contemplating quitting smoking...need advice

Options
1235»

Replies

• Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I had a friend ask me to help her quit. We walked over to the 7 eleven and I knew she was jonesing for one big time because she had quit cold turkey. She tried to buy a pack and I grabbed her card and stuck it in my pocket. I took her outside and showed her the people that smoke a long the wall across the street at the office and how sad and miserable and drugged out they all looked.

It was like a scared straight thing. Kinda funny.

Sometimes people need a support group, I just wouldn't let her buy them. Yeah she was a witchy woman for a few days but she is still sober from the cigs for the last 3 years.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump

how's it going, am stopping tomorrow, april 6, good friday
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    bump

do it ,it will be a good friday for you if you do,,it's the best decision I have made in a while,3 weeks on sunday,feel so much better....
  • connie3408
    Options
    bump

do it ,it will be a good friday for you if you do,,it's the best decision I have made in a while,3 weeks on sunday,feel so much better....

Congrats on your 3 weeks !! Well Done !! I quit today ....hope I can do as well as you !
  • lrforge
    lrforge Posts: 17
    Options
    When my hubby and I quit, we used the Nicorette inhaler and it worked awsome! I was done in 1 week and my husband it took4 months. You use cartrides ( the insurance covered it and we shared it) still gives you that burn you get in your throat from inhaling, we still could do it in the car or at work, etc. and I was never tempted to eat to replace anything.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Why all the contemplation? JUST STOP! This is coming from someone who smoked for 6 years, and quit COLD TURKEY 8 years ago. You can do it.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Weight gain from quitting smoking is usually the fact that people tend to compensate for the loss of cigarettes with food. You should be fine as long as you're sticking to your diet. I quit when I started MFP and because I was trying to eat right, I didn't really gain anything when I quit smoking. I did gain when I quit eating right though.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I baked when I quiet never ate much of what I baked I started working out more I also Tried different things like straws that were to mimic cigarettes. Then I just started working out more. I gained weight but not as much as I thought I was going to gain.

But if you are not ready to quiet no matter what you do or try it isn’t going to work you have to have the right mind set for it to work. I have tried quieting 3 times this will be the fourth time and this time around it doesn’t bother me like it did in the years past. I can watch others smoke and not want where in the past I would crave it. Good Luck to you. I hope you can find something that will help you out.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've not read all of the responses...but my advice is find some tangible motivation to quit. I smoked about a pack a day for more than 25 years...I was pretty hard core. Today is my 99th day not smoking and it's certainly not the first time I've been down this road, but I feel it will be the last because I've taken up running, and I love it. My breathing is SO much better and I don't want to lose that!!!

Good luck. The way I feel about it is, if I can do it, anyone can! :flowerforyou:
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    I've not read all of the responses...but my advice is find some tangible motivation to quit. I smoked about a pack a day for more than 25 years...I was pretty hard core. Today is my 99th day not smoking and it's certainly not the first time I've been down this road, but I feel it will be the last because I've taken up running, and I love it. My breathing is SO much better and I don't want to lose that!!!

Good luck. The way I feel about it is, if I can do it, anyone can! :flowerforyou:

Congrats on your 99 days of success. Your breathing with only continue to get better. Proud of you!
  • offthedeependay
    Options
    This Sunday will be ONE month of no smoking ,I have this ,gone through the hard part ,only gained 5 pounds and have almost lost it back,thank you for all the support on here and the private messages,couldn't have done it with out every ones support...on the road to healthy....
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Today is day 5 of not smoking! I think I'm going to make it this time! I'm also carefully logging all my calories - I do not want to gain weight and don't see any reason why I would.
  • offthedeependay
    Options
    Today is day 5 of not smoking! I think I'm going to make it this time! I'm also carefully logging all my calories - I do not want to gain weight and don't see any reason why I would.
    I am 1 month 2 days now without smoking, I watched my calories and did gain about 3-4 pounds but almost lost them already, ,it is well worth the being able to breath while working out and actually started to jog a bit yesterday,never going back,I have saved the money I would have spent on smokes and treated myself on saturday by buying myself a boat for 400 bucks,that is what I would have spent on smoking in a month,,now I can go fishing in the boat instead...
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am 1 month 2 days now without smoking, I watched my calories and did gain about 3-4 pounds but almost lost them already, ,it is well worth the being able to breath while working out and actually started to jog a bit yesterday,never going back,I have saved the money I would have spent on smokes and treated myself on saturday by buying myself a boat for 400 bucks,that is what I would have spent on smoking in a month,,now I can go fishing in the boat instead...

Well done, that's exactly the way to go:smile:
    I did the same and the first lot I spent on a new hair style, the next lot on a tread mill and last weekend I bought me a new puppy. Suddenly I can afford to buy things I always wanted.
    In 2 weeks time I will be 'sober' for 6 months after almost 37 years of smoking.
    What I don't like? Queuing in a shop at the till with a smoker standing next to me. Can't believe I was such a 'stinker' all those years:noway:
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • offthedeependay
    Options

Well done, that's exactly the way to go:smile:

I did the same and the first lot I spent on a new hair style, the next lot on a tread mill and last weekend I bought me a new puppy. Suddenly I can afford to buy things I always wanted.
    In 2 weeks time I will be 'sober' for 6 months after almost 37 years of smoking.
    What I don't like? Queuing in a shop at the till with a smoker standing next to me. Can't believe I was such a 'stinker' all those years:noway:
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
    Congratulations on being sober for 6 months ,I know how hard that is,I was an addict for years and have been clean for 28 months,,life is worth so much more,don't need to enhance it with drugs or booze,life can be as great as you want it to be,I never thought I could have fun without using something ,now I can't imagine why I needed it,I can remember every day and never have to apologize the next day to any one for what I might have done to them,,,loving life
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking over a year ago after 15 years. I used the patch, it helped me not murder anyone during the first month or so. On the flip side, I started eating more and gained the 32lbs you see me trying to lose here LOL I feel 100% better and I'm loving the extra money.

If the eating is an issue, maybe try some sugar free gum or Tic Tacs?