1250 calories?

Options

Replies

• HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I did 1200 calories and did not eat my exercise calories back, worked for a while. Lost weight. Lost a bit of muscle too, ended up a bit flabby with loose skin. Also found myself binging because of how strict I am. Finally found a balance, I eat more than 1200 calories, eat my calories back and don't stress over every last thing I eat.
  • MasterZeddicus
    MasterZeddicus Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honestly 1250 calories per day is more than obtainable, and sustainable for your body. I'm 6'4 and 230LBS and MFP calculates only 1630 calories per day for me, and I can sustain that with relatively little issue. If I can do it at nearly a foot taller than you you can to.

Given your height and weight your BMI is around 27, not to be rude but that means you are accustomed to eating far more than your body truly needs to function. Bear in mind that 1250 is a temporary number and all depends on YOU! If you are not willing to eat so little every day there are two things you can do:

Option one: Make your goals a little more realistic for your lifestyle, change your goal to 1/2lb per week, or 1lb per week. Given the amount of calories it gave you I assume you are trying to lose two lbs per week which is a lot! Remember 1lb of fat requires nearly 3500 calories to be burned. So two lbs per week means a deficit of 7000 calories, that's a lot of calories! They have to come from somewhere!

Option two: COMMIT! Accept the small amount of calories, but WORK for your food. The more cardio you do per day the more you can eat! So exercise properly and you'll be able to boost that up an extra 400-600 calories per day easily! I walk to school and home every day, doing that alone was enough to add 392 calories to my daily intake. That's nothing compared to spending 20-30 minutes on an elliptical trainer or a treadmill! Remember that 1250 per day is based on you doing absolutely nothing but sitting on the couch everyday! You have to feed MFP your work outs, and in return it will feed you!

There are a few things to bear in mind, firstly like I said 1250 is a temporary number, this is because you're trying to lose fat. Try inputting your height, and put your goal weight as your current weight, then select that you would like to maintain this fitness level. This will give you an idea of how much you can eat per day once you have accomplished your goals! It's something to look forward to :). Also keep in mind that MFP calculates based on an average! You can still do a bit of work, so say you can only do cardio 3 times a week, no sweat! Just divide the extra calories you're burning from cardio over a 7 day period instead of specifically on those days, that way you can eat a bit more everyday instead of just the days you train.

No matter what you decide, remember that this is for you! That fitness requires a lifestyle change, you have to give up the lifestyle you have now for one that's better! That will keep you in shape, and feeling good. Trust me you won't regret it! Good luck! I'm sure you can make it :).

Z
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So wrong on so many levels, you do realize everyone has different hormonal levels and everyone is indeed different. I'm at a loss for words. Please explain how so many people on 1200 calories are sustaining then? Tons of people are doing great at 1200. Just wow.
    With beach body programs, you CAN NOT do 1400 calories. You burn a ton of calories and need enough fuel for you body to release the weight. I am speaking from experience. Most BB programs suggest 1800 calories as a minimum for woman and 2400 calories for men. Eating too little will only do two things; maintain fat and burn muscle.

Also, every is NOT different. It's all calories in/calories out. Too many calories out and not enough in and your body will cannibalize your lean muscle mass for the amino acids to produce energy. The science is there and has been there. There is a reason if you go on the BB website, they would suggest around 1800 calories to burn fat and maintain lean muscle mass. This will also preserve your metabolism unlike this 1200 calorie crap. And really unless you are 4'10, it's high unlikely that your BMR is even close to 1200 calories.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

THANK YOU.... Ugh...
    [/quote]
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    im at 1200 im 5"4 and 230+ lbs ,i think its enough at least for me that im sedentary, once i start training (weight training) il change it ..:)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    So wrong on so many levels, you do realize everyone has different hormonal levels and everyone is indeed different. I'm at a loss for words. Please explain how so many people on 1200 calories are sustaining then? Tons of people are doing great at 1200. Just wow.
    With beach body programs, you CAN NOT do 1400 calories. You burn a ton of calories and need enough fuel for you body to release the weight. I am speaking from experience. Most BB programs suggest 1800 calories as a minimum for woman and 2400 calories for men. Eating too little will only do two things; maintain fat and burn muscle.

Also, every is NOT different. It's all calories in/calories out. Too many calories out and not enough in and your body will cannibalize your lean muscle mass for the amino acids to produce energy. The science is there and has been there. There is a reason if you go on the BB website, they would suggest around 1800 calories to burn fat and maintain lean muscle mass. This will also preserve your metabolism unlike this 1200 calorie crap. And really unless you are 4'10, it's high unlikely that your BMR is even close to 1200 calories.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

THANK YOU.... Ugh...
    [/quote]

Did you read this - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

THANK YOU.... Ugh...
    [/quote]

Seriously, you obviously didn't read otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant and uneducated comment. Do you know why so many people can live on 1200 calories and do "fine"? It's because just like everything else in your body, your metabolism and appetite are adaptive tools. If your suppress them long enough, your body will slow down, your appetite will disappear and your body fights harder to maintain body fat. Do you know where it gets the energy? If you didn't guess it, it's lean muscle mass where it takes the amino acids out of the muscle to convert to energy.

Maybe if you are going to try and call someone out, maybe you should take the time to research and post some actual studies.
  • watboy
    Options
    Oh dear so very very wrong.

THANK YOU.... Ugh...

Seriously, you obviously didn't read otherwise you wouldn't have made such an ignorant and uneducated comment. Do you know why so many people can live on 1200 calories and do "fine"? It's because just like everything else in your body, your metabolism and appetite are adaptive tools. If your suppress them long enough, your body will slow down, your appetite will disappear and your body fights harder to maintain body fat. Do you know where it gets the energy? If you didn't guess it, it's lean muscle mass where it takes the amino acids out of the muscle to convert to energy.

Maybe if you are going to try and call someone out, maybe you should take the time to research and post some actual studies.
    [/quote]
  • watboy
    Options
    Agreed , putting tons of people down is so unhelpful.Yes!

OK, I'm officially sick of being slammed on this subject. I was by FAR not the only person to give the opinion that it was low, but yet mine is the only one people keep choosing to take a jab at? Really? Give me a break...

Sorry, but I believe you were being 'slammed' more than others because you made it sound like your opinion was fact. That's all.

Agreed. Your comment was also a put down to anyone who has lost weight a different way to you. I also notice we have a mutual friend who limits herself to 1200 calories and does not eat her exercise calories back... I've seen you giving encouraging comments to her there, yet come out with your fact opinion here. Makes you a bit unreliable in my opinion. But you know, just MHO.... As you say!
  • TexasGirl_Amie
    Options

THANK YOU.... Ugh...

[/quote]

Again with the generalized statements. Do some research and post that as your argument instead of saying its just wrong. Psulemon is correct here.Research, research, research!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Heres the deal.

You have TDEE, BMR and BF%.

The higher your BF% the more fat you can lose in a day.
    However, your body decides how much you will lose not you.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=160054937436250

That said, someone eating below or at BMR will lose some fat till the body says "wait! thats my fuel so lets save it and try to slow this mofo down." Thats when hormones switch and start catabolizing lean mass.
    The body WILL try to slow you down IF you dont fuel it correctly.

Know your TDEE.
    Take 20% from TDEE to lose fat.
    Eat at or below BMR to lose muscle.

Its that simple!

BTW....
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Thanx for making me break out the Dead Horse Gif.

This topic has been discussed billions of times over the past year or so.

Search the topic before posting the 1200 idiocy!

Another thing i'd like to point out about eating back calories...

Suppose you are an advocate for setting MFP for 1200 cals, this is below your BMR, and eating back cals lost to working out.

What if you miss a workout?
    Is it okay to eat below BMR?
    It promotes cortisol, lowers leptin, catabolizes muscle and lean mass including the heart and diaphragm.....

How about setting up a sustainable diet that YOU create the deficit through working out.

That way if you miss a workout you arent in the danger zone.

I'm surprised at how many people think its okay to eat less than an 8 year old child!!!

to find out that you SHOULD be eating, check out this link.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

Do the military Body Fat Calc first THEN the BMR tool.

The BMR tool gives the EXACT cals to eat daily depending on your activity factor.

Add 20% to that number for your TDEE.

Eating below TDEE helps you lose weight!

Eating at or below BMR helps you lose lean mass but some will maintain the BF%.

Hello SKINNY Fatness!!!!!

Or think on it this way...

I'll give you a 20 year old car with 1/8th tank of gas and a drop of oil.
    Now drive it 200 miles!

This is what you are doing to your body!
    You are better off over eating than under eating at this point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

THANK YOU.... Ugh...

Again with the generalized statements. Do some research and post that as your argument instead of saying its just wrong. Psulemon is correct here.Research, research, research!

It's cool, until he can actually show any kind of data or research, then we all know he is useless to this thread. I hope the OP gets the correct information from this thread to continue her weight loss journey.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Well said Lemon!
  • watboy
    Options
    Everyone who is on 1200 calories and lost weight and found it sustainable congratulations. Great job , keep it up. I applaud your success, I don't think you need a study to prove how awesome you've done.
    Well said Lemon!
  • watboy
    Options
    Way to go! Congrats!
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!

It most certainly is. Look at my food diary.. I eat roughly 1200 calories, but I'm actually eating a hell of a lot more than I was when I was shoving junk down my throat.

I went from approx. 230 to 135 by following a 1200 calorie diet along with exercising most days. I was in no way starving... I was just filling myself with healthy food.

If you are eating healthy food then 1200 calories is just fine. Just don't fill your allowed calories with junk, otherwise you will be starving. :)
  • watboy
    Options
    Thank you. Giving out advice as it were fact is unreliable.

OK, I'm officially sick of being slammed on this subject. I was by FAR not the only person to give the opinion that it was low, but yet mine is the only one people keep choosing to take a jab at? Really? Give me a break...

Sorry, but I believe you were being 'slammed' more than others because you made it sound like your opinion was fact. That's all.

Agreed. Your comment was also a put down to anyone who has lost weight a different way to you. I also notice we have a mutual friend who limits herself to 1200 calories and does not eat her exercise calories back... I've seen you giving encouraging comments to her there, yet come out with your fact opinion here. Makes you a bit unreliable in my opinion. But you know, just MHO.... As you say!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Everyone who is on 1200 calories and lost weight and found it sustainable congratulations. Great job , keep it up. I applaud your success, I don't think you need a study to prove how awesome you've done.
    Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

You successfully ate less than most 8 year old kids, maintained if not added more body fat% while losing precious lean mass.

Watboy probably isnt the person to follow in this forum but what do I know?
    I've only helped 100s lose fat while maintaining lean mass.

If you feel that you are not eating enough, please research proper dieting.
    I have a link on my profile page if you need guidance.
    The link is what woke me up from the 1200 cal fog and opened me up to a new way of life.
    The sustainable diet that maintains lean mass and burns fat.

Lol
  • RonneyMichelle
    RonneyMichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is great that you're not hungry and looking to fill those last calories, but I wonder how long that will last?
    I do hope forever, that would be nice. I am finding that it's not working like that for me now after being low cal for a few months. I started on January 5th doing cardio exercises daily for 2 weeks and then after that I started my low calorie/calorie counting. Since that time I've lost 25 pounds. I have 68 more to go to be where I want to be as I'm very short. The first week or so was miserable.. then it got better and I was looking for ways to work those cals in. The last week or so though I'm back to being hungry often and so hoping it's just a phase. I was doing 1200 cals a day, but now I've set it to 1 pound a week and at 1350 cals but in the back of my mind I just can't seem to be ok with going over 1200 except 1-2 times a week.
    I find that having a cheat meal once a week out and popcorn on movie night at home with hubby once a week helps me boost my calories and then the next week I'm down another 1-2 pounds. But I am often hungry the rest of the week.
    I am set to 1310 and most days struggle to clear the 1200 mark.
    I am never starving and have plenty of energy for the day, far more than I did filling my body with junk all day.

I say try it out, have fun choosing great foods, spread it out all day so your not eating it all at once.
    Get in some exercise to earn some more calories each day if you need to.

If you just cant make it work for you then adjust your weight loss goal or manually set it to give you a bit more each day.

Now I am off to research what the heck I can eat to fill the 500 cal gap I have tonight.
  • mtcHavingItAll
    mtcHavingItAll Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    fat2fitradio.com says to never eat below your BMR and to eat 20% above it. So your number should be more around 1500 calorie mark, or something.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Take a course in mammalian physiology and it will tell you the same thing psulemon is saying. There is actual science behind this - not just "bro-science."

THANK YOU.... Ugh...

[/quote]