• hnmcd42
    hnmcd42 Posts: 2
    Options
    I love sprite zero <3
  • Babs0077
    Babs0077 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
    gave it up for lent....... (and I'm not even Catholic) but I'm missing it...... just in the mornings though..... but I have to decide come Easter, am I going to go back or just phase it out......
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue with diet sodas, artificial sweeteners, etc. -- yes, it is linked to weight gain and yes it is highly linked to diabetes.

People always assume that diet soda causes diabetes because it has a lot of sugar in it, but obviously it has no sugar, and that's a huge issue. When you drink diet soda or use artificial sweeteners, you are telling your body that you put sugar into it and that it needs to break it down. However, since this isn't actually sugar, your insulin rises but your body doesn't break anything down. This then causes your body to overproduce insulin, which in large quantities, and over time, will cause diabetes.

Also, they cause weight gain -- not because of the sugar -- but because they cause your body to think you aren't full. Artificial sweeteners trigger your appetite. Drinking a diet soda could make you hungry, but without the sugar, you don't get any satisfaction from the drink. Artificial sweeteners could also interact with your brain and prevent you from feeling full. Alone or combined, these effects could cause you to eat more than your should.\

I'd say, if you truly are trying to live a healthy lifestyle, eliminate the diet soda to just special occasions. This is easy for me to say because I've never (seriously never in my life) had a can of diet soda or regular soda -- I don't even really know what it tastes like.

Good luck! Replace it with water :)

seriously, there is a simple way to verify the truth of the insulin claims. Use a glucose meter like diabetics use, check your blood sugar before drinking a diet coke, drink one, test your blood sugar after. I've done this many times. My body reacts the same as far as blood sugar to diet coke as it does to water.

as far as weight gain, no, diet coke does not cause weight gain. Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain. I drink the same amount of diet soda now as I have for 20 years. I gained weight when I overate. I lost weight when I ate less.

I now know how to eat more healthy and have my weight well in control. And my diet coke consumption hasn't changed a bit.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I don't personally drink it - but, it isn't because I think it is poison or whatever. I don't drink it because it makes me have terrible headaches and stomach issues (I have a sensitivity to aspartame). I do occasionally drink sugar free energy drinks (with sucrose), but I've been trying to limit those too.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I use it to water down my bacardi a little :drinker:
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I once cleaned battery acid out of a flashlight by soaking the plastic parts in diet coke. lol

That said, I still enjoy an can or two a day - or none it all..depends on my mood, if I want the cafeine, or bubbles, or something sweet with a salty snack. Years ago I would go through a 12 pack in a day or two, realized it was horrible, expensive habit, went through withdraw and completely switched to water. Now adays I can take it or leave it.

and I put out fires using water. So......??
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I've heard so many different views on drinking Diet Soda. How do you feel about it and why do you feel that way?

-- gatorgirlyyy

Just like anything with in moderation it is good for you. I use to drink it all the time now I don’t buy it all that much I have one every now and then my favorite is either diet coke or diet ginger ale.

Even in moderation just like anything is it good for you maybe/maybe not. I think it is all in how your body handles and processes it.
    Some soda pops like diet coke have the heart association backing them so we look at as it must be good.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I drink a diet sunkist orange for dinner. Sometimes at a restaurant I will order a diet coke but I try to drink water.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I feel it's perfectly fine :) I have heard it's a no no but I have drank it all along with no issues :)
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I steer clear from it because i HATE the taste.

Everything else is isn't relevant to me.
  • librarygoddess2
    librarygoddess2 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Now that I've watched Hungry for Change... Diet Soda bad!
  • PinkiePie07
    PinkiePie07 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Diet soda and never have been. If you want to drink it, more power to you, but I'll stick with my water.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    who loves (diet) orange soda?!!
    My husband is completely addicted to Diet Sunkist!!!! He has converted all our neighbors too!!
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I do
  • AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Gah - I HATE diet orange soda!! I think it's actually the worst diet version I've had lol
  • emilystamp
    Options
    I have never and still never drink soda, except on rare occasions. Just never liked it! But in general I don't eat or drink anything with artificial sweeteners. Personal preference.
  • reneepugh
    reneepugh Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I think it's absolutely horrible. But, I am guilty of drinking a few a week. I would like to give it up altogether.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I love diet pepsi, in some ways i feel like i am addicted. I try and cut back though. Also, i heard Aspertame was actually used in one of the world wars. eek.
  • AshleyVeronica
    AshleyVeronica Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I honestly am on the fence. On the fence and scared of falling on either side! I love the taste of regular soda...its sooooooo good and addicting...definitely my weakness - but I also know how awful it is for me so I try to avoid it. My dietician told me to always go with diet but try to only do it maybe once a day - because although aspartame is awful for you, it would take high consumptions of it to actually be a real issue. Despite that, I have read way too much about how horrible aspartame is so I try to avoid it like the plague anyways...and yet....when I am worried about my calories I go with diet! I hate both diet and regular soda and yet I am more than capable of drinking both! I am trying so hard to wean myself off soda completely because honestly pop is like a drug to me! It's just SOOO good and SOOOOOOOO addicting - something has to be wrong with that for sure! Today I tried a pop called Blue Sky and it was Cherry Vanilla Creme flavoured or something and it was beyond delicious! All natural too - made with cane sugar and none of the yucky garbage of a normal pop. Still high in sugar and calories but overall its probably healthier.
  • amie0724
    amie0724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    stay far away from soda , diet soda , it has chemicals in it to make you get big . If you want a nice summer drink try diet cranberry juice with tonic water.