don't read unless you love beer... you won't understand

Options
mwest11
mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
Ok, so I figured it out. I have been eating right, running and lifting, and still maintaining weight instead of losing. The culprit... one of my favorite things in the world, BEER! I probably go socialize and drink 2 times a week (sometimes 3) and have 4-5 beers each time. After doing the math I found out that was roughly 900-1500 calories a week. Now I am aiming for slow weight loss, like .5 lb to 1 lb a week. So this is definitely putting a damper on my progress.

Anyone with the same situation, what did you do? I don't want to just quit all together because I like my social life.

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I drank beer and wine throughout my weight loss and still do as I maintain. I log the calories, so there is no SURPRISE! You drank 1,000 calories! Tonight for instance, without any additional exercise, I have 300 drinking calories to play with. If I get in more exercise, I get more calories.
  • camilleesqueda
    Options
    I love beer, but while losing weight I guess I'm going to stick to vodka and tonic. :'( It is SO high in calories. So sad.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Since I'm not willing to give up my beer... it will just have to fit in... I LOVE BEER!!! :tongue: :drinker:
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yep, I exercise more and plan for the calories. I won't give up beer or wine :drinker:

At home I drink Bud Select 55 - only 55 calories and tastes almost like beer :-/
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    This is why I took up running. And yes, I log the calories.

Happy St. Paddy's day! :drinker:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Drink craft or micro brew. I just have one or two of those.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Cut way back. Only drink fine, flavorful beer and less of it. For a lower calorie beer that is still decent, consider Guinness.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Beer bloats me out quickly, so I have been avoiding it for a while now. I try to stick with wine or whiskey.
  • Daytonsmommy
    Daytonsmommy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I am a huge "come home and pour a drink" kind of girl. I actually noticed that not only is it hindering my weight loss, but it is causing my skin to break out :frown: . So I have challenged myself to not drink any alcohol for 30 days. I have to say that I have noticed my stomach flatten out, and my skin has started to clear up big time, and I'm only on day 5. Now, being that it is Friday, this will be the true test :happy: I agree with the other comment though, when you do drink, be sure to log the calories BEFORE you go out. That way you know how many drinks you can have without going over your daily allotted amount. Good luck!:drinker:
  • Anelda
    Anelda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. My husband and I are huge beer fans and went to our first special beer release last weekend. (And this beer, man o man, some of the best imperial stout I've ever had!)

I have found that the weeks that I don't drink any beer or limit it to 1 or 2 a week, I'm able to drop the weight pretty easily. However, this past week with the beer release and going to the local craft beer bar to share our spoils, I'm not doing so hot weight loss wise. Am I having success in the body weight department? No. Am I having success in the strength gains at the gym. You betcha.
  • cparis16
    cparis16 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I changed the beer that I drink.... I have said so long to Blue Moon... :-) But I did discover that I like Sam Adams light and it is only 119 calories. Just find a beer that is a little better for you (and of course log the calories).
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am not willing to give up beer. I make sure I have enough calories. Also, I learned to like (not love, like Fat Tire....mmmmm Fat Tire) Coors Light. If you like something heavier, Guiness is suprisingly low in calories. :drinker:
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I refuse to give up alcohol....I just plan to include it in my daily calories. '

But since its Lent I gave up wine/ drinking during the week, so that helps too.

Tomorrow will be alot of beer im sure, but I'm planning ahead for it and just make sure I log what I drink as well as what I eat
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    story of my life! I cut my drinking to one day on the weekends -- last year i stopped completely - felt good

but if you go during the week just start to cut it in half or just drink water...you can still be social as i learned ;)

OR now -- i just drink jack daniels straight haha
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I love beer, but while losing weight I guess I'm going to stick to vodka and tonic. :'( It is SO high in calories. So sad.
    That is just as high in calories. I think tonic is around 100 cal for 12 oz
  • rickyleepotts
    Options
    I track my beers. If I can't find the calories in something, I don't drink/eat it. For instance, last night I had a pint of Dirty *kitten* from Founders. This is a heavy scotch ale. I looked it up before I ordered it, and there were 365 calories in a single pint. That boggles my mind, but at the same time I would normally order 3 or 4 and think I was doing alright. Just be aware of what you are drinking.

This service gives you a daily goal. Stick to it. I am trying to stay under it, and I work my booze in to that. I love beer... heck, I write a beer blog. So I can't give it up. I just have to work that in to my daily intake. It sucks, but it's the only way I know how much I am taking in.

Google is great by the way. Just search for the beer name and calories, and you will find nearly every beer you are looking for. Cheers to that!
  • RAQUELINATOVAR
    RAQUELINATOVAR Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    KEEP DRINKING BEER AND SAY YOU ARE ON A BEER DIET !!! IT WORKS FOR THE GUYS I KNOW ON IT.
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I live in Utah so no problem for me to pass on beer ;) but when I do get some, I definitely log it... and work harder that morning to earn 1 or 2 more beer;))
  • hug_g333
    hug_g333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy my beer!! and drinking any light beer just is not the same. I know drinking vodka/club soda is a lot less colories? We will see if how this plays out as I just joined a few days ago. Friday night is kinda my break away from the kids after running a daycare all day I enjoy my beer at the end of the week, if anyone has advice please let me know !! feel free to add me as well looking for support !!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I LOVE beer! I log all of my beers and will cut back on snacks to indulge my drinking habits. It's a great motivator, the more I work out, the more beer I can enjoy!

Cheers!