Unsupportive friends :(

Options
My friends are all blessed to be skinny and have the ability to not exercise and eat whatever they want and keep their bodies, but sadly I don't. Lately they have been mocking me for being on a diet and making fun of me for spending time at the gym instead of going out and it's really taking its toll on me mentally...I feel like they need a 'fat friend' around to make them feel good about themselves, but it's really hard for me to keep my morale up when they are constantly trying to tear me down :( Whenever we go out they make fun of me for eating healthy and try to get me to eat unhealthy things and it just really hurts and I'm sick of it...I need people to be there for me and they don't understand me! Okay, rant over, thanks for the listen, I would appreciate any advide :) xoxo thanks and good luck on your journey

Replies

• hassan26
    hassan26 Posts: 37
    Options
    You do have friends that motivated you..... we are all here online. And plus they are probably jealous that you such great self disciplin and they don't.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,110 Member
    Options
    Stop talking about your "diet" and the gym. Talk about other more important things.

They are most likely just giving you a little good-natured teasing. Don't assume malevolence. It's almost never reality. Most people mean well and you have to look at it that way.
  • MAZMcCormick
    MAZMcCormick Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your friends are so unsupportive. Maybe it's time you sat them down and told them it's not okay how they are acting and you you would like their support. If they actually heard how they made you feel they hopefully would stop.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its tough. However, in the long run, you may be better off. You're making yourself healthier, they aren't, and aren't doing anything positive for themselves. Give it a few years...I bet they will have burned out both their luck and their metabolism. Who'll be smiling then? Time wounds all heels,as they say.
  • Rockontoothpicks
    Options
    I have the same thing at work. We travel out of town and our company pays for our meals so they get fries, burgers, desserts and other things that I can no longer eat. I was teased at first but after a while when the noticed the change in me (I lost 27 pounds so far) they eased off.
    Your friends may just be teasing and mean no harm or do not see how it is effecting you. Just be strong and hold on...You are doing this for yourself and with or without their support you will achieve your goal...
  • AndiJoy812
    AndiJoy812 Posts: 236
    Options
    Wow. To me, a true friend is someone who supports you no matter what is going on in your life. They tell you when you're being a jerk, when you need a pep talk, are there when you need a shoulder to cry on, AND they support you when you are making positive changes in your life and help celebrate it...not sabotage you. Sounds like they are a fairly immature group...it may be that you've outgrown them. Sounds like you've come to a crossroads....sometimes getting healthy means getting rid of toxic relationships. You deserve better.
  • cory2615
    cory2615 Posts: 11
    Options
    time to get better friends. call them on their crap and tell them that if they were really good friends they would support you and not rip you down. My family is the same way, cant pick family but you can pick friends.
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    1. are they really eating whatever they want? and staying 'skinny'?

2. do they really never get any exercise?

are you sure, because kids today will literally starve themselves in secret to go out and act like they are so 'above' that healthy self-controlled behavior that to some kids is so uncool...
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    First, uh...you're not fat. Just saying.

Second, tell them to shut up.

Sorry. Maybe that's b****y of me, but seriously, they should not be teasing you. And if it's all in fun...then tell them that only they are having fun and you are NOT!

That's just not okay.

Actually, one of my overweight friends makes fun of me now...saying I'm too small or whatever.

I assume my friend is just jealous and laugh it off...
  • mybeach27
    mybeach27 Posts: 243
    Options
    1. are they really eating whatever they want? and staying 'skinny'?

2. do they really never get any exercise?

are you sure, because kids today will literally starve themselves in secret to go out and act like they are so 'above' that healthy self-controlled behavior that to some kids is so uncool...
    Trust me, I kid you not, they eat EVERYTHING! They are all skinny too (like size 00-4) and they will go to the gym maybe 3 times a month and do the elliptical for about 15 mins on no resistance...not judging, trust me, just observing :) I know in the long run I will be healthier and look healthier too, it just seems unfair and it really hurts that they cant understand where I'm coming from :(
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Tell them honestly how you feel but not right after they make fun of you, tell them before, preferably NOT during a meal. Tell them you've been struggling and they are not helping. Ask what they are trying to accomplish by putting you down:
    "Do you want me to stay overweight?"
    "Do you want me to fail at achieving a healthier lifestyle?"
    "You make me feel like __________, why do you keep doing that knowing it hurts me?"

If the answers are worst than expected. They're not your real friends.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your friends are being inconsiderate. In time they too will understand what it is like to struggle with something in life. I agree that they could be jealous of your dedication and trying to test your resolve. You continue what you are doing for yourself. You are doing the right thing by caring for your body. I would let them know that their actions and words are hurtful. You are not trying to convert them to your eating habits, why do they feel the need to try and convert you to theirs? You are young, and it is admirable that you are taking steps now to ensure your health.

We are here for you.
  • cattraxs
    cattraxs Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you need a new circle of friends. . . Truly you need to focus on YOU and what you are doing for yourself. If they are your friends, they will see that you are serious about your quest and become more supportive. In the meanwhile, you have lots of support and friends right here. Stay focused and think about yourself being the skinny friend :wink:
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Either they are just teasing because they love you and its just for funsies like a sister you bicker with and make fun of each other orrr they are not your friends at all and by the sounds of it they want a "fat" friend. Btw you are not fat that's why I used ""

Have you tried making fun of them for whatever?? Some friendships are that way but if you don't want to be in a friendship like that say eff them and move on. No need for unwanted negativity.
  • repubgurl
    repubgurl Posts: 105
    Options
    Let's face it, women can be *****y with each other. Your friends only say those things to undermine you because they are suddenly seeing you as bigger competition. Take it as a compliment, because they are threatened and looking for a way to cut you down. They may not even being doing it on purpose, because they are your friends after all, but sadly it still happens.
  • repubgurl
    repubgurl Posts: 105
    Options
    Wow... I didn't realize I would be censored.... let's substitute those stars for catty. lol
  • Alarep71
    Alarep71 Posts: 8
    Options
    Your friends suck, find new friends. Easier said than done, I know. But to be successful, you do need supportive people that empower you, not ones that try hold you back. Also, I would really suggest you find a way not to compare yourself to them (or anyone). You are getting healthy for YOU... be strong, be fit, and be confident. Confidence turns heads and radiates strength and beauty. And you are so not fat. I am sure you hear that all the time, but you need to believe it! Instead of thinking you are 'fat', start looking at yourself in the mirror and cheering yourself on for every healthy choice you make. Self-talk is the key to remaking yourself. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!
  • NicholeRobb
    NicholeRobb Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should sit them down & talk to them about how they are making you feel. No one should ever make you feel lousy about trying to better yourself & your health. If they are true friends they will listen & take what you have said to heart & be more supportive of you. If not then maybe it's time for a new group of friends. We are all here to give support because we understand the affects of being overweight. Whether it's mentally, emotionally, or physically. Unless they've been there they will never truly understand. But it doesn't mean they can't cheer you on as well.
  • 1kerriberri
    Options
    print out what you wrote and show it to them. they might realise how you actually feel.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    Those are not friends.....