Are bodybuilders vain?

Options
12346»

Replies

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    jajaja! Zilla I love your confidence! ;) So, when will you be contest ready? There's humor there!

BTW, right click any of the above pictures and open in a new tab or window to get the FULL picture!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    My wife and I used to go to a gym where it was mostly bodybuilders (www.metroflexplano.com) and they were the nicest guys and gals we've ever met in a fitness environment. If you've never read about what exactly they go through to get ready for a show, you should. If they're a little vain because of that, then fine. What they do is extremely hard, and deserve a lot of credit for it. Is it healthy? Well, that's another question... But honestly, what is 100% healthy in our society?

I can honetly say I've never been more healthy, nor have I ever eaten more than when I started training to compete.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with vanity, as long as it's not obsessive
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    But they're too sexy for their shirts...

I like to keep my shirt on, but I'm definitely too hot for my pants
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    when you are ready to move up into figure fitness can I be your choreographer then? Great minds.... sabes? :)

Eeek, figure? Doesn't training last longer? I barely held it together the first time for bikini and getting back at it this time, lol, BUT in my defense I had a wee set back... but, if I do decide to up it to figure - definitely!!

I've thought about this too, but have very little idea what it entails.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I must finish my BBL workouts to get the symmetrical butt cheek look before I'm ready to compete with the other male fitness competitors.
  • Mehagon
    Mehagon Posts: 83
    Options
    My wife and I used to go to a gym where it was mostly bodybuilders (www.metroflexplano.com) and they were the nicest guys and gals we've ever met in a fitness environment. If you've never read about what exactly they go through to get ready for a show, you should. If they're a little vain because of that, then fine. What they do is extremely hard, and deserve a lot of credit for it. Is it healthy? Well, that's another question... But honestly, what is 100% healthy in our society?

I can honetly say I've never been more healthy, nor have I ever eaten more than when I started training to compete.

That's great that you can maintain your physical and emotional health! :) The start of training was great! As things got closer, I found I was not mentally prepared to try and compete with the diet I had to go through to lean out among other things, so I bowed out of that world for the time being. :)

But I would agree that it is a very hard thing to do to compete! Takes a lot mentally and physically to subject yourself to that kind of judging. And as it's been said, if that means it takes a little bit of vanity, then so be it! I think it might be more like confidence though. ;)
  • ljd0693
    ljd0693 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    With all the time and effort bodybuilders put into getting into shape they deserve a little vanity. Some take it over the top and put everyone else down but those are the type of people that would put people down no matter what.
    Options
    when you are ready to move up into figure fitness can I be your choreographer then? Great minds.... sabes? :)

Eeek, figure? Doesn't training last longer? I barely held it together the first time for bikini and getting back at it this time, lol, BUT in my defense I had a wee set back... but, if I do decide to up it to figure - definitely!!

I've thought about this too, but have very little idea what it entails.

same here, I know they have a lower body fat percentage and different back structure, I think... If I ever do decide to go that route, I AM going to hire busy, for sure.
    Options

That's great that you can maintain your physical and emotional health! :) The start of training was great! As things got closer, I found I was not mentally prepared to try and compete with the diet I had to go through to lean out among other things, so I bowed out of that world for the time being. :)

But I would agree that it is a very hard thing to do to compete! Takes a lot mentally and physically to subject yourself to that kind of judging. And as it's been said, if that means it takes a little bit of vanity, then so be it! I think it might be more like confidence though. ;)

oh, I'm not gonna lie, I was an EMOTIONAL basketcase over the food restrictions. I would literally cry and sometimes gag eating at work, especially tilapia and boiled eggs and smell everyone else's french fries and cheeseburgers. It was HARD, but worth all that I learned from that experience.
    Options
    What's wrong with vanity, as long as it's not obsessive

nothing wrong at all, was just curious on others thoughts was all. I think its been a pretty good, respectful discussion so far and I can see where people on either side are coming from.
  • Mehagon
    Options

oh, I'm not gonna lie, I was an EMOTIONAL basketcase over the food restrictions. I would literally cry and sometimes gag eating at work, especially tilapia and boiled eggs and smell everyone else's french fries and cheeseburgers. It was HARD, but worth all that I learned from that experience.

Yeah I took away some great stuff from that experience! And what's weird is I loved eating the food. . . love tilapia and eggs. . . just psychologically couldn't handle the diet idea of "depriving myself." Maybe when I'm lower in body fat I'll try again. :) Definitely gained a new respect for the people that can live that life healthily. :)
    Options

Yeah I took away some great stuff from that experience! And what's weird is I loved eating the food. . . love tilapia and eggs. . . just psychologically couldn't handle the diet idea of "depriving myself." Maybe when I'm lower in body fat I'll try again. :) Definitely gained a new respect for the people that can live that life healthily. :)

Yes!!! It wasn't that I hated the foods, well, ok, not so in love with tilapia, but when it was ALL of the time EVERY single day, EVERY single meal, it got old. That was also when I found a serious love for sweets! What?!? Only when I said I couldn't have it did I want it... lol
  • Mehagon
    Options

Yes!!! It wasn't that I hated the foods, well, ok, not so in love with tilapia, but when it was ALL of the time EVERY single day, EVERY single meal, it got old. That was also when I found a serious love for sweets! What?!? Only when I said I couldn't have it did I want it... lol

Exactly! I've always had a sweet tooth, but I feel like I almost developed an eating disorder with it, so I'm getting that back under control. :) Stupid mind games!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    That's why that post competition meal is the best..........................pizza.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition