don't read unless you love beer... you won't understand

Options

Replies

• I had the same problem. I drank a lot during the fall and I gained a few pounds. So now currently trying to cut back and only going out about 3 times a month, and not having beer anymore just whiskey. It's been working well for me. =)
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've changed the beer I usually drink upon finding this website. The carbs alone, of my daily brew, were killing me!!

http://www.beer100.com/beercalories.htm
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    Love Beer! I plan for it in my calories and I drink either select 55 or mgd 64, I've been losing weight steadily. If I'm in a situation those are not available. I rotate water with a light beer and it works for me. Good Luck
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I love beer. During my weight loss that I just started I am only drinking White Rum & Diet Coke. Low calories and zero carbs. And yes include your drinks.
  • jbakerak
    jbakerak Posts: 76
    Options
    You can still enjoy some casual drinking while trying to lose weight. Aside from the obvious that if you drink too much it seems to make the next day's work out really tough (but you still stick to it), just try and make sure you don't go over your calories. Sometimes I will work out a little extra if I know I'm going to have a drink that night, (of course, I also know I probably won't just be having one). But I also calculate the snack I will have before bed, alcohol makes me hungry lol. If I happen to go over, I sometimes will add those calories to the next day and try to stay under (or about what I would usually consume), that way I am still averaging out for the week.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I used to drink like my life depended on it. When my weight loss journey began, I knew that had to stop. Not cold turkey, but pretty close to it. I still imbibe every so often, and when I do it's usually a glass of wine. Sometimes when I'm doing really well I'll put some Irish Creme in my coffee. As for beer, I bought a half case for Christmas, and there's still some in the fridge. I make a conscious effort to make room for those cals. For one thing, the beer itself racks up cals. Then you throw in the munchies a beer or two causes, and I'm a dead man.

So, I guess my point through all of this is, learn to stop at one, enjoy the hell out of that one, and fight back any muchie urges. Good luck!
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    I always log my beer calories early in the day so I know ahead of time where I stand with respect my net calorie count. One microbrew then a couple of Bud Selects at 55 calories each. They taste almost like beer and have just a little more alcohol than a non-alcohol beer with far fewer calories.
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do not have enough time in my day to work out even more to have enough calories for beer. I figured out that on a given drinking night I was easily hitting 1000 calories in beer alone. I haven't had a beer in over a month. Sticking to vodka and club for a few more months since I really don't like low calorie beers. This situation depresses me beyond belief.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I used to "trick" myself into feeling like I was drinking by getting to a bar a few minutes before my friends and ordering soda water with lime. It looks like a vodka soda (or similar) and you dont get all the excess calories. Plus in my group of friends, the pregnancy bug is going around so rather than everyone assuming im pregnant for not drinking, it was easier to pretend I was. But I definitely do enjoy a drink and just tend to opt for low calorie beers when i can (MGD 64, bud select) or my beloved vodka soda (about 75 calories)
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found it extremely helpful to go out all the time and do stupid stuff to embarrass my wife so that she complains frequently enough to make drinking less exciting. It's done wonders for me!
  • w2bab
    w2bab Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I drink lite beer (105 calories or so, not the super low cal stuff), try to drink a glass of water for every beer, and budget the calories. It doesn't seem to affect my weight loss that way, and I can still enjoy socializing. The other thing I notice is that now that I'm eating less, beer fills me up really fast. If I drink more than a couple I'm uncomfortably full.
  • kristinpascual
    Options
    Yeah log the calories. Eat less.....drink more :drinker:
    I tend to drink vodka and sprite zero or diet orange soda. It's fewer calories and gets the job done faster. I won't give it up to lose weight. I just try to get a little exercise in and log the calories. Veggie burgers are really low in calories and kashi cereal bars. I try to just eat filling yet low calorie foods, so I can drink lol
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    LOG 'em! (I'm guilty of not logging ... and I have the lack of weight loss to show for it!)

And make sure you're drinking good, flavorful, craft beer. You'll drink less when you enjoy it like a fine wine or whiskey.
  • mukamom
    mukamom Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yep, I exercise more and plan for the calories. I won't give up beer or wine :drinker:

At home I drink Bud Select 55 - only 55 calories and tastes almost like beer :-/

^^^^This...the "almost like beer" is a pretty accurate statement :smile:

As another perk to Select 55: my husband and his friends give it a thumbs down, so now I don't have to share!!! :drinker:
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Love beer!! but the German in me will not allow me to drink the yellow fizzy *kitten*. It must be dark and thick, or dont offer it to me.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I figured it out. I have been eating right, running and lifting, and still maintaining weight instead of losing. The culprit... one of my favorite things in the world, BEER! I probably go socialize and drink 2 times a week (sometimes 3) and have 4-5 beers each time. After doing the math I found out that was roughly 900-1500 calories a week. Now I am aiming for slow weight loss, like .5 lb to 1 lb a week. So this is definitely putting a damper on my progress.

Anyone with the same situation, what did you do? I don't want to just quit all together because I like my social life.

Lol, I had the same problem at one point. If you are not about quitting, cause that's what I did, I allowed myself 1day a week to drink. Then at least cut your calories, try Budweiser Select 55 cals or Miller lite 64cals.

I also like to have a clear alcohol with Wyler's Lite (just like Crystal lite) so your only consuming cal's from the alcohol you chose.

Good luck.
  • mstrohbusch
    mstrohbusch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I stick with light beers to stay within my calories.
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    My husband is a brewer so it is a huge social stimulant for us in our home. I'll have a beer or two but then swap over to a diet ibc (which also looks like a beer bottle - haha - this mentally helps me). You can also get tasting glasses (4-6 oz glasses) and buy a mix pack to share with others. This is another trick I use - I am able to taste 3 beers but only consume the amount of one.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Trust me, I LOVE BEER too...I brew my own and am quite the little beer snob. But, when I'm trying to lose weight I either switch to liquor or cut it out completely. I've found that the import non-alcholic beers are pretty damn amazing, cause my problem when drinking isn't the booze calories, it's the calories that come from reduced willpower (thanks to the booze) and the subsequent poor food choices. Look for the import NA beers from Europe, they actually have legal standards to meet in order to able to call it "beer" and it makes all the difference in taste.
  • tina01tn
    tina01tn Posts: 12
    Options
    I have my cheat day on Saturday just for this reason. The rest of the week I do without. :(