PCOS and Losing weight

Options
1234568»

Replies

• JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Metformin is sometimes used for diabetes, but it's not strictly for people with diabetes. Metformin helps women with PCOS with insulin resistance, and also help lower androgen levels (male hormones). Losing weight alone is difficult, but losing weight with PCOS sometimes seems near impossible. I've done a lot of research and found that people with PCOS benefit from a diet low in carbohydrates.

The only weight loss I've ever seen is after I switched to paleo. I see a lot of people going on about how terrible low-carb is but a lot of them don't understand how terrible carbs are for women with PCOS. Of course it wasn't the paleo alone. I know exactly what my BMR is, and I try to eat no more than 300 cals above that. I typically stay at 1900 cals a day. If I work out I eat 2000-2100, which isn't happening lately because my knees are shot.

My nutrients are 15% carbs; 35 % protein; 50% fat. The fats are HEALTHY , super important to point that out. Grass-fed butter, coconut oil, pure olive oil (Trader Joe's actually sells real olive oil!).

As far as exercise go...interval training is "statistically" better for women with PCOS. Typically I go 5 days/wk and work out for 45 minutes. I don't just jump on a treadmill. I cycle through strength training and cardio (jump rope, sets for time, rowing, elliptical). Hope that's helpful. PCOS is frustrating.