this whole 'mens side' vs. 'womens side' of the gym

Options

Replies

• CandaceyD
    CandaceyD Posts: 74
    Options
    Exactly why I go to a women only gym, that has an awesome free weight area with lots of everything!

A women only gym? Where?!
  • Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    I lift three days a week. I progressively lift heavier every time. it has gotten to the point that I am afraid to lift heavier cause I don't have a spotter. I have asked someone to spot me. He stayed for one set then bounced. I haven't felt comfortable to ask any one since. :ohwell:
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I haven't read every post, but I am wondering in what type of gym this type of stuff goes on?

Single location, private owner?

National no thrills chain?

I belong to a health club and I have never witnessed any issues with women in the weights area. Every time I go I see women grabbing a set of dumbbells and standing beside men as they all watch their form in the mirror. Women bench pressing, squats, etc.etc.

mine is a chain gym, and I'm not speaking on behalf of the women there, as I don't know any of them, but of the posts from women I've seen on MFP or in the past.

I do, of course, speak on behalf of myself as a guy who works in the free weights section. I worked out at a very fancy health club, the kind that costs 75/month and 400 to sign up, and I noticed the same parity there as I do at my chain gym

Well I guess I should be happy that I don't have to witness that at my health club. Plenty of women kicking @ss in the weights section on a daily basis. Perhaps being in the heart of Steeler Nation, the women here just have a stronger personality and don't give a crap what people think.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I lift three days a week. I progressively lift heavier every time. it has gotten to the point that I am afraid to lift heavier cause I don't have a spotter. I have asked someone to spot me. He stayed for one set then bounced. I haven't felt comfortable to ask any one since. :ohwell:

Just ask someone in there. Most spotters walk away while you rest. If you watch the guys, that's what they all do. You'll probably have to grab someone for each set. Besides bench, what exercises are you doing that you need a spot for?
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    The gym I go to is TINY! So there isn't really a girls side and a guys side. of course I'm not going to go onto the heavy weight lifting platform and make a fool of myself, but do use the adjustable weigh machines and dumbells, just like the guys use the floor mats and gym balls

No room for judging in my gym :)
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    of course I'm not going to go onto the heavy weight lifting platform and make a fool of myself

why 'of course'?
  • GretelPetal91
    Options
    the "of course" is referring to the fact that I personally am not ready to start with the heavy weights...nor do I plan on ever getting to that point. Most of the guys at my gym don't bother with it either.
    well done to the men and women who do though!
  • Lab2809
    Lab2809 Posts: 58
    Options
    Interesting. My gym doesn't have different sides. Everyone just seems to work out together. I've never seen any problems - men and women use all of the free weights, mats and machines.

Same with the gym I go to. I see men and women using everything available. I start with warm up cardio and go over to the free weights afterwards. No funny looks or awkward comments.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    someone needs to go and say this on BB.com, I took my first look on there this week and was scared off by the rampant sexism.

BB has a ton of idiots... not all but a ton!!! not a good site for a noob!!!

My Gym has a seperate area for women to work out in if they want... Not as much equipment!!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Why pay the money for a gym membership, and then only use half the gym? And if the half you are using resembles something you could easily do for free (walking, running, bicycling, going upstairs) then once again, why pay the money for a gym membership?

:flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I admit that I felt a bit intimidated, at first, but mostly because of my lack of knowledge. I did some reading, watched some videos to learn correct form, and spied on people who looked like they knew what they were doing. Now, I prefer that part of the gym. Nobody bothers me and I feel more confident and comfortable every time I go.
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I call the weight room the "boy" part of the gym. But I walk in there like I own it. Granted I don't wear my glasses when I lift so I can only see right in front of me.........

Haha I do the same thing. I cant stand wearing my glasses when working out cause they slide down my nose when I sweat but it helps so I dont have to try and guess what all the insanely attractive guys are thinking of me when I work out lol.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    This is funny. Women use the free weights all the time at my gym.

I used to be seriously intimidated by the cardio section though. I was over 500 pounds and just KNEW I was going to gross people out flailing like a walrus for 5 minutes and then keeling over.

I worked into it slowly though, and now I can hit the elliptical for an hour at a time.

***side note, but related: My favorite NSV at the gym was watching a college kid come in with a couple of girls he was flirting with. He took the elliptical next to mine. I had been going for about 10 minutes already. I realized he was glancing at the numbers on my machine. Every time it hit a 5 or 10 minute mark he acted like he thought I was about to stop. When I didn't, he bumped the time up on his own. He gave out when it rolled past the 50th. :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I prefer the men's side of the gym. Way more fun over there :)
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I've encountered this once.... I refer to him as jerk tattoo guy....But all the other guys hate him too so this pleases me! Honestly tho 99% it's only me and like 10 to 15 guys there lifting. I was intimidated but they have been nothing but helpful and if anything push me harder
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Really? Why do women feel the need to act stupid to be accepted. Sad :cry:

That was my thought. VERY sad.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Why pay the money for a gym membership, and then only use half the gym? And if the half you are using resembles something you could easily do for free (walking, running, bicycling, going upstairs) then once again, why pay the money for a gym membership?

:flowerforyou:

I pay money for gym membership for access to cardio machines in aircon( I've no intention of running outside in 35degree Celsius heat), and the classes. I enjoy Body Pump, spinning etc. I use the weight machines a bit too. Not everyone has the same reasons for joining a gym.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I admit that I felt a bit intimidated, at first, but mostly because of my lack of knowledge. I did some reading, watched some videos to learn correct form, and spied on people who looked like they knew what they were doing. Now, I prefer that part of the gym. Nobody bothers me and I feel more confident and comfortable every time I go.

Does someone spot you or are you comfortable doing the weights alone? This is one of the main reasons I don't try, lack of a spotter.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    When I use the weights at the gym, guys have asked for my machine, which I feel obligated to give. I've ended up doing cardio at the gym, and strength training at home or at the park. They do intimidate me, and the weight lifting section is so stuffed, at my gym, it smells and feels noticeably more humid when I walk near the vicinity.
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I use the main gym as that's where the majority of free weights are, never been intimidated but then again I have never cared what people think. I have come across a couple of guys that weren't happy with me interrupting their circuit but I just switch them all out and do what I gotta do.