JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I tell myself during exercise,

"You NEED to do this, you CAN do this, you WILL do this"

or

"You've got this!"

And towards the end . . .

"You're in the endgame baby"

And then if it's the last 30 seconds of an all out sprint or something like that, "30 seconds? An infant could do this!" (Not rational but it seems to work)
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    stop being a wimp and finish!
    are you throwing up? well keep going
    the wall is coming, burst through it and keep going.
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    bump for later
  • Laurakc89
    Laurakc89 Posts: 22
    Options
    I've just seen this idea, think I might give it a go! two jars with beads, each bead represnting a pound. One jar of pounds to go and one for pounds lost. At 7 pounds I'm starting to realise I'm really managing this and think this will help me to realise my achievements without rewarding myslef with food etc,as I can still see what I have to go!
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Remember that morning you had the EKG.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I'm constantly saying to myself, "I'm doing it!"

When I'm overwhelmed and feel like I'll never get healthy or lose weight, this reminds me that I'm already doing it, so how can it be impossible?
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    When it's while i'm working out (and i was just thinking this last night), I say, "Okay, i'm here now, i'm not going to waste my time and dog it, i'm going to put my full effort into it and make that 1-2 hours worth it."
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    Bill Bowerman - "If you have a body, you are an athlete". I am an athlete - and I train! I may not be as fit as an athlete as I was 25 years ago, but I know I will be!!

Yesterday, I was pushing hard, but was getting tired during a cardio day, and saw my trainer in the gym waiting for her next client. I thought about hoping she saw me and would see how hard I was working. I had a good long talk with myself reminding me that I do this for me and me only!! Not to make my trainer proud of me, or my husband or kids. I do it for me, selfish, so I can spend years with them!! I will see my kids to adulthood, and parenthood. I will enjoy my grandchildren (10+ years down the road :smile:)
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel like working out: "In an hour you'll either be done with your workout, or you'll be feeling guilty. Choose."
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have a couple:

"If it is important to you you will find a way...if not you will find an excuse!" (I use this one to to make myself exercise)

"It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to take one giant leap forward only to stumble back." (this one helps me to keep on track when the scale moves oh so slowly,or not at all)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Willpower

* “It’s not that some people have willpower and some don’t. It’s that some people are ready to change and others are not.” ~James Gordon

* “Willpower can produce short-term change, but it creates constant internal stress because you haven’t dealt with the root cause.” ~Rick Warren

* “Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do.” ~Johann von Goethe
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    When I am doing fly pec workout at the gym I say"no more grandma arms" It helps me fight the tiredness and get in a few more reps
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    What a great thread - I'm laughing and sometimes even tearing up.

For food, I tell myself, "I've tasted ____ before - I don't have to taste it again right now."

For exercising - hmmm - basically I just tell myself to, "Get off your rear and GET GOING."

One more - I've made a committment to take the stairs instead of the elevator every morning to my office. Sometimes I am very tempted to take the elevator and I tell myself, "Life looks better from the top of the stairs!" It works for some odd reason :)
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    I always say "I got this"
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Don't give up what you want most for what you want right now.
  • MrsObundles
    MrsObundles Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a couple written on a board by my desk but my 2 favorites are:

If you always do what you have always done, then you will always get what you have always got!

Suffer the pain of discipline or suffer the pain of regret!

I like those!
  • robiney
    robiney Posts: 15
    Options
    I basically chant in my head "you're a champion" haha
  • shelbysmom08
    Options
    even if you are going slow at least you are moving faster then those on the couch!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Thoughts

* “Our greatest battles are that with our own minds.” ~Jameson Frank
    * “Change your thoughts and you change your world.” ~Norman Vincent Peale
    * “What consumes your mind controls your life.” ~Creed
    * “While we may not be able to control all that happens to us, we can control what happens inside us.” ~Ben Franklin
    * “It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.” ~Sir Edmund Hillary
    * “Never say anything about yourself you do not want to come true.” ~Brian Tracy
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!