lifting weights

Options
1235»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Study after study show that challenging muscle with overload will yield better results compared to using lighter loads with higher repetitions.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I agree.

What is your advice for people just starting out, overload straight away, or lighter weights with more reps to strengthen joints first?

Genuine question btw, only asked because one of the first responses on here was from someone saying "great to know, I'm starting out" and I wondered what your advice would be. :)

[I'm not a certified personal trainer but....]

When starting out, the main emphasis should be on form, and getting familiar with the exercises. Many of us will have enough trouble just putting our bodies in the right position and developing the flexibility just to hold the bar in the right place, etc. At that point in the game, # of reps don't matter too much. Perhaps more reps are actually better at this stage, as this will give more practice to learning the motions. After a couple of weeks of just getting some basics of form down, the beginner can start one of these programs in earnest, at a pretty light weight (just the bar, say). And then gradually increase the loads each session or each week. This should give enough time for the the body to get comfortable with the motions before getting to really heavy weight.

For the exercises that are especially difficult to get the hang of, there is no shame in keeping the weight low and really learning the form before proceeding. Form is everything.

If it hurts, it's too heavy. If form suffers, it's too heavy. Otherwise, it's good.
    Great reply Taso. With any new client, when I start out, it's form first and how to BREATHE correctly. Repetition will build habit so for about 2 weeks I have them do 10-12 reps so they can acclimate to the exercise and soreness and to get into habit of good form.
    Progressively from there I increase weight and lower the reps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Study after study show that challenging muscle with overload will yield better results compared to using lighter loads with higher repetitions.

IDEA Fitness member
    I agree.

What is your advice for people just starting out, overload straight away, or lighter weights with more reps to strengthen joints first?

Genuine question btw, only asked because one of the first responses on here was from someone saying "great to know, I'm starting out" and I wondered what your advice would be. :)

[I'm not a certified personal trainer but....]

When starting out, the main emphasis should be on form, and getting familiar with the exercises.

For the exercises that are especially difficult to get the hang of, there is no shame in keeping the weight low and really learning the form before proceeding. Form is everything.
    Thanks, that's my view too. I had a rather dodgy knee when I started my weight training, fortunately I had a clued up fitness instructor but it worried me to think of people right at the start of a new fitness regime trying to work their muscles "to failure" straight away.

Obviously that's the goal, but doing it on your first workout sounds like a recipe for disaster to me!