Replies

• DeviantDarkwolf2
    DeviantDarkwolf2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    bump to read later :)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If I substracted 500 cal from my bmr I could only eat 900cal a day, which would be insanely unhealthy. Anything under 1200 your body goes into starvation mode.

I think you've gone wrong in your calculations somewhere!

I've been following this plan since Jan, I'm 120lbs, 5'5", i eat 1660 on non workout days, plus whatever i burn on other days. Not much cardio, just lifting. I have maintained my weight, got way stronger, lost inches, and really firmed up. I imagine that means my body fat has reduced and muscle mass increased. Don't be afraid to trust the guidelines and eat more, lifting really boosts your metabolism.

There's lots more info the New Rules for women group on here, and one more thing- buy the actual book, not the kindle, it's the kind of book you'll want to flip back and forth through, so the kindle will drive you nuts!!
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    Bump. I'm about to have surgery but when I am cleared, I want to start this program. :)
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    bump - just figured out my BMR and TDEE so I'm interested to see how this compares
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Wow. I just read NROLFW and had not yet done the calculation. This adds nearly 700 calories to my non-workout days, and just shy of 1000 on non-workout days. I don't normally eat that many calories when I am not trying to lose weight... I am going to try it for 1 month and see how it goes, then adjust accordingly.

BTW - don't buy the Nook version of the book - the recipes are illegible due to some kind of problem with the fractions. I will be requesting a refund.
  • Mstubbs26
    Mstubbs26 Posts: 11
    Options
    according to NROLFW if u are over 35 yrs old & your BMI is over 25 u are going to eat fewer calories believe it or not..lol
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for this info!
    I'm hoping it really will help!! i def need to get that book as well!! :)
  • paw247Pat
    paw247Pat Posts: 30
    Options
    bump for later reference
  • redbekah
    redbekah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The formula was way off for me. My BMI is technically over 25 (25.1, in fact the last time I checked. I'm literally 1 pound overweight). My body fat is 26%, well within the healthy range for my age (42). Using my real BMI and age, the book's calculations had me losing at 1300 and maintaining at 1600 (really low--mfp calculates my bmr as 1525).

From recent experience, I know that I lose at around 1800 and maintain at around 2300. I had to tweak the NROL4W calculations and figure my BMI as under 25 and my age as 32 to come up with numbers that more closely match my reality.
  • fitspo124
    fitspo124 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. Will be tweaking my settings today :)
  • Trill_Shantel
    Options
    Bump
  • thatblueyedchic
    thatblueyedchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JayelleC
    JayelleC Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
    Just purchased the book :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you!!! I just got the book too!
  • darkheart
    darkheart Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think I used this a while ago, but I'll double check. Bumping for later! Thanks!
  • jallen1955
    jallen1955 Posts: 121
    Options
    Scott Abel "Pre-Contest Diet Formula. .

LBM x 6.2 = Y

Height (in inches) x 12.7 = Z

Y + Z x .65 = M

Age x 6.8 = N

M - N = BMR

BMR x Activity Level = True BMR

ACTIVITY LEVELS ARE:
    1.2 (Inactive)
    1.4 (Active)
    1.8 (Very Active)

The end result is how many calories you need to maintain your current muscle mass.

This makes much more sense to me than the arbitrary MFP 1200 calories. I have been bodybuilding 10 years and my lean body mass is way off the "standard" for women.
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Bump..........excellent info! I've done a lot of calculations to find out my calorie intake and have recently started eating my TDEE less 20% and ensuring that I NET at least my BMR everyday. This calculation works out pretty much the same which is very comforting!
  • fergie137
    fergie137 Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • FHOLMESVAN
    FHOLMESVAN Posts: 24
    Options
    BUMP