Runners: What is your mantra?

Options
12346»

Replies

• LMHinson15
    LMHinson15 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love this! I'm going to try some of these. I'm not going anywhere far or fast just yet, but I'm building up and I think these will help!

The thing that has popped into my head, and I don't know where it comes from, is just repeating

"I CAN and I WILL!"
  • KristenStone
    KristenStone Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There is a song that I just love running too. Its called One Foot by a band called Fun. I use the chorus in that song as my mantra.

"I put one foot in front of the other one. OH OH OH!" haha
  • Leesseebee
    Leesseebee Posts: 216
    Options
    it varies-I try and go early in the morning so my brain does not really realize what the rest of the body is doing...but when I am running and it gets tough and my music is not motivating loud enough, my internal dialogue (yes, dialogue) is something like "urk; shush; urk; shush; urk; seriously, shush, you'll feel good if you keep going and after you are done; I don't want to; too bad WE ARE DOING THIS" and so on.
    It makes me feel nuts.
    When I am doing a tri, it is a bit worse as we cannot listen to music.
    For those times, when you just get off your bike and your legs feel like jello, I just keep repeating "you are running now, you are running now, you are running now". It helps.
  • furbutt
    furbutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Go Fast, Go Hard or Go back to bed
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'm about to restart c25k, so this is well-timed, thank you! When I did it the first time, I would only focus on my breath, just easy in-and-out through the nose, and maintaining proper form. To help with side stitches, I would use belly breathing, which helps a lot. I would think, "buddha belly in, pain goes out," until it goes away. The image of a pot-bellied buddha always makes me smile, too. :happy: It made running more meditative for me and took the focus off of how puffy and sore my knees would get.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I have one that helps me:
    "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

Saw that written somewhere and it has stuck with me - yeah, it's gonna hurt, but I don't have to be a baby about it.

Other times is just say "F@CK!"
  • Nichole1981
    Nichole1981 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I tell myself "it’s not your legs giving out it's your mind giving up...your body can do this". I also try to remind myself of all the people who are unable to run and how running is a privilege. I also do the “one more minute” trick.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    "You want to quit? Get to the next mile mark and then you can quit. Oh look, you hit that next mile, give me another 1/2 mile then you can quit."

Pretty much what's happening in my head when I'm having a very unmotivated run. Otherwise I listen to what ever tunes are playing and try to drowned out any other thoughts.
  • Skywalker_Dub
    Options
    I don't know I've been running for so long I don't think about it much anymore. I do find that I focus on breathing a lot when it gets hard. I have also tried telling myself you're light as a feather when my legs feel heavy.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    "pain is temporary, results are forever"
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I just pretend that the Zombies are catching up.

^This times a million! Lol. I'm training for the zombie apocalypse...I mean...PRETENDING to train for the zombie apocalypse...

I am very seriosuly running to train for the zombie apocalypse. Did you see the season finale of the Walking Dead?! :wink:
  • Knitiquegirl
    Options
    Just did my first half marathon, running and honestly I prayed before I started that when I felt weak, God would get me through. I ran the entire time, and when I legs got heavy I would ask myself Lungs good? Since they were I just thought it's mind over matter. but my lungs/breath were good I thought, Mind over matter, I can do it. And repeated. At the end when I was done and my heart rate was high, my legs felt light, and my body tingly, I was thinking this is either the runner's high that everyone talks about or I'm about to pass out. ;o)

Love some of the responses though.