this whole 'mens side' vs. 'womens side' of the gym

Options
12346»

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I admit that I felt a bit intimidated, at first, but mostly because of my lack of knowledge. I did some reading, watched some videos to learn correct form, and spied on people who looked like they knew what they were doing. Now, I prefer that part of the gym. Nobody bothers me and I feel more confident and comfortable every time I go.

Does someone spot you or are you comfortable doing the weights alone? This is one of the main reasons I don't try, lack of a spotter.

I work out alone. The weight I lift and the kinds of lifts I am doing right now don't require a spotter. When that changes, I will ask someone to spot me, and I am confident that they will help.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    My 16 year old went with me to the gym yesterday. She told me we shouldn't be in the boy part of the gym. I laughed. She looked at me like I was crazy. We stayed in there and I showed her some things. She actually said she was impressed by me. But she did get upset when I asked a man for help in moving that thingy that the rope latches onto.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I work out alone. The weight I lift and the kinds of lifts I am doing right now don't require a spotter. When that changes, I will ask someone to spot me, and I am confident that they will help.

Ok cool. Unfortunately it's not as easy as asking someone for me, but when I'm somewhere where it's doable I definitely intend to give it a go.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options

My Gym has a seperate area for women to work out in if they want... Not as much equipment!!

Same with the gym I'm going to. There's a space that has coloured weights and other "girly" stuff, and then there's the "proper" weight lifting area. The "girly" area has some lifting stuff, but it does not have proper barbells to lift, only dumbells. I am not the only woman to go to the "guy" side though, but they are very few. Was very nervous about going there first few times.. partly because I felt I didnt belong there (overweight and female) and mostly because I felt had no idea what I was doing and afraid to look a fool :blushing: Gotten quite a few "huh what are you doing here" looks.. but hoping its cause I'm new, not because they are pigs :tongue:
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

My Gym has a seperate area for women to work out in if they want... Not as much equipment!!

Same with the gym I'm going to. There's a space that has coloured weights and other "girly" stuff, and then there's the "proper" weight lifting area. The "girly" area has some lifting stuff, but it does not have proper barbells to lift, only dumbells. I am not the only woman to go to the "guy" side though, but they are very few. Was very nervous about going there first few times.. partly because I felt I didnt belong there (overweight and female) and mostly because I felt had no idea what I was doing and afraid to look a fool :blushing: Gotten quite a few "huh what are you doing here" looks.. but hoping its cause I'm new, not because they are pigs :tongue:

they're probably not used to women actually stepping outside their comfort zone of thier sanctioned area (which drives me crazy that they feel the need for this). EDIT: which I would presume means nothing but curiosity, not judgment
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Commerical Gym A: Large (formally a PATHmark grocery chain store) Overwhelmingly caucasian. Open spacious area packed with circuit training equip., large heavy weight lifting area , racket ball rooms, spin class room, baby/toddler care area/ juice bar, swimming pool, maybe a "yoga" studio tucked off in the rear somewhere; large "ladies" area with circuit equipment proportioned to smaller heights, and not pink barbells, but not "heavy lift" equipment. I'll characterize the weights there as the "toning" dept type. Majority of members appeared to be "college" age, maybe post college. The baby/toddler care area rarely had any kids in it. Regarding the "ladies area:" the fitness club corp strategy was very astute to recognize that this geographical area included a large minority of Eastern European Muslims, including Muslim women who could work out in "ladies" only area.

Experience: )First, at the time i managed 200 + unionized male employees in railroad maintenance and construction. I was the first female to hold this position in this company. So going into the heavy weight lifting area was for me not a big deal. It never would have occured to me that I didn't "belong" there. Second, I consider myself an attractive woman, but by no means one who would distract a guy from his weight lifting regimen by either my looks, demeanor, or work out wardrobe. (let's be real -- no one leaves their hormones off at the front desk). I'm not a lizard with eyes on the side of my head nor sonic hearing of a bat, but I have no doubt that my presence resulted in a number of eye rolls, what a joke, get otta my yard 'tudes. I wasn't doing heavy lifting either. I was just starting, sticking with routines from a book published by Joan Vendral on weight lifting (I wasn't "competing" for resources like much heavier equipment, benches, etc. or "messing up" heavy lift sets).

I wasn't there to make buddies, I think I was "tolerantly" ignored, which is certainly better than being treated overtly or covertly with hostilty. By the end of summer (and my trial memberbship) most guys nodded or "hihowyadoin." which in the end, is civil enough. A couple of guys (one who was an absolute sweetheart) said that when I was ready to go on to even heavier weights, they would spot for me. I wasn't there to win converts, I was there to work out.

Thanks, OP,f or posting this, and I appreciate your 'tude.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options

they're probably not used to women actually stepping outside their comfort zone of thier sanctioned area (which drives me crazy that they feel the need for this). EDIT: which I would presume means nothing but curiosity, not judgment

Yeb, that's what I mean with hoping they are not pigs and I am not sure the looks have anything to do with my gender for them. It's normal for people to look at the "new" person in a place where you are used to know the face of everyone who comes and goes. Sometimes social circles will be nice and welcome the newcommer openly, but the norm I expect is that if I approach someone they will be nice but they will leave me to myself untill I make the first step. That I have not made the first step is entirely my fault.

Not saying there are no pigs out there. Read of stories on this forum about guys who try to bully gals from the weight section, and met a few pigs in my IT job that think a girl must be the secretary or low lvl support desk - not the Sys Admin :P Just preferr to convince myself its not the case now. Makes going to this section easier :bigsmile: