Aldi's Shocker!

Options
So, I used to avoid Aldi's like the plague because I felt most of their stuff was unhealthy and was downright scared of their produce and meat. I can say with all honesty now, Aldi's has really made a turnaround (at least on the produce... still not touching the meat)!!! Their weekly produce specials can't be beat either!

Other healthier things I was able to buy there - turkey dogs, raw unsalted almonds, Naked green juice (kinda like a smoothie but includes spinach and a bunch of other crazy healthy stuff) - shockingly tasty, yogurt covered raisins (a little too sweet but would do if I was having an intense sweet tooth, egg substitute, soy milk, etc. I really love what they've done and the cashier said their adding new Fit 'N Active stuff all the time!!!

LOVE IT!!! :smile:

Replies

• bikiniwantabe
    bikiniwantabe Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I haven't been there in awhile. I am gonna check them out.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love aldi. 39 cent avocados at ours recently, and 49 cent big packages of mushrooms. They sell the mini babybel cheeses for half the price of other stores. I agree about the meat... I bought chicken there and it tasted very off.
  • lynnk1971
    lynnk1971 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I your Aldi is the same as ours in the UK ... the meat is good.. a lot less water and fat!!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    They also have a frozen stir-fry mix (veggies and sauce - no meat) that is REALLY good!!! I cooked some boneless skinless chicken breast and added it to the veggies and everyone went back for more. The bag is BIG and has 8 servings. Each serving is 50 or 60 calories (including sauce - which is actually very light)!!!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    They're building a new Aldi's in my town and I've never been - but I've heard a lot of good things about their Fit 'N Active line and the good deals, so I need to go check it out!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    I your Aldi is the same as ours in the UK ... the meat is good.. a lot less water and fat!!

I'm not sure if it's the same, but probably. :smile:
  • ShowKitten
    ShowKitten Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    UK Aldi has exceptional meat - all from local farms.

It's also a lot cheaper than other supermarkets here as a lot of the 'brands' they sell are the same as the actual brands. For instance McVities choc digestives are EXACTLY the same. They just rebrand them in order to sell them cheaper.

Not that I can eat choccie digestives anymore ;)
  • kealey1318
    Options
    They're building a new Aldi's in my town and I've never been - but I've heard a lot of good things about their Fit 'N Active line and the good deals, so I need to go check it out!

That's great! I am now doing a lot of my shopping there and then supplementing with my other favorite grocery. Just know going in that you need a quarter for the shopping cart (you get it back when you return the cart), either bring your own bags or you can purchase theirs, and that you will be bagging your own groceries. No skin off my back so...

Also, you won't have nearly the selection that you are used to in a traditional store. BUT, I was very pleased nonetheless!!!
  • melissahammonds
    melissahammonds Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love the Fit N' Active line. I think Aldi has a bad rap for some reason. My mom shopped there when we were kids, and swore I'd never shop there as an adult, but now I go there all the time. Honestly, I feel like a lot of times there produce is much better then our Wal-Marts.
  • healthycurves2012
    Options
    Aldi's is great, except for the meat. The chicken is very low quality...I'm thinking they bulk it up with water...and falls apart when you try to cook it. Other than that, they have some pretty good deals!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    Love the Fit N' Active line. I think Aldi has a bad rap for some reason. My mom shopped there when we were kids, and swore I'd never shop there as an adult, but now I go there all the time. Honestly, I feel like a lot of times there produce is much better then our Wal-Marts.

Yep, I agree that the produce is often much better! I got some amazing strawberries, they were huge and sweet, - 1 pound for $.99. Other stores are offering similar prices on their berries, yet theirs are small and already turning bad...
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

That's great! I am now doing a lot of my shopping there and then supplementing with my other favorite grocery. Just know going in that you need a quarter for the shopping cart (you get it back when you return the cart), either bring your own bags or you can purchase theirs, and that you will be bagging your own groceries. No skin off my back so...

Also, you won't have nearly the selection that you are used to in a traditional store. BUT, I was very pleased nonetheless!!!

Thanks for the tips! I've heard the quarter thing, but didn't know you bagged your own groceries! Like you said, I'd like to see what staples I can get there and then supplement with a quick trip to another store (luckily, they're building it right across from the Super Wal-Mart and then Hy-Vee is on my way back home.)

I agree - it had the reputation of like, a discount near-expired food store or something, lol. My fiance told me that only "poor people" shopped there and it has that kind of dingy reputation, but I think they're trying to change that around and I'm sure the new store in our area will help!
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    don't like aldi chicken but the rest of their meat is fine
  • itsirkmr
    itsirkmr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi! We have three kids, and we save tons of money there. I do use their frozen chicken breasts, and their 93% lean ground beef. I have also bought their frozen raw easy peel shrimp and it was good too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    They have some unique frozen green beans, very skinny. Yummy! The frozen asparagus was pretty good too (great for casseroles) ... yes, fresh asparagus is way better.
  • kealey1318
    Options
    I love Aldi! We have three kids, and we save tons of money there. I do use their frozen chicken breasts, and their 93% lean ground beef. I have also bought their frozen raw easy peel shrimp and it was good too.

Yep, I also have 3 children and I feel it's my responsibility to be as conservative with our budget as I can be, without sacrificing quality... I did buy frozen tilapia there once... It was the worst frozen fish I've ever bought (very FISHY tasting - yep, I know how ridiculous that sounds)... But, I haven't tried their shrimp. I'll have to give it a go!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi, too. Have shopped there for close to 30 years (except for the 12 years we lived in Florida). Blueberries - .99 cents, Pears - .99 cents, their oranges are awesome, baby carrots - delish - yes, .99 cents/pound. Love the canned beans (black beans are awesome), eggs $1.19/doz, great prices on milk (I've got 2 thirsty boys), cereal, the cottage cheese is great, goat cheese (hubby's favorite) $1.99/4oz. And I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Great quality, low prices. Their imported baked goods are really good, with a lot less ingredients than typical comparable stuff - ie, the rye bread has only rye, water, yeast, and salt. Frozen fish is also a great bargain (the plain salmon fish fillets - not the fish sticks :) And yes, I also love their super skinny frozen green beans :)

Bring a Quarter and some bags - can't go wrong with their double your money back guarantee.
  • original_cake_face
    original_cake_face Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Our Aldis is a bit out of the way, but I think I'll make the trek up there now. And my sister shops there all the time -- and she warned me to stay away from the meat. She said the frozen chicken breasts are okay, but everything else should be avoided.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Aldi by me is disgusting. I wish it was better. I hear such great things about it. The produce is old, some of it rotting, the meat was fatty and at the sell by date, the prices were not that great. I do better at Shoprite if I get the sales. I went there again last night because I hear such great things about it here. I had gone when they opened and did not like what I saw but heard so much about it I went again to give it a better look. I got the almonds, some cashews, a gallon of milk and peppers. That was it everything else looked bad. I had to pay to use a shopping cart and for a bag. I won't be going there again.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi's as well. I don't buy the meat though. Now that nicer weather is here I will go back to shopping at multiple places to get the best deals.