1250 calories?

Options

Replies

• MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is on 1200 calories and lost weight and found it sustainable congratulations. Great job , keep it up. I applaud your success, I don't think you need a study to prove how awesome you've done.
    Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

You successfully ate less than most 8 year old kids, maintained if not added more body fat% while losing precious lean mass.

Watboy probably isnt the person to follow in this forum but what do I know?
    I've only helped 100s lose fat while maintaining lean mass.

If you feel that you are not eating enough, please research proper dieting.
    I have a link on my profile page if you need guidance.
    The link is what woke me up from the 1200 cal fog and opened me up to a new way of life.
    The sustainable diet that maintains lean mass and burns fat.
    Everyone who is on 1200 calories and lost weight and found it sustainable congratulations. Great job , keep it up. I applaud your success, I don't think you need a study to prove how awesome you've done.

Lol

i totally agree with helloitsdan.... 1200 might make you lose weight, but think of what you're sacrificing... your muscle mass. i dont' want to be "skinny fat" so i workout and eat more.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I don't need anyone "following me" There is nothing to follow I'm congratulating people for doing well and finding something that works for them.
    "You successfully ate less than most 8 year old kids" you do realize 1 in 3 children in the US are obese right? anywho if you are doing well on 1800 calories congrats to those people as well. But putting people down because they eat 1200 calories is really not helpful whatsoever. And just because more calories worked for you doesn't mean it will work for them. So good for you Dan that you found something that works for you. Keep up the good work. For those still searching I wish you luck.
    Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

You successfully ate less than most 8 year old kids, maintained if not added more body fat% while losing precious lean mass.

The link is what woke me up from the 1200 cal fog and opened me up to a new way of life.

Lol
  • MJ7910
    Options
    hey i don't think dan is trying to say that you're not losing weight on 1200 calories. it's just that you sacrifice muscle as well as fat. actually, normal "non obese" kids eat about 1200 calories at age 8. my daughter is 2 and eats about 1000 calories a day. she is not obese either. Take a look here

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently addressed this issue when it revised the Food Pyramid. The new dietary guidelines are based on caloric needs for each age group. For ages 2 to 3, the USDA recommends a child consume 1,000 to 1,400 calories, depending on his activity level. For age 4, the calorie intake increases to between 1,200 and 2,000. Here are examples of how much your child should be getting in all five food groups."

linked here: http://www.babycenter.com/0_nutrition-guidelines-for-young-children_64359.bc

I don't need anyone "following me" There is nothing to follow I'm congratulating people for doing well and finding something that works for them.
    "You successfully ate less than most 8 year old kids" you do realize 1 in 3 children in the US are obese right? anywho if you are doing well on 1800 calories congrats to those people as well. But putting people down because they eat 1200 calories is really not helpful whatsoever. And just because more calories worked for you doesn't mean it will work for them. So good for you Dan that you found something that works for you. Keep up the good work. For those still searching I wish you luck.
    Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

Lol
  • gleechick609
    Options
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!

I don't think that's the reason. It basically comes down to the overconsumption of calories and macros with no activity to balance it out (calorie surplus instead of a deficit). I eat 1800-2500+ calories per day and lose every single week. There are others on this site who eat well above 2000+ calories and lose as well.

Having been on the 1200 calorie kick for a month or two when I first joined MFP, this practice made me gain weight and left me irritable. I also found out that every time someone eats at 1200 calories, an innocent kitten dies! So I upped my calories right away after a "meet-cute" with Helloitsdan on the forums. Please, don't kill the kittens! Raise your calories, eat above BMR and save the kittens!! :)

cute-kittens-in-cups-pics.jpg

Aren't they cute?? :smile:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Currently my calories are set at 1,200 and there are plenty of days where I don't come close to that and I'm still satiated and satisfied because I'm eating healthy foods.

But that's what's working for ME. Everyone is different and if you feel that you're eating too little and it's not working adjust your goals and eat a little bit more. No one can say what's right for another person calorie-wise. I hear lots of people say that you NEED to eat 1,800 calories a day or you NEED to eat 6 small meals etc. Well that might be fine for one person but not for everyone.

Play with it. Adjust as necessary and good luck with your goals. :)
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people say 1200 is not sustainable, yes it is, we eat wayyyyy too much food, that's why we're fat!

I don't think that's the reason. It basically comes down to the overconsumption of calories and macros with no activity to balance it out (calorie surplus instead of a deficit). I eat 1800-2500+ calories per day and lose every single week. There are others on this site who eat well above 2000+ calories and lose as well.

Having been on the 1200 calorie kick for a month or two when I first joined MFP, this practice made me gain weight and left me irritable. I also found out that every time someone eats at 1200 calories, an innocent kitten dies! So I upped my calories right away after a "meet-cute" with Helloitsdan on the forums. Please, don't kill the kittens! Raise your calories, eat above BMR and save the kittens!! :)

cute-kittens-in-cups-pics.jpg

Aren't they cute?? :smile:

This... Minus Dan is cute ;) I'm eating 2500-3000 cals a day still lost 3.5% body fat in 2 months
  • mstefport
    Options
    1200 calories is fine. There are days when I realize I haven't eaten enough but when I am hungry I use the exercise calories as food! It works for me! I am 5'5" and started at 223 pounds and I am now down to 199.8 since January 2012!
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    Watboy

You need a cookie...:ohwell:
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Noooo.... a "meet-cute" is how two people meet in a film or story. Silly Eric ;)
  • watboy
    Options
    I'm not on a 1200 calorie diet i'm on a a 1600 calorie diet I'm just defending people who were being bashed for being on a 1200 calorie. It's discouraging to them. They are saying it's working for them and they are sustaining it and rather than offering kind words they get snarky rude comments. This site is becoming one big high school where people bully other's for doing something different. If 1200 calories is so detramental then MFP should get rid of this setting all together. However I know plenty of folks and have seen their success stories and are on a 1200 calorie a day lifestyle change. If that works for them good on them.

hey i don't think dan is trying to say that you're not losing weight on 1200 calories. it's just that you sacrifice muscle as well as fat. actually, normal "non obese" kids eat about 1200 calories at age 8. my daughter is 2 and eats about 1000 calories a day. she is not obese either. Take a look here

"The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently addressed this issue when it revised the Food Pyramid. The new dietary guidelines are based on caloric needs for each age group. For ages 2 to 3, the USDA recommends a child consume 1,000 to 1,400 calories, depending on his activity level. For age 4, the calorie intake increases to between 1,200 and 2,000. Here are examples of how much your child should be getting in all five food groups."

linked here: http://www.babycenter.com/0_nutrition-guidelines-for-young-children_64359.bc

Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

Lol
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a 1200 calorie diet i'm on a a 1600 calorie diet I'm just defending people who were being bashed for being on a 1200 calorie. It's discouraging to them. They are saying it's working for them and they are sustaining it and rather than offering kind words they get snarky rude comments. This site is becoming one big high school where people bully other's for doing something different. If 1200 calories is so detramental then MFP should get rid of this setting all together. However I know plenty of folks and have seen their success stories and are on a 1200 calorie a day lifestyle change. If that works for them good on them.

Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

Lol

Would be kind of enough to tell me your definition of success on 1200 calories? Are talking sheer weight loss or muscle loss, gain, fat loss, gain etc..
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i agree they have been some snarky remarks:tongue:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I think it is too low but you should be okay if you eat ALL of your exercise calories you earn. If you don't think it is enough, up your calories by 100-200 a day.
  • jessicahedriick
    Options
    It says 1250 calories, but when you work out it adds more, so you can eat more if you work out and burn more off
  • stephqj
    stephqj Posts: 20
    Options
    My MFP goal is 1200 cals now (5'11, 185, 39YO), but it's still set to lose 2 pounds per week. I eat half to all of my workout calories. Some days I'm hungrier, and I eat. I make smart choices (more lean protein and fiber) most of the time but not always. I shoot for 25-30 grams of fiber every day, plus my weight in KG for grams of protein.

If you're still hungry at the end of the day, even if you're going over calories, don't stress it. Your body needs something. A spoonful of peanut butter and a cup of low fat milk are great for late evening--even if it's an extra 300 cals.

I'm at my goal and am about to start bumping up for maintenance. Even if I don't avidly track what I'm doing, I rarely eat over 1500 calories a day.
  • HealthyLivingKathy
    HealthyLivingKathy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot older (62) and have more to lose. My doctor & nutritionist set my calories/day at 1200. Which is what MFP set my goal at. Been doing this 3 weeks (on site just 1 day) and I'm doing fine. I'm also doing 3 meals and 2 snacks. My body is different than your's and everyone else's. I need to do what is right for me to be healthy, control my type 2 diabetes and get fit. IMO.
  • clschaan
    clschaan Posts: 16
    Options
    omg i didn't think this would stir up such a debate .. i agree what works for one person may not work for another .. I decided to up my calories this week to 1800 seeing as I am working out alot .. what do you know .. stepped on the scale and down two pounds. Not sure if this is because of the increased calories or what but i'm happy :)
  • MJ7910
    Options
    ok i see what you mean. i'm not being snarky though ( i don't think and not on purpose if someone perceives it that way). i am just trying to explain what can happen when you eat that little, as it seems like others are trying to do also. i'm sure they (people eating 1200) are having success. i was too for a while. then i realized what was happening. after a while when i did that, i was hungry all the time, was burning muscle, needed to eat more. i realized my lean body mass was low because of doing this. so i was just trying to explain what can happen. not trying to be mean at all. hoping others can learn from this. very low calories can seem like the right answer but in the long term can actually do harm to your body composition. just a fact, not really anything to debate about it. and it's not really somethign someone can be "mean" or "snarky" about when it's true.

Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

Lol
  • watboy
    Options
    Good luck. Keep up the good work
    I'm a lot older (62) and have more to lose. My doctor & nutritionist set my calories/day at 1200. Which is what MFP set my goal at. Been doing this 3 weeks (on site just 1 day) and I'm doing fine. I'm also doing 3 meals and 2 snacks. My body is different than your's and everyone else's. I need to do what is right for me to be healthy, control my type 2 diabetes and get fit. IMO.
  • watboy
    Options
    Oh I didn't think you were being snarky at all. I was just explaining my position. You have had your experience with lower calories and it did not work for you. Keep doing you and keep up the good work.
    ok i see what you mean. i'm not being snarky though ( i don't think and not on purpose if someone perceives it that way). i am just trying to explain what can happen when you eat that little, as it seems like others are trying to do also. i'm sure they (people eating 1200) are having success. i was too for a while. then i realized what was happening. after a while when i did that, i was hungry all the time, was burning muscle, needed to eat more. i realized my lean body mass was low because of doing this. so i was just trying to explain what can happen. not trying to be mean at all. hoping others can learn from this. very low calories can seem like the right answer but in the long term can actually do harm to your body composition. just a fact, not really anything to debate about it. and it's not really somethign someone can be "mean" or "snarky" about when it's true.

Well said Lemon!

Hormonal issues
    Lean mass loss
    Skinny fat

Great job all!

Lol