Aldi's Shocker!

Options

Replies

• Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I hit Aldi's for produce, hummus, whole wheat crackers, string cheese, etc. Chicken, no, but their super lean ground beef is good and their turkey italian sausage? Maybe the best thing I've eaten in a while.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I hit Aldi's for produce, hummus, whole wheat crackers, string cheese, etc. Chicken, no, but their super lean ground beef is good and their turkey italian sausage? Maybe the best thing I've eaten in a while.

Turkey Italian Sausage? Really??? I will have to try it! Thanks for the pointer! :drinker:
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVE Aldi. I, too, put off going there for a long time even though there's one less than a mile from us. Now it's the store I shop at most often. They have Fage Greek yogurt and I love their flavored nonfat yogurts too. I buy most of the Fit & Active stuff and the produce is surprisingly good. And the pizza! $5 for a 16" refrigerated cheese pizza. We cut it into quarters when we get it home and freeze them. When we have a pizza craving (which is most of the time, ha) we can just pop one of the quarters into the oven and have a slice each.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Aldi's. It allows to buy a lot of food for 1/2 what I would spend anywhere else. It's almost the only place I shop. I do watch the ads at other places. There are several things I prefer from there than anywhere else. I can feed my family for cheap! And it's good. I buy their meat all the time. They just had split chicken boobs for .89 a pound. I bought several packages. I've never ran into any issues with that. Their milk is $1.50 less than any other place. And their pizzas rock. I'm a HUGE Aldi's fan (can ya tell!? LOL)
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Aldi's is WONDERFUL! Their prices make it a lot easier to eat healthy, I have not had a problem with their meat at all, their produce has all the basics, I'm SO glad I have one near me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    So, I used to avoid Aldi's like the plague because I felt most of their stuff was unhealthy and was downright scared of their produce and meat. I can say with all honesty now, Aldi's has really made a turnaround (at least on the produce... still not touching the meat)!!! Their weekly produce specials can't be beat either!

Other healthier things I was able to buy there - turkey dogs, raw unsalted almonds, Naked green juice (kinda like a smoothie but includes spinach and a bunch of other crazy healthy stuff) - shockingly tasty, yogurt covered raisins (a little too sweet but would do if I was having an intense sweet tooth, egg substitute, soy milk, etc. I really love what they've done and the cashier said their adding new Fit 'N Active stuff all the time!!!

LOVE IT!!! :smile:

Hmmmm.

Your scared of their meat, but buy turkey dogs, processed and pasturized naked green juice, yogurt covered raisins, egg substitute, soy milk, etc.

I don't get that. Now, I don't eat meats from the grocery store, but if I had to, I would definitely buy their raw meats over some processed foods you listed as being good stuff.

Raw eggs are much better than egg substitute.

Turkey dogs.........processed and down right gross.

Yogurt covered raisins..........enough sugar to make someone comatose.

Soy milk - the most processed and GMO product of them all.
  • Yes. Ours sells Artisan Lettuce. Fresh, tasty and cheap. Did I mention FRESH? This is a change, as you've observed.
  • hmstarbuck
    Options

I just bought some of those yesterday! 160 calories each?? I can't wait to slap then on my gril. I have their split boobs in some marinade right now. I really have had NO problem with any of their meats.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Here in Ireland Aldi's meat is great, wouldnt' shop anywhere else. I love their fruit and veg. It can be hit and miss though, I've been to branches other than my local one and their fresh food wasn't as good.

It used to have the reputation of being for 'poor' people, but since we're in a major recession here, all Irish people are poor people :laugh: . The Celtic Tiger era is long over, and now people want more for their money. Aldi is probably the busiest supermarket chain these days.

And I've seen loads of Mercs and Beemers in the car park :smile: .
  • hmstarbuck
    Options
    I love Aldi, too. Have shopped there for close to 30 years (except for the 12 years we lived in Florida). Blueberries - .99 cents, Pears - .99 cents, their oranges are awesome, baby carrots - delish - yes, .99 cents/pound. Love the canned beans (black beans are awesome), eggs $1.19/doz, great prices on milk (I've got 2 thirsty boys), cereal, the cottage cheese is great, goat cheese (hubby's favorite) $1.99/4oz. And I could go on, but I think you get the picture. Great quality, low prices. Their imported baked goods are really good, with a lot less ingredients than typical comparable stuff - ie, the rye bread has only rye, water, yeast, and salt. Frozen fish is also a great bargain (the plain salmon fish fillets - not the fish sticks :) And yes, I also love their super skinny frozen green beans :)

Bring a Quarter and some bags - can't go wrong with their double your money back guarantee.

I stock up on their canned beans ALL the time. I just fixed some of their baked beans this weekend. They were really good. Of course not as good as homemade, but they sure did the trick. I LOVE their fruits!!! I can actually buy it for my house, my kids eat it like candy and I can afford it there! Their turkey burgers are great too and $3 cheaper for the SAME box as I saw at HyVee. CRAZY. I refuse to pay more for stuff just because of a name :)
  • kealey1318
    Options
    So, I used to avoid Aldi's like the plague because I felt most of their stuff was unhealthy and was downright scared of their produce and meat. I can say with all honesty now, Aldi's has really made a turnaround (at least on the produce... still not touching the meat)!!! Their weekly produce specials can't be beat either!

Other healthier things I was able to buy there - turkey dogs, raw unsalted almonds, Naked green juice (kinda like a smoothie but includes spinach and a bunch of other crazy healthy stuff) - shockingly tasty, yogurt covered raisins (a little too sweet but would do if I was having an intense sweet tooth, egg substitute, soy milk, etc. I really love what they've done and the cashier said their adding new Fit 'N Active stuff all the time!!!

Hmmmm.

Your scared of their meat, but buy turkey dogs, processed and pasturized naked green juice, yogurt covered raisins, egg substitute, soy milk, etc.

I don't get that. Now, I don't eat meats from the grocery store, but if I had to, I would definitely buy their raw meats over some processed foods you listed as being good stuff.

I'm so glad that at least my almonds past your muster...

I am cutting CALORIES and FAT, therefore, egg substitute is fewer in calories than regular and without cholesterol. Turkey dogs have significantly less fat and calories than a typical hot dog. I don't eat them daily but if I want one, I can have it. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem. Yogurt covered raisins - Guess you missed the point that I said they were for a sweet tooth and compared to a chocolate milkshake, I think they are a pretty good improvement (as well as a savings of over 500 calories). Soy milk, I am lactose intolerant... And no clue what GMO stands for.

And for the Naked Green Juice - Naked Juice boasts this name, as they claim that they never add any sugar or preservatives to their products, and that they have nothing to hide. There are also no artificial flavors or colors added to their product. Their juices and smoothies are 100% real fruits, with some of their products also getting “boost ingredients”, such as vitamins, minerals, herbs or supplements.

I think before you make your negative comments, you should think that perhaps not everyone is just like you. Improvements can be gradual and don't necessarily have to be a complete 180. Most of the items I purchased were produce, but I know I can get BETTER meat elsewhere.

I also don't believe anywhere in my post that I asked for your opinion on my choices. If you don't like them, just don't buy them... Let's just agree to disagree. Simple enough, wouldn't you say?

It irks me that people like you troll around on these forums looking to post your negative, unsolicited advice.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Hmmmm.

I am cutting CALORIES and FAT, therefore, egg substitute is fewer in calories than regular and without cholesterol. Turkey dogs have significantly less fat and calories than a typical hot dog. I don't eat them daily but if I want one, I can have it. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem. Yogurt covered raisins - Guess you missed the point that I said they were for a sweet tooth and compared to a chocolate milkshake, I think they are a pretty good improvement (as well as a savings of over 500 calories). Soy milk, I am lactose intolerant... And no clue what GMO stands for.

And for the Naked Green Juice - Naked Juice boasts this name, as they claim that they never add any sugar or preservatives to their products, and that they have nothing to hide. There are also no artificial flavors or colors added to their product. Their juices and smoothies are 100% real fruits, with some of their products also getting “boost ingredients”, such as vitamins, minerals, herbs or supplements.

I think before you make your negative comments, you should think that perhaps not everyone is just like you. Improvements can be gradual and don't necessarily have to be a complete 180. Most of the items I purchased were produce, but I know I can get BETTER meat elsewhere.

I also don't believe anywhere in my post that I asked for your opinion on my choices. If you don't like them, just don't buy them... Let's just agree to disagree. Simple enough, wouldn't you say?

It irks me that people like you troll around on these forums looking to post your negative, unsolicited advice.

No one is trolling the site. I look to speak the truth and the truth is REAL eggs are better than some processed substitute and cheaper too. Turkey anything has been proven time and time again to have just as much fat and be more processed than its beef and pork counterparts.

And Naked Juice, don't get me started. They have a class action lawsuit against them for using GMO fruits and Synthetic substance in something they tout as being "all natural".

http://amisplacedtrust.blogspot.com/2011/10/naked-juice-products-using-gmos.html

Perhaps you should take your senstive hat off and look at it as someone who is trying to educate on eating REAL food and not some processed fake crap.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's.......their German "Choceur" Chocolate is AMAZING!!

I don't get the meat tho....and the Strawberries and Blueberries seem to go bad extremely fast.

However, their frozen Stir-fry is insanely good and so convenient.
    Their Pasta Sauce is quite tasty....and they have the BEST Cashews (they're sooo big!!)

Love Aldi's....their prices can't be beat xoxo
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Actually, Aldi's soy milk is organic. Made with "whole organic soybeans." I have a carton in my fridge right now.
  • kealey1318
    Options

Hmmmm.

No one is trolling the site. I look to speak the truth and the truth is REAL eggs are better than some processed substitute and cheaper too. Turkey anything has been proven time and time again to have just as much fat and be more processed than its beef and pork counterparts.

And Naked Juice, don't get me started. They have a class action lawsuit against them for using GMO fruits and Synthetic substance in something they tout as being "all natural".

http://amisplacedtrust.blogspot.com/2011/10/naked-juice-products-using-gmos.html

Perhaps you should take your senstive hat off and look at it as someone who is trying to educate on eating REAL food and not some processed fake crap.

Sensitive hat? Really? How about you take off the 'Holier Than Thou' hat off too then. I didn't ask you to educate me... Why would you think your anonymous opinion means anything to me? I never stoop to people like you's level, but I guess an exception can be made for anything. If you were truly interested in educating, and not criticizing, you should take a good look at your offensive tone. I actually am happy to hear advice from people when it is said in a neutral or helpful tone. You are just condescending and rude.
  • cjagger1
    cjagger1 Posts: 1
    Options
    They have some unique frozen green beans, very skinny. Yummy! The frozen asparagus was pretty good too (great for casseroles) ... yes, fresh asparagus is way better.

Yes! Their green beans are a huge favorite at my house, and we can't find anything similar anywhere else.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    The green beans are the best! We don't have an Aldi where we live now, and I miss those the most. The asparagus was awesome too, sigh. Walmart doesn't compare. :(
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Hmmmm.

Sensitive hat? Really? How about you take off the 'Holier Than Thou' hat off too then. I didn't ask you to educate me... Why would you think your anonymous opinion means anything to me?

I am not holier than thou.

People shouldn't have to ask to be educated. I actually gave you advice that people are paying me for as a holistic nutrition educator.

Comments you made are exactly the reason I barely post on the forums anymore.

I am tired of educating people that want to lead their processed food lives and don't care about actually being healthy.

Just counting calories and losing pounds does not make one healthy. The quality of what you put in your body counts for much more.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Haven't shopped there in awhile, but their produce is great!! Really fresh and last way longer than any other grocery store produce, because Aldi gets their's in daily....so it is not sitting around until there is room to put it out.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Read somewhere on MFP that if u have a smart phone u can just scan the label of their fit and active line if any help