• iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Here's a fun study

Sofer S, et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity, 2011 Apr 7.

http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v19/n10/full/oby201148a.html

Interpretation: Carbs at dinner can help an obese person lose 25 pounds instead of 19. Myself (and probably others reading this) don't fall into the obese group. These results should be interpreted with caution, when applying them to a demographic of anyone who is not obese.

I agree, and does your advice apply universally?

touche!!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    I don't know why people have to be so nasty and demeaning. Tell her she is wrong and explain why, perhaps provide links to credible studies that support your opinion. Awesome GIFs tho fo sho...:laugh:

Some people have.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg

and for point #2

Burd NA et al. Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar protein synthesis persists for up to 24 h after resistance exercise in young men. J Nutr. 2011 Apr 1;141(4):568-73. Epub 2011 Feb 2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

This study doesn't have to do with meal timing or protein feeding; rather, it tested the hypothesis that exercise-mediated enhancement of muscle protein synthesis to feeding persists 24 h after resistance exercise.

However, the same research group that you quoted demonstrated that synthesis of the myofibrillar fraction is enhanced with protein feeding early after exercise (i.e. up to 5 h).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19124543

And do either the studies support this statement? "Get at least 20 grams of protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your exercise."
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    broscience-alan-aragon-e1276617690872.jpg

and for point #2

Burd NA et al. Enhanced amino acid sensitivity of myofibrillar protein synthesis persists for up to 24 h after resistance exercise in young men. J Nutr. 2011 Apr 1;141(4):568-73. Epub 2011 Feb 2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204

This study doesn't have to do with meal timing or protein feeding; rather, it tested the hypothesis that exercise-mediated enhancement of muscle protein synthesis to feeding persists 24 h after resistance exercise.

However, the same research group that you quoted demonstrated that synthesis of the myofibrillar fraction is enhanced with protein feeding early after exercise (i.e. up to 5 h).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19124543

And do either the studies support this statement? "Get at least 20 grams of protein in your system within 30 minutes of completing your exercise."

Absolutely not! :) My statements are based on information which was given to me by a successful athlete whom I respect and trust... which is exactly how I opened my original post!

I truly appreciate this discussion. Nutrition science is a war of hypotheses right now, and I'm glad to have read the studies you provided. Keep them coming, please!
  • poesface
    poesface Posts: 5
    Options
    How about this... do what you want. Doubt she was saying this is the ONLY way to eat properly.

I believe the point of the post was just sharing a personal tip. Take it... or leave it. Maybe we should just put a burning cross on her front yard and get it over with. Who is she to think she can just come in and share her personal success story? That's not what this place is for after all... Let's get her! I'll bring the matches!

All you people (yeah... I said "you people") who are crying for science...

This obviously worked for her... and her trainer. There's your science.

oh_snap.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    How about this... do what you want. Doubt she was saying this is the ONLY way to eat properly.

I believe the point of the post was just sharing a personal tip. Take it... or leave it. Maybe we should just put a burning cross on her front yard and get it over with. Who is she to think she can just come in and share her personal success story? That's not what this place is for after all... Let's get her! I'll bring the matches!

All you people (yeah... I said "you people") who are crying for science...

This obviously worked for her... and her trainer. There's your science.

oh_snap.jpg
    HCG, fasting, detoxing, etc. apparently work for others too...........................I'll get the gasoline.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition