Protein shake Powder! Any suggestions?

Options

Replies

• Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Optimum Gold Standard is the best - Rocky Road is my favorite flavor.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use the Walmart brand. It's 1 g of sugar for 1 scoop and about 140 calories. It's like 14.97 for a good size container and I've tried chocolate and strawberry! They are not too bad!
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    However, if you're not on a tight budget I suggest go with this brand: Gold Standard - Optimum 100% Whey Protein (28-30$ online for 2lbs). All the flavors for this tastes the best in my opinion and I have made some serious lean gains from this one.

DEFINITELY agree!!! The Vanilla Ice Cream flavor is fantastic!
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This is what I use, and it tastes pretty good:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar, Premiere Protein and Optimum Nutrition
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am using Whey protein from Hammer Nutrition (www.hammernutrition.com) or goat protein from Mt. Capra (found it as low as $26 online) or Double Bonded protein - comes with chocolate in it.

Make sure you read the labels - there is a lot of 'stuff' in these 'blends'.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Egg White Protein. I've use vanilla and love it! :smile:
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I pick up Body Fortress at Walmart. $15 for 2lbs. :)

Love the strawberry flavor. I mix 1 or 2 scoops with some frozen fruit & a little water to make a really awesome shake. YUMMY!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I have tried just about every one out there... I ordered tons of samples, I listend to others opinions (and hated most of them) and I read labels like a freak. I prefer chocolate since I mix most of my protein shakes with almond milk and cold decaf coffee... so its more like a frappuccino. Some have horrid aftertaste, some are just clumpy and never mix good (even with a blender bottle). I look for low carb, low fat, low sugar, low calories and whey protein isolate. (not concentrate, not a blend and NOT premixed!)

My favorites, taste and stat wise:
    About Time (amazon.com or some GNC franchise locations - this is also gluten free and lactose free - have this on auto=ship)
    Syntax Nectar Chocolate Truffle
    Jay Robb Chocolate, Pina Colada, Dreamsicle
    TrueProtein.com (double chocolate fudge - this is a create your own blend, choose sweetener etc...)
    Tera's Whey - Dark Chocolate or Bourbon rum vanilla
    ISO Flex
    Integrated Solutions Chocolate Ice Cream
    Dymatize Elite Java

My favorite blends, when I'm feeling super cheap:
    Body Fortress (walmart - chocolate or cookies and cream)
    Syntrax Essence (chocolate)

Stuff I HATE that everyone keeps suggesting:
    Anything by Optimum Nutritrion (icky aftertaste)
    Anything by Gold STandard (yuck after)
    Anything premixed (atkins, eas, muscle milk - they are all pretty crappy stat-wise)
    Any of the Syntrax FRUITY flavors -- yuck, like medicine

THE Best SPLURGE if you're a coffee lover: CLICK :)
    It's coffee protein and its not the best stats, but it taste the most like coffee and its aweome.
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    bump
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition!
  • bruinstar
    bruinstar Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally really like Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard (Double Rich Chocolate flavor) the best. I've read great reviews and compared the nutrition in this against others and this always comes out on top. The flavor goes great with cereal or milk/water. I order it from Amazon cause they have the best price on this which tends to be on the pricier end.
  • Parris420
    Parris420 Posts: 69
    Options
    healthy n fit
    nutritionals
    anabolic muscle

go to your local vitamin shop remember cheap is not always the best when dealing with supplements for your body
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey Natural.
    100 calories for a scoop, only 3 grams of sugar!
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just read this article in Shape re: what to look for in protein poweder so you don't get a "frankenfood":
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-strategies/ask-diet-doctor-are-protein-shakes-truly-healthy
  • trmecham
    trmecham Posts: 53
    Options
    Cytosport 100% Whey Protein at Costco 6lbs for $39.99. Tastes good and the price can't be beat.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options

I use the vanilla and mix with all kinds of stuff to create flavored shakes. I also love the chocolate and mix with PB2 or peppermint extract. I also use unsweetened almond milk or Lactaid fat free milk.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for lower priced protein, I suggest go with the protein you'll find at your grocery store if it's the isolate (a lot less sugar than the regular) form.

The one I recommend (found at Wal Mart): Body Fortress Isolate (around 20$ for 2lbs) - the Chocolate tastes the best but that's my preference.

However, if you're not on a tight budget I suggest go with this brand: Gold Standard - Optimum 100% Whey Protein (28-30$ online for 2lbs). All the flavors for this tastes the best in my opinion and I have made some serious lean gains from this one.

Both however are what you are looking for and there are TONS of shakes just like them, just make sure you look at the ingredients/reviews before you buy them.

Hope this helps, good luck!
    I have tried both Gold Standard and Body Fortress. I threw the entire jar away of Body Fortress, it totally tastes like sugar substitutes and grainy. Gold Standard tastes much better to me. I love the double rich chocolate.
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Me too......I love it!!!!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm in the mood for something light, and an envelope of Knox for nails has 7 gms protein and only 40 cals.

If you have 4 of these through the day (or all at once) that's only 160 cals for 28 gms of protein. Nice Orange Tang kinda flavor.
    :drinker: