"Baked" Oatmeal!

Options
tehzephyrsong
tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
I did a quick search for "oatmeal" and the most recent topics I found were from last year, so my apologies if this thread is redundant. I just wanted to share this.

So, I'm sure you all have probably come across half a dozen recipes for "Chocolate Mug Cake," a single-serving chocolate cake made in a coffee mug and microwaved, right? This is like that. Except with baked oatmeal. I came across the "recipe" (so simple it hardly counts) somewhere a while ago and had been meaning to try it, and this morning I remembered I had everything I needed. So I tried it. And it was glorious.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup oats
1 egg
1/2 medium ripe banana, mashed*
2 tsp honey*
1.5 tsp cinnamon*

DIRECTIONS:
1. Mix oats and egg in a bowl. (Or mug.)
2. Add in banana, honey, and cinnamon,and mix well.
3. Microwave for 2 minutes.
4. Eat.

See? Criminally easy, and tasty, especially if you're like me and you prefer a thicker oatmeal. Microwaving for two minutes, as well as the addition of the egg, turns the oatmeal into a soft, solid mass, not wholly unlike a pancake if you make it in a bowl. I found it pleasant, although I know some people prefer their oatmeal watery for whatever mysterious reason. If you're one of those people, you may not like your oatmeal prepared in this way. If you don't like oatmeal because all you've ever known is that runny oat-soup, make this, and join the thick side.

* These ingredients are optional. This is a highly adaptable recipe; the core of it is the oatmeal/egg combo for texture, but as far as flavoring goes you can go nuts. Put whatever you like on your oatmeal; additives like flaxseed, protein powder, or brewer's yeast are good if you like those. Flavor your oatmeal with brown sugar, chopped apples, whole berries, a tablespoon or so of jam, yogurt, chocolate chips, peanut butter, Nutella...anything you like. Stir everything up, pop it in the microwave and enjoy your morning oatcake.

With bananas, honey, and cinnamon, the final calorie count for the bowl comes out to around 330 calories, with 21 grams of protein, 59g carbohydrates, and a mere six grams of fat. Most of the fat comes from the egg; I don't know if the texture would still be right if you omitted the yolk or used egg substitute. Try it and report back, if you're also one of those people who believes egg yolk is bad for you.

Replies

• PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • maethoriel
    Options
    bump
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    tagged to try this
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    bumpity bump!
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Mmm sounds yummy!
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    never tried the egg part. I always baked my oatbran regular in the oven. Will try!
  • Shellanfit
    Shellanfit Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal ~ gonna give this a try.
  • valpreston
    Options
    I prefer to do my oatmeal in the oven - I get to make enough for a number of meals/snacks. I make them various sizes (mini-muffin for snacks (1/4 c. =75 cal, 1/2 cup size for meals = 150 cal.) and add different nuts, seeds, and flavourings. Obviously, the calorie counts would differ a bit depending on what I put in it.
  • Vanessa_lilia
    Options
    Bump
  • JLB05
    JLB05 Posts: 16
    Options
    Saving this!!
  • sissypunks
    Options
    sounds good
  • rsmblue
    rsmblue Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do my oatmeal in the oven - I get to make enough for a number of meals/snacks. I make them various sizes (mini-muffin for snacks (1/4 c. =75 cal, 1/2 cup size for meals = 150 cal.) and add different nuts, seeds, and flavourings. Obviously, the calorie counts would differ a bit depending on what I put in it.

How do you do 'em in the oven?!
  • cadynappi
    cadynappi Posts: 63
    Options
    Sounds good may try it! Thxs
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options

^ Thanks. I was all about to :cry: :sad: because I don't have a microwave. Thanks for the info!
  • iloveseattle
    iloveseattle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Bump...sounds delish!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Charlottejogs