Too much water!
  • Sidonas
    Sidonas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keep a glass (or mug, in my case) of water on hand at all times. You will find you drink it without thinking about it. Hospital mugs are great, since they have the ounces of water measured on the side of the mug.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

ta!
    There is no "required amount of water." The only requirement is to stay hydrated. Drink tea if you like tea, it hydrates you just the same. It is 99% water, after all.

But don't forget that tea and coffee (and many sodas) have caffeine in them, which does have a dehydrating effect! Try caffeine free teas and sodas if that is the route you so choose. (I personally am a huge advocate for drinking lots of water, but I'm not here to preach, just to offer some advice!)

It takes a massive amount of caffine to have a diuretic effect. The average person can not even consume enough in a day. 500-600 milligrams
    Nice Mayo clinic article on it.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • DorothyR87
    DorothyR87 Posts: 113
    Options
    I actually really like water so I have no problem getting in the required amount. One thing you can add to your water are drink mixes. Benefiber actually makes flavored packets to add to your water so not only are you getting more water intake with a yummy taste but you also are getting more fiber.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    it was dredfully hard for me at first and now I average 10-12 glasses a day. What helped me was to have a 24 oz bottle besides me at all time. I make it my morning goal to finish the bottle before lunch. Then I refill it at lunch and make another goal to finish it by 5 then the last fill in the evening. This is what worked for me but everyone is different. Good Luck!
  • daniellertowry
    Options
    I too have such a hard time drinking water. Wish I could offer help ...
  • alpha_andy
    alpha_andy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you take some creatine monohydrate you won't drink 8 cups, you'll drink 8 liters of water...
  • des24rob
    des24rob Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I do struggle to drink enough water. I usually only get 3 16 oz glasses in. But the people above are right, Most important thing is to stay hydrated. What kind of tea are you talking about ? Calorie/sugar laden tea or just dunking a tea bag in water? If it's tea bag + water. I'd for sure count it as water :)
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Tea is water too!

I use the MIO flavors to add to my water, that is a big help, otherwise I wouldn't drink any water at all.