1250 calories?

Options
This is the amount mfp has calculated I should eat .. I am 170 lb 5'6" 36 yrs old female .. this seems like too few calories

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    If you never leave your couch it's ok.

But I shouldn't talk, that's usually where I am at even with exorcise.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    how many pounds per week did you select ?
    for me even though i have well over 100 pounds to lose, i chose 1 pound a week ,so i get 2110 calories

also make sure you put the right activty level and eat your workout calories..

im sure more people will chime in ..
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I would eat a bit more. I normally have about 1500 or so and I'm about the same height as you. I've dropped about 10 lbs and am at my goal weight. You can always reduce your calories later on if you want to.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Change your weekly goal, I'm 5'7" 173lbs (28 years old) and mine is set to 1 lb a week at a sedentary level and mine is 1430
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly low, and not sustainable. You'd be unsatiated and end up falling off the wagon. Re-adjust it, quickly!!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Set up your goals to be 1lb a week and not 2lbs per week and you should be fine. You can also adjust it manually.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    If you are relatively active, a physical job or just working out 3-7 days a week
    you need to eat higher than that. You are a 36 year old female? i don't know your exact stats
    but depending on your height and activity level, it can range from 1500-2000 calories for effective weight loss.
    Just my opinion, in the end it's trial and error to see what works for you. Although no matter what anyone says,
    1200 calories is way too low =P
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Do u want to lose weight?? They set me at 1200 and I lost 17 lbs in 11 weeks. Now maintaining and they gave me 1230.
  • beckylawrence70
    Options
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!
  • beckylawrence70
    Options
    sorry they now gave me 1530
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    That's incredibly low, and not sustainable. You'd be unsatiated and end up falling off the wagon. Re-adjust it, quickly!!

Wow that's incredibly opinionated!

As you can see - the answer is varied. You need to find some middle ground to what you want to achieve and how you think you can do it. If you think it's too low, it probably is. Some of us don't think it is. Some others consume twice (or more) that.

I say do some research and enter what you think you can actually eat in a day (or do it over a couple of days) and see if you think that's sustainable....

Don't rely on others opinions. It's too fickle, varied and often bro-science... Do what works for you.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    Options
    When I was set to 1200 calories, I thought the same thing, but I tried it out to see and found that not only does it work for me but sometimes I actually need to feed myself more calories because I am still under... But every one is different. I would say try it out, see if it works for you, and make changes where necessary. Good luck to you !
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    might be too low. try it out, see how you feel, adjust accordingly
  • mom2five69
    mom2five69 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6 very active and weigh 190 they set me at 1260 and i am doing fine. Im never hungry.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yeah, change your weight loss goal.. or exercise like heck every day so you get some extra calories to eat!
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!

Yep, well said.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Do u want to lose weight?? They set me at 1200 and I lost 17 lbs in 11 weeks. Now maintaining and they gave me 1230.

1230 to MAINTAIN? You poor thing :( Even at my goal weight, my maintenance would be 1700 calories.
  • ShortInSeattle
    Options
    This is the amount mfp has calculated I should eat .. I am 170 lb 5'6" 36 yrs old female .. this seems like too few calories

As others have said, adjusting your goal may help a bit. I'll throw in that I'm 5'1" and I lose quite handily on 1300 cals/day. It's part speed (.5 vs 1 vs 2 lbs per week) and part metabolism. Why not fiddle with your number, try it for a few weeks, and see how it goes? You can adjust as you learn more about your body.

SIS
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options

Ya, I would have no idea what I'm talking about. Did you notice my weight loss? Hello???
  • kimdwl
    kimdwl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am set to 1310 and most days struggle to clear the 1200 mark.
    I am never starving and have plenty of energy for the day, far more than I did filling my body with junk all day.

I say try it out, have fun choosing great foods, spread it out all day so your not eating it all at once.
    Get in some exercise to earn some more calories each day if you need to.

If you just cant make it work for you then adjust your weight loss goal or manually set it to give you a bit more each day.

Now I am off to research what the heck I can eat to fill the 500 cal gap I have tonight.