I ate more than my allowance in one meal

Options

Replies

• pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I so desperately want to come up with a reason why what you did is bad for you and it is going to stall your weight loss and it isn't the healthiest thing to do and it may slow your metabolism down and, and,.....and.....there just doesn't seem to be anything wrong with what you did. THAT IS THE GREAT THING ABOUT WORKING OUT!!!! If you want to eat more, MOVE MORE!!!! It is really as simple as that. Period!!!! Thanks bud for a great post. I usually do mine at White Castle. Love the sliders.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Oh man I miss Taco Johns - we don't have them in WA. I've been considering that Shamrock Shake too - yum... As long as you don't eat like that every day and do the exercise then all is good in my eyes.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    " I burned nearly 2,000 calories at the gym today"

OMG - aside from the time you spent eateng the shamrock shake and tacos did you spent the rest of your day at the gym??? Thats crazy burn? What did you do?

125 minutes on pretty serious hills on the recumbent bike. if you keep the rpm up right about 100, you burn pretty well.

Did you measure that on an HRM machine or MFP estimate?

don't use MFP. it's always high. and it doesn't have recumbent bike anyway.

the machine has a read-out, and also allows for weight/age input. there's also a scientific equation, actually, figuring in weight and time, etc., for the recumbent. I plug in the info to that and then usually take the lower of the two. and I can generally tell about what I should be at.

and I also generally err on the side of caution most days. I'm at 1700 and that means a loss of about 1.4 pounds a week, on average. but I will usually finish most nights with several hundred left to account for calorie error. tonight I'll leave probably 400 or so.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Shamrock shakes are only available for a limited time every year. I had one on Sunday. I don't feel bad for it either. I can go forever and a day without a chocolate of vanilla shake from McDonald's because in theory I could have it anytime, but it RUINS MY YEAR if I can't have a shamrock shake.
    Besides. It's healthy right, being made from clover... :wink: :laugh:

QFT!

OP, looks good but I would have switched out the taco johns fish taco for the new taco bell doritos taco. :tongue:
  • danielleburwell97060
    Options
    I agree. I had 1400 cals left at the end of a day and I had been wanting a chocolate shake from jack in the box for like a week but it was not worth the 800 cals to me but when I had done such a good job on food and exercise that day to have so many cals left I said I'm gonna do it!!! It was great! :)
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the nachos at the local taco place are totally gonna be worth it now ;) I love this idea!
    But since it's a local place there's no nutrition facts. Guess I'll overguestimate!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options

OMG - aside from the time you spent eateng the shamrock shake and tacos did you spent the rest of your day at the gym??? Thats crazy burn? What did you do?

125 minutes on pretty serious hills on the recumbent bike. if you keep the rpm up right about 100, you burn pretty well.

don't use MFP. it's always high. and it doesn't have recumbent bike anyway.

the machine has a read-out, and also allows for weight/age input. there's also a scientific equation, actually, figuring in weight and time, etc., for the recumbent. I plug in the info to that and then usually take the lower of the two. and I can generally tell about what I should be at.

and I also generally err on the side of caution most days. I'm at 1700 and that means a loss of about 1.4 pounds a week, on average. but I will usually finish most nights with several hundred left to account for calorie error. tonight I'll leave probably 400 or so.

yeah thats what i was thinking - i didn't realize how inaccurate machines and MFP are - until I got an HRM... defiantly best investment ever,
  • MariarR33
    MariarR33 Posts: 69
    Options
    While you did burn A LOT of calories at the gym, you need to eat back that with nutrition your body will be able to take advantage of. Indulging in fast food and using the excuse that you worked it all off will not get you to a healthier lifestyle. Try to keep your long term goals in mind when approaching weight loss. Your diet is going to be the biggest factor in keeping the weight off. IMO you should have had either a small shake or 1 taco. Small indulgences are OK, but when you have a goal in mind, a meal like that is sabatage. I LOVE LOVE LOVE shammrock shakes, they are a childhood memory for me. But, it doesn't help me with my fitness goals, so I am not giving in this year. It's the first year they are in my area, but it's not worth it to me. Despite what others think, life will go on, even without a shammrock shake. Healthy eating is all about makign wise choices and looking at changing the way you eat for life. Otherwise you will become another fad dieter and continue to gain and lose the rest of your life.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would be able to burn that many calories lol. At my weight and most likely at that intensity, I calculated it to be around 1302kcal burnt in 125 minutes lol. The obviously won't be that accurate, but it's a rough estimate.

Luckily they don't sell Shamrock Shakes in the UK lol.

Although you worked your *** off at the gym, you really shouldn't make eating these kinds of foods a habit. It's nice to have a treat, but even I limit myself. I wouldn't go out and get the largest item on the menu because all of the work at the gym would of been a waste of time. The main goals of losing weight are really just sensible eating.

I do feel sorry for a lot of people. I was watching Supersize vs Superskinny this week and one of the patients went to America to see how someone at a certain weight lived. They went to a restaurant and showed you the street and it was filled with fast food restaurants. Not only that, but the portion sizes were ridiculous. I'm not trying to be offensive to people in the US, but the portion sizes are pretty big compared to the portion sizes in the UK. A lot of people can't make the effort to eat healthy and lose weight, but they can make the effort to get in the car and drive down to the nearest fast food restaurant from the big variety of fast food restaurants on the high street.

I know it wasn't necessary to post the last paragraph, but I can't see myself drinking over a pint of milkshake and waste my time at the gym.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Maria, I already have changed my eating habits. For life. And fast food? That's ok. And losing weight and working out six days a week? Also, already a healthier lifestyle. If you love them? Make it fit and have one. One shake OR one taco? Seriously, not gonna happen. If I go to taco bell, I get three. And it is less than 500 calories for that.

Zichu, in no way was any time at the gym wasted. It let me have some great food. It left me with a deficit for the day of roughly 400 -- under my normal deficit, actually. It also worked on muscles. It also increased cardiovascular health. It also released stress. It also increased oxygen and blood flow, which creates new vessels and carries more free radicals from my body. It also built on my work to reduce the chances of dementia and Alzheimers.

My point is that working out does a lot for your mind and body.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    While you did burn A LOT of calories at the gym, you need to eat back that with nutrition your body will be able to take advantage of. Indulging in fast food and using the excuse that you worked it all off will not get you to a healthier lifestyle. Try to keep your long term goals in mind when approaching weight loss. Your diet is going to be the biggest factor in keeping the weight off. IMO you should have had either a small shake or 1 taco. Small indulgences are OK, but when you have a goal in mind, a meal like that is sabatage. I LOVE LOVE LOVE shammrock shakes, they are a childhood memory for me. But, it doesn't help me with my fitness goals, so I am not giving in this year. It's the first year they are in my area, but it's not worth it to me. Despite what others think, life will go on, even without a shammrock shake. Healthy eating is all about makign wise choices and looking at changing the way you eat for life. Otherwise you will become another fad dieter and continue to gain and lose the rest of your life.
    Thank God he wasn't listening to you! Food nazis! Blech!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I really want a cheeseburger... mmm... cheeeeeseburger

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

P.S. Anyone find it funny how the people who (at least by their ticker) have lost 0 lbs think the OP is going to fail and those of us who have successfully lost much more don't? I find that hilarious....
  • patriciarayliah
    Options
    me too i burned 1334 doing 100 reps of squats no weights

shoooo my food intake rose to over 2,000 cal for the day

i will never eat that much

lol
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

do you weigh 500 lbs? is this "2,000 calories" per a HRM?

i am EXTREMELY doubtful. please share.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    That seems like A LOT to burn on a stationary bike. I workout for 150 minutes- 20 minutes on the step mill, an hour of zumba, and an hour of body pump and burn 1100. I hope you're not logging more than you're actually burning.
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

P.S. Anyone find it funny how the people who (at least by their ticker) have lost 0 lbs think the OP is going to fail and those of us who have successfully lost much more don't? I find that hilarious....

OMG I thought this comment was hilarious and oh so true. I think the point here was that if you really want something or are craving something...you dont have to deny yourself all the time. Work for it.. Of course there are days that I really want something...and its over my calorie 'allowances' and sometimes you just gotta say what the HE11 and go for it. Enjoy life...enjoy food...just dont over do it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    He did say he was on the recumbant bike for 2 hours... so I can see it.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It's fine having a treat once in a while, we would all go mad if we stuck to the same foods without indulging in something unhealthy once or twice a week. I'm just saying if it were to become frequent, regardless whether or not you are working out for 2 hours a day, it just isn't healthy eating and isn't sensible. This post isn't meant to accuse you of anything, I'm just generally saying that some people could have cravings for things like these and have them more often.

Also, I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm eating healthy, working on building muscle. I managed to burn 24lb without calorie counting or anything. Just ate healthy, and regularly exercised.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

do you weigh 500 lbs? is this "2,000 calories" per a HRM?

i am EXTREMELY doubtful. please share.

500? No. But you can burn a lot on recumbent. It isn't the same as stationary. And lvl 11 (of 20) on steep cascading hills. For two hours and five minutes. I can hit about 1500 on intervals on the elliptical over about 100 minutes. Not sure why this is doubtful.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    and if you still don't buy the calories burned, for whatever reason, cut it back. say I burned only, maybe, 1200 vs. 1942.

that would still give me 2900 calories total for the day. I ate 3318. I have a deficit set already to lose 1.4 pounds per week. so that's, what, about -400, give or take? that would mean, even if I burned 742 less than I logged, I went over maintenance by a whopping 18 calories. the horror!