Protein shake Powder! Any suggestions?

Options
niqua215
niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
Any suggestions on a good tasting protein shake with less sugar? Looking for something for before or after my workouts.

Replies

• deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    Whey Delicious...you have to order it, and it's not cheap...but SOO worth it, in my opinion. www.proteinishealthy.com
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    Whey Delicious...you have to order it, and it's not cheap...but SOO worth it, in my opinion. www.proteinishealthy.com

p.s., I make it with unsweeteened almond milk (1 cup), 1 scoop Whey Delicious, 2 TBSP PB2 (the powdered low-fat peanut butter) and about half a cup of ice, mixed in the blender.
  • Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've tried the small packets of whey powders and really liked it. I noticed a difference in my energy levels. I think whey is the way to go if your lacking protein. :) I use mine with soya milk for the extra calcium and tastes soo good.
  • fgs2
    fgs2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Muscle Gauge Whey Protein Powder. Tastes great, not too expensive.
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Max Muscle has great powders that are very low sugar, low carb and only 130 calories. I especially like adding the amino acids to my protein to help keep soreness away.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I pick up Body Fortress at Walmart. $15 for 2lbs. :)
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, also do you really notice that much of a difference in energy levels and muscle definition when you use the protein powder?
  • kristyetta
    kristyetta Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ProFlex20 by Melaleuca!! I have only had the vanilla, but it is sooooo yummy! I definitely use it 20-30 mins after my workout, but also use a little when I have oatmeal, or add some of the orange fiber drink from Melaleuca and make a meal replacement!!! It's like a dreamcicle! LOL Love it!
    This is from the Melaleuca Product Website about the Proflex20 (http://www.melaleuca.com/ProductStore/Product.aspx?sku=1675)

ProFlex20 Shakes deliver 20 grams of protein per serving with a new proprietary blend of dairy proteins: whey and calcium caseinate. These complete, fast-absorbing proteins provide the essential amino acids your body needs to build and maintain muscle, recover quickly, and absorb important nutrients.

Why You Need More Protein
    Protein is the basic building block of all muscle. Beginning around age 35, you can lose about 1% of your muscle mass each year. As you age, protein becomes important for more reasons than building biceps; it becomes important for your overall health. Without protein, you can’t keep or build muscle. ProFlex20 Shakes give your muscles what they need.

How Protein Works
    Exercise creates microscopic tears in your muscle fibers. Your body uses amino acids found in protein to repair and strengthen those muscles by properly replenishing them during and after workouts, so your recovery time decreases and you feel less fatigue. Fast-absorbing dairy proteins give your body the post-workout nutrition it needs while fiber aids in digestive comfort.

For Optimal Health Take the Vitality Pack® with ProFlex
    To get the most out of ProFlex, we recommend using the Vitality Pack powered by Oligo™. Exercise creates free radicals, which are unstable molecules that attach to and damage your cells, slowing recovery. The Vitality Pack powered by Oligo can help neutralize free radicals with antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E*."
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for lower priced protein, I suggest go with the protein you'll find at your grocery store if it's the isolate (a lot less sugar than the regular) form.

The one I recommend (found at Wal Mart): Body Fortress Isolate (around 20$ for 2lbs) - the Chocolate tastes the best but that's my preference.

However, if you're not on a tight budget I suggest go with this brand: Gold Standard - Optimum 100% Whey Protein (28-30$ online for 2lbs). All the flavors for this tastes the best in my opinion and I have made some serious lean gains from this one.

Both however are what you are looking for and there are TONS of shakes just like them, just make sure you look at the ingredients/reviews before you buy them.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  • plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Tera's Whey, any of the chocolate flavors. Between 2-4 carbs per serving & from rBGH-free cows (and some goats apparently?) I also have the wolfberry (a.k.a. goji) flavor, which is only really good with orange juice.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for lower priced protein, I suggest go with the protein you'll find at your grocery store if it's the isolate (a lot less sugar than the regular) form.

The one I recommend (found at Wal Mart): Body Fortress Isolate (around 20$ for 2lbs) - the Chocolate tastes the best but that's my preference.

However, if you're not on a tight budget I suggest go with this brand: Gold Standard - Optimum 100% Whey Protein (28-30$ online for 2lbs). All the flavors for this tastes the best in my opinion and I have made some serious lean gains from this one.

Both however are what you are looking for and there are TONS of shakes just like them, just make sure you look at the ingredients/reviews before you buy them.

Hope this helps, good luck!

This is great advice.

I'd also add the Dymatize ISO 100 hydrolyzed whey into the mix. The Gourmet vanilla flavor is delicious.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Do your research. Not all powders are created equal. Low grage cheap powders are not worth the money. Clean facility is a must. Google Consumer reports guide on protein powders from June / July 2010 and read it...throughly. Lots of arsenics and metal. For me an my house we only use Optimum Nutrition, Pure Protein and Gaspari.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Allmax Isofelx... 110 calories per scoop (27g of protein) and no sugar. Relatively cheap, easy to find and has BCAA's to help with recovery.
  • fordgal41
    fordgal41 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Muscle Gauge Whey Protein Powder. Tastes great, not too expensive.

I agree - cake batter is AWESOME!!! Not "protein-tasting" at all.
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    vitacost protein 36.99 for 5 pounds. Sweetened with stevia. Usually Gold standard whey from Optimum Nutrition but it is getting costly
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    I like the Atkins shakes. I drink them in the mornings when I don't have time for breakfast and after my workouts.
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Got some researching to do!
  • Pami225
    Pami225 Posts: 8
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar- any flavor- they don't have a bad one in the bunch!
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do your research. Not all powders are created equal. Low grage cheap powders are not worth the money. Clean facility is a must. Google Consumer reports guide on protein powders from June / July 2010 and read it...throughly. Lots of arsenics and metal. For me an my house we only use Optimum Nutrition, Pure Protein and Gaspari.

This...a thousand times this. If you want to buy cheap stuff....go ahead. Optimum Nutrition is maybe the best protein powder available.
  • Royalblues
    Royalblues Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard whey. Comes in several flavors. One scoop is 24 gms. of protein and only 1gm of sugar. Protein is whey isolate. Mixes well with milk or water. I prefer the french vanilla creme.