Healthy Eating Harassment

Options
So this has been in full effect recently since I am on spring break with a bunch of friends, but does anyone else get nagged on or "harassed" for eating healthy? It seems like every time I make a meal someone is harassing me for eating healthy.
"A bowl of cheerios and a banana for breakfast? Gross"
"What are you a rabbit? (Celery and carrots)"
"Would you like some turkey with that sandwich?" (Making a sandwich with a bunch of greens)

It just seems like a nonstop cycle of being "criticized" for being healthy, and it's really annoying but also demoralizing. I'm trying to do the right thing (especially during break) and I'm just getting negative comments on it.

This happens at home with my roommates also. They order pizza or are eating desserts, and I'm sitting there with an apple and get bashed. It even happens when we go out to eat. If I order a salad or a "healthy" option I'm cast as a bad guy (I ordered a bison burger with a low-carb bun the other day and got bashed by the entire table!) :(

Replies

• nessafly
    nessafly Posts: 58
    Options
    I happens all the time. People are too lazy to eat healthy themselves and feel threatened-guilty when they see someone else who does. I always notice true friends and people who love you are happy and supportive, and may even help or join you :wink:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Well, I suppose you could retaliate by commenting on what they're eating, but I'm guessing you want to be the bigger person :)

Not everyone understands. Not everyone likes being shown a mirror that displays the poor choices THEY are making, which is what happens when you choose to eat something healthy and they reach for a slice of pizza.

I guess in your position I would do one of the following:

1. Ask them to knock it off because it bothers you (but, given their relative insensitivity, I'm not sure they'd be so open to this).
    2. Say "what's it to you if I eat this? Does this affect you in some way?"
    3. Just play along, smile and nod, eventually they'll tire of it.

It's frustrating when everyone else is poking fun at you, I still get this to some degree even though I've been at this for nearly 2 years. It's more about them and less about you. Do what you need/want to do and tune out the rest.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I usually find when you snap at someone to mind their own business a few time they learn to mind their own business.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    So this has been in full effect recently since I am on spring break with a bunch of friends, but does anyone else get nagged on or "harassed" for eating healthy? It seems like every time I make a meal someone is harassing me for eating healthy.
    "A bowl of cheerios and a banana for breakfast? Gross"
    "What are you a rabbit? (Celery and carrots)"
    "Would you like some turkey with that sandwich?" (Making a sandwich with a bunch of greens)

It just seems like a nonstop cycle of being "criticized" for being healthy, and it's really annoying but also demoralizing. I'm trying to do the right thing (especially during break) and I'm just getting negative comments on it.

This happens at home with my roommates also. They order pizza or are eating desserts, and I'm sitting there with an apple and get bashed. It even happens when we go out to eat. If I order a salad or a "healthy" option I'm cast as a bad guy (I ordered a bison burger with a low-carb bun the other day and got bashed by the entire table!) :(

yep.

my favorite :

hey, we're trying out the new massive portion restaurant with nothing healthy on the menu / friedsugarlard all you can eat buffet. come on, man, you can eat every once in a while.

nope. door locked, phone unplugged. lol
  • WhatDoesLisa
    Options
    Ok, if that is really you in the picture (HA HA) then who cares what people say? You look like you are in great shape! I wish I had that commitment, maybe that's what all the sniping is about? We criticize in others what we can't do ourselves.:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    It should only bother you if you feel you're depriving yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Your profile provides your comeback:
    I have already lost 65 lbs and don't plan on losing any more, so I just want to use MFP to keep my weight where it is.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ALL
    THE
    TIME

An my answer is always the same... I c o c k an eyebrow and tell them its making my sex life incredible.
  • cinasana
    cinasana Posts: 40
    Options
    They're jealous ;) And probably all contemplating doing the same....

You look GREAT. Keep it up.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Really? All of you have friends that harrass you and bash you for what you eat? Do you make comments about their food or something? I am around some pretty nasty people on a regular basis and they don't even do this.

If you are eating what you are happy eating, then don't worry what anyone else says about what you are eating. If you are complaining or commenting about how you want to eat that other stuff, then budget for some fried/sugar/allyoucaneat/pizza. Just make sure you don't go overboard and do it every night. I will go out with people and if there is nothing someplace I want to eat, then I enjoy their company. I don't make anyone feel bad about what they are eating and if they ask, I just say I am not hungry, but I am enjoying their company. Not so hard, and I don't have to lock myself in my house and not answer my phone.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    An my answer is always the same... I c o c k an eyebrow and tell them its making my sex life incredible.

Love it!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    :
    ALL
    THE
    TIME

^^^THIS!!:love:
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I would make better friends.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    ALL
    THE
    TIME

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    My 2 best friends from high school were having this problem over spring break. One has put on a solid 50lbs since graduation and wanted to eat out every single day, while the other friend and I are working on losing weight. The friend didn't say anything to me, but bitched for DAYS that the other friend wouldn't go out the last 2 nights because she's watching what she eats..

I think she really does feel guilty that we're both losing weight and she's still packing it on. That's probably the case with your friends, as well.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    maybe im just lucky - but ALL of my friends and family support me. ive never gotten crap for making a healthier choice, or eating a smaller portion than everyone else.
    that said, i also dont shy away from socializing. if we're going out to eat at red robin, i figure out my calories FOR THE WEEK. i may over do it that day, but it gets made up for at some point (if not that day). if we're going to an all you can eat place, im in heaven ;)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I love when people stop by a thread just to happily announce to everyone having this problem, that they dont have it, AT ALL

:smile:
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I just ask "are you going to finish that chip on your shoulder?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    I love when people stop by a thread just to happily announce to everyone having this problem, that they dont have it, AT ALL

god forbid someone share different experiences ;)
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

lol.