How skinny is too skinny?

Options
124»

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (though not always the "you're too skinny comment" translates into "you got skinnier than me and that makes me uncomfortable so you need to stop losing weight because it makes me feel bad about my own lazy now fatter than your bum"

+1
  • I have a collarbone that sticks out naturally... so when I lose weight it shows there.

Not that I'm super skinny now, but a few years ago - 5'10 I was 138-143 and my grandmother asked my mother if I was eating. I was. I was in a healthy range, but I think it's the shock. Not that I ever had *that* much weight off to start; 20-25 pounds lost but it was enough for people to really notice.
  • In my opinion, bones and ribs are not flattering, and should not be visible, and little meat is good. Personally I like the Pinup Girl, hour glass look.

Agreed, although I like all sorts of looks. I'm aiming for definition.
    My ribs are overly large, which is deterring to lose weight because I don't want them to look worse. They only bother me most when I'm laying down.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    ?This

tumblr_lkbfmiwA2Y1qirywio5_r1_250.jpg
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    I generally think that if you're thin enough that you constantly look underfed, that's too thin. For some women at my height (5'3") that could mean 100 pounds. For other women, that could mean 150. I honestly think it has everything to do with your frame size, the way (and how much) you carry muscle, as well as your general shape. Personally, with a large frame size but also taking BMI and other measurements into consideration, I like to think that my personal goal won't be scary thin, but thin enough that I'll be where I want to be.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have posted "when your period stops" but that's not a good indication at all. That would mean that athletes with a BMI of 22 are "too skinny." For many active woman, training a lot will cause your body not to have periods. Just saying. Otherwise, I agree that too skinny is when you begin having health problems...
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Too Skinny is when you are below your healthy range, just like Too Fat is above your healthy range. Use either BMI or body fat limits.

Lots of people like to say "you're getting too skinny" because they are jealous (or ignorant about what healthy is). It's annoying.

In between there is all just vanity, and personal preference. If anybody has something to say about personal preference, they can shut it. :D
  • Brennaohh
    Brennaohh Posts: 47
    Options
    bumppp

i am called too skinny very often, im 5'7 and just over 100lbs.

I try to eat healthy; fruits, veggies, etc. but i dont deny myself either.

My yearly physicals prove I am of great health even though I am technically (and always have been) quite underweight.

Its really hurtful when people accuse me of starving myself or say I look disgusting.

I personally think almost all body types are beautiful
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When you are having health problems from being underweight. Otherwise I think it is no ones business
    This.
    I've gotten comments from well-meaning friends telling me "don't lose weight too fast". I'm losing a pound a week and doing it the healthy way - don't worry! I know it's said with good intentions but it's still a bit confusing.
  • Samsara9
    Samsara9 Posts: 39
    Options
    ?This

tumblr_lkbfmiwA2Y1qirywio5_r1_250.jpg
    Sadly, I think this model (luisel ramos) died of anorexia (and her sister). She was living on water, apples and a tomato per day. :sad:
  • CindyBretta
    Options
    When someone has been overweight, and you haven't seen them in quite a while and they are skinny, it can be quite a shock because they look so different than they used to.

But unfortunately, when people actually ARE losing weight too fast and getting too skinny, they are usually unable to hear it because they are so invested in wanting to be as thin as possible, and they've probably had a few too many well meaning people tell them they are looking great -- and that's what they choose to believe.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is down to personal goals and maybe a bit biased by what we feel like society demands of us. Girls and guys both are plagued by images of beautiful people everywhere you look like that's what is expected of us. Honestly majority of that is irrelevant and unobtainable. It's all about being happy in your own skin and liking what you see in mirror and maintaining that.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    :smile: It's ridiculous that I again find you on here (suziecue66) arguing and pointing out ridiculous points, get a life!!
    If you need to eat in an unhealthy manner to get and stay that way.

Someone can be technically a normal weight, but if they need to eat at near starvation levels to stay at that weight, it's not a healthy weight for them as an individual.

How do you classify unhealthy manner?

Maybe some people just can't eat as much as others and maintain their weight. Doesn't automatically mean the weight they strive for is not healthy for them. Could be other reasons.
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this haha I woundered if I was really that unclear. Obviously if you are eating what is healthy for YOU then its not unhealthy eating. Kind of the whole point of my post.

***Ok I know I am like 2 weeks off here but :noway: ***
    :smile: It's ridiculous that I again find you on here (suziecue66) arguing and pointing out ridiculous points, get a life!!
    If you need to eat in an unhealthy manner to get and stay that way.

Someone can be technically a normal weight, but if they need to eat at near starvation levels to stay at that weight, it's not a healthy weight for them as an individual.

How do you classify unhealthy manner?

Maybe some people just can't eat as much as others and maintain their weight. Doesn't automatically mean the weight they strive for is not healthy for them. Could be other reasons.
  • stephspeers
    Options
    I completely agree. I've lost 20 pounds (in 6 months) and since i have a small frame it aparently looks dramatic. now every time i see a friend that i haven't seen in a while they do a double-take. It getting to the point where my family will just put food on my plate, while i eat upwards of 1700 calories a day
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (though not always the "you're too skinny comment" translates into "you got skinnier than me and that makes me uncomfortable so you need to stop losing weight because it makes me feel bad about my own lazy now fatter than your bum"

+2