Aldi's Shocker!

Options

Replies

• alisonwww
    alisonwww Posts: 104
    Options
    They also have cool items in the center aisle to buy. I bought a great stainless steel digital food scale for $10 recently and a Kettlebell 3 wgt. set for $24. (Unfortunately, my skinny husband picked up a deep fryer during our last trip.) The throw-away items are reasonably priced too; zip lock freezer bags, garbage bags, silver paper (what my husband calls foil), etc. I love the frozen shrimp, ground turkey, whole chickens, and the berries for smoothies. The fit & active whole grain wraps are great for making lite pizzas but haven't seen them in awhile. Love Aldi's!!
  • REvans175
    Options
    Love Aldi's. We have three kids and I can stock up on the stuff they like to eat for half price. I live off the fit n active line along with cheap oats and produce. I buy my meat from a deli.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    So, I used to avoid Aldi's like the plague because I felt most of their stuff was unhealthy and was downright scared of their produce and meat. I can say with all honesty now, Aldi's has really made a turnaround (at least on the produce... still not touching the meat)!!! Their weekly produce specials can't be beat either!

Other healthier things I was able to buy there - turkey dogs, raw unsalted almonds, Naked green juice (kinda like a smoothie but includes spinach and a bunch of other crazy healthy stuff) - shockingly tasty, yogurt covered raisins (a little too sweet but would do if I was having an intense sweet tooth, egg substitute, soy milk, etc. I really love what they've done and the cashier said their adding new Fit 'N Active stuff all the time!!!

LOVE IT!!! :smile:

Hmmmm.

Your scared of their meat, but buy turkey dogs, processed and pasturized naked green juice, yogurt covered raisins, egg substitute, soy milk, etc.

I don't get that. Now, I don't eat meats from the grocery store, but if I had to, I would definitely buy their raw meats over some processed foods you listed as being good stuff.

Raw eggs are much better than egg substitute.

Turkey dogs.........processed and down right gross.

Yogurt covered raisins..........enough sugar to make someone comatose.

Soy milk - the most processed and GMO product of them all.

I'm so glad that at least my almonds past your muster...

I am cutting CALORIES and FAT, therefore, egg substitute is fewer in calories than regular and without cholesterol. Turkey dogs have significantly less fat and calories than a typical hot dog. I don't eat them daily but if I want one, I can have it. If you can't see the difference, that's your problem. Yogurt covered raisins - Guess you missed the point that I said they were for a sweet tooth and compared to a chocolate milkshake, I think they are a pretty good improvement (as well as a savings of over 500 calories). Soy milk, I am lactose intolerant... And no clue what GMO stands for.

And for the Naked Green Juice - Naked Juice boasts this name, as they claim that they never add any sugar or preservatives to their products, and that they have nothing to hide. There are also no artificial flavors or colors added to their product. Their juices and smoothies are 100% real fruits, with some of their products also getting “boost ingredients”, such as vitamins, minerals, herbs or supplements.

I think before you make your negative comments, you should think that perhaps not everyone is just like you. Improvements can be gradual and don't necessarily have to be a complete 180. Most of the items I purchased were produce, but I know I can get BETTER meat elsewhere.

I also don't believe anywhere in my post that I asked for your opinion on my choices. If you don't like them, just don't buy them... Let's just agree to disagree. Simple enough, wouldn't you say?

It irks me that people like you troll around on these forums looking to post your negative, unsolicited advice.

No one is trolling the site. I look to speak the truth and the truth is REAL eggs are better than some processed substitute and cheaper too. Turkey anything has been proven time and time again to have just as much fat and be more processed than its beef and pork counterparts.

And Naked Juice, don't get me started. They have a class action lawsuit against them for using GMO fruits and Synthetic substance in something they tout as being "all natural".

http://amisplacedtrust.blogspot.com/2011/10/naked-juice-products-using-gmos.html

Perhaps you should take your senstive hat off and look at it as someone who is trying to educate on eating REAL food and not some processed fake crap.

Sensitive hat? Really? How about you take off the 'Holier Than Thou' hat off too then. I didn't ask you to educate me... Why would you think your anonymous opinion means anything to me?

I am not holier than thou.

People shouldn't have to ask to be educated. I actually gave you advice that people are paying me for as a holistic nutrition educator.

Comments you made are exactly the reason I barely post on the forums anymore.

I am tired of educating people that want to lead their processed food lives and don't care about actually being healthy.

Just counting calories and losing pounds does not make one healthy. The quality of what you put in your body counts for much more.

Well perhaps the reason that you get comments such as mine correlate directly with your approach? Might want to think long and hard on that one. Also, how would anyone have a clue what your credentials are? You come across as rude and abrasive.

My aunt, who has the highest academic credentials on both nutrition, and personal training, would disagree wholeheartedly with your opinion on turkey. Also, I was not trying to consult with a holistic nutritionist... Honestly,can't afford to spend my entire paycheck at places like Whole Foods. I am glad that you have found what works for you. Unfortunately, what started off as a positive post, turned into a ridiculous battle of wills.

Please just click ignore user on my name and I will do the same. I love MFP and the SUPPORTIVE people I find here. I am always learning new things and getting great ideas.

I APOLOGIZE TO EVERYONE WHO HAD THE MISFORTUNE TO READ THIS TEDIOUS BYPLAY... THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING ON THE TOPIC...

Kindest regards!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    They also have cool items in the center aisle to buy. I bought a great stainless steel digital food scale for $10 recently and a Kettlebell 3 wgt. set for $24. (Unfortunately, my skinny husband picked up a deep fryer during our last trip.) The throw-away items are reasonably priced too; zip lock freezer bags, garbage bags, silver paper (what my husband calls foil), etc. I love the frozen shrimp, ground turkey, whole chickens, and the berries for smoothies. The fit & active whole grain wraps are great for making lite pizzas but haven't seen them in awhile. Love Aldi's!!

Yep, I got some push up bars and some ankle/wrist weights to increase my workout when I walk... $5 each!!!
  • hmb0626
    hmb0626 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi.... I don't usually buy the meat, every blue moon I have gotten some ground beef or ground turkey and it was fine.. I also bought a Butterball Turkey there for Thanksgiving and Christmas 19 cents a pound.... There hams are good too.. I will make a special trip to the town over (20 min) just to go.. Don't have one in the town I live in :( I usually hit up Sams Club at the same time..
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Oh and I have to add, their mint ice cream sammiches are the BOMB!!! YUMMY!
  • kealey1318
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi.... I don't usually buy the meat, every blue moon I have gotten some ground beef or ground turkey and it was fine.. I also bought a Butterball Turkey there for Thanksgiving and Christmas 19 cents a pound.... There hams are good too.. I will make a special trip to the town over (20 min) just to go.. Don't have one in the town I live in :( I usually hit up Sams Club at the same time..

$.19/pound? That's awesome! I will know to look there this year. :smile:
  • nirebelldandy
    Options
    I love Aldi too! I actually shop there first before I hit the Walmart (for things that Aldi doesn't carry) and Publix (for those awesome BOGO sales!) I used to buy their ground turkey, but since the recall they have a new brand that isn't their own and it's really weird tasting to me. I like the fit and active ground beef better. And since it is strawberry season I have eaten almost a pint of strawberries a day! Can't beat 99 cents each! And mine is close by so when I run out I just go get more lol. Also they are featuring the Fit and Active line this week, so there are a lot more products than they would have normally. I bought 4 jars of the unsweetened applesauce! Yum!
    I've never had a bad experience with them, sometimes their produce isn't as fresh if it is just before a delivery...but I will just get it somewhere else or come back another day.
  • annalee_1
    annalee_1 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    So, I used to avoid Aldi's like the plague because I felt most of their stuff was unhealthy and was downright scared of their produce and meat. I can say with all honesty now, Aldi's has really made a turnaround (at least on the produce... still not touching the meat)!!! Their weekly produce specials can't be beat either!

Other healthier things I was able to buy there - turkey dogs, raw unsalted almonds, Naked green juice (kinda like a smoothie but includes spinach and a bunch of other crazy healthy stuff) - shockingly tasty, yogurt covered raisins (a little too sweet but would do if I was having an intense sweet tooth, egg substitute, soy milk, etc. I really love what they've done and the cashier said their adding new Fit 'N Active stuff all the time!!!

LOVE IT!!! :smile:

I save so much money on fruits and veggies going there!
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i also like to get Bremmer's Turkey Meatball's in the frozen food's. They are quick to throw in the oven with some pasta. I go to Aldi's on a weekly basis. I have gone since I was kid.

My parent's were those poor people that somone mentioned earlier. I learned a lot growing up frugal. I am tight with with my money, only buy meats on sale at Price Shopper and then buy everything else at Aldi's but I feel even Aldi's prices have gone up but it might just be that I am buying more higher quality products like Fit & Active instead of the other brands there. Love me some Aldi's!
  • Mickie814
    Options
    :heart: I love aldis. Their fit and active selection is great and u can not beat the prices. I go to aldis shopping first and what I cant get then I find it somewhere else. :heart:
  • MomDaze3
    MomDaze3 Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm about to have a burger made from Aldi's ground chuck. I'll let you know how it goes. We're in Alabama. :happy:
  • Hood25
    Hood25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I get the dark chocolate and the salmon in a bag...it's wild caught! Way cheaper than most places and it's wild caught...I couldn't find wild caught fish anywhere. i mean anywhere. I called everywhere and was on top of the world when I found it at ALDI's! It's worth checking out and finding hidden gems
  • tabathavm
    tabathavm Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at Aldi's too!!! i've noticed that alot of their foods are all natural and dont have ingrediants you can't pronounce. And alot of them are MSG free...:)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to Aldi since a cashier was stabbed at mine.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I like when they have nifty German foods, like frozen schnitzel.
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    They have improved alot here at the locations in Dallas. I love them and they have wayyyyyyy more healthy foods than before that taste really great and are really cheap :)
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah Aldi is GREAT....There meat is great too! They have awesome tilapia and chicken tenterloin. Their greek yogurt is the same as chobani but CHEAPER. PLUS I love the fit and active meal replacement, a cheaper version of Slim fast. DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRY IT with Aldi.
  • reztib
    reztib Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Aldi is a great place. Nothing in perfect. Some of their produce is sketchy and but their meat I don't seem to mind. I try to tell some of our friends about it who think it is weird but once you walk them through it and point out things they fall in love too.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just recently became acquainted with Aldi's and really do like the prices and most not all of the brands have been good.