How to calculate calorie goals according to NROLFW

Options
New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Step 1: Find your weight in Kilograms
Take your weight and divide it by 2.2 = your weight in kilograms.
For example, I weigh 131 lbs, so in kilograms I weigh 59.55 kg

Step 2: Calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate
Multiply your weight in kilograms by 7.18
(MY example:) 59.55*7.18 = 427.54

Now add 795
795+427.54 = 1222.54
We'll call that number X

Step 3: Calculate your BMI
Use this chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
For example, I am 68 inches and 131 lbs, so I am about a 20 BMI.

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
Multiply X by:
On non-workout days: 1.6
On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
Multiply X by:
On non-workout days: 1.5
On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. This gave me almost 400 calories on non work out days. I wonder if that why I can still maintain when I go over my MFP caloric goal so often. Maybe I need to reevaluate.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Sweet. I am right on target.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think this caloric measure is best for people who want to gain muscle mass while losing fat, which would make it seem like you're "maintaining" because the scale would stay around the same, but you're really getting stronger :) It makes for slow fat loss I think, which is definitely healthier in the end and better for a lifelong journey!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • persilcolours
    persilcolours Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • pamfm
    pamfm Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I just bought the kindle edition of this book, and started reading today, but had not hit any actual recommendations yet. E-books are a pain to flip back through, so I'm glad to have found this all laid out clearly!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Don't worry when you get to it they explain it very well, basically exactly how i did :)
  • jen1127
    jen1127 Posts: 19
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • 123Kate
    123Kate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    thanks, I apparently am eating about 500 too little calories on my workout days. I am going to sit down tomorrow when i get the chance and rejig my calories and start logging again till i get used to eating more
  • fittiephd
    Options
    No problem! I am not an expert and of course am only posting what the book says, but I truly believe that MFP should not be putting everyone and their brother at 1200 calories a day - unless you're very very short, it's really too little. It may seem excessive, but if everyone eats more they will still lose weight, will build muscle, and will be able to keep it going throughout their life without feeling like they are restricting themselves too much!

I ate at 1200 net for the first two months of my weight loss since January and while it worked fine, I'm a little ashamed because I should have done more research instead of just taking MFP's suggestions at face value. I don't believe that anyone should eat below 1400 net ever, and definitely even a little more than that usually. Especially if you're working out and want muscles to grow :D
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Saving AND I really need that book!
  • MelBee29
    MelBee29 Posts: 73
    Options
    save for later :wink:
  • hannahbanana0480
    hannahbanana0480 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women suggests using these guidelines for calculating how many calories to eat each day:

Step 1: Find your weight in Kilograms
    Take your weight and divide it by 2.2 = your weight in kilograms.
    For example, I weigh 131 lbs, so in kilograms I weigh 59.55 kg

Step 2: Calculate your Resting Metabolic Rate
    Multiply your weight in kilograms by 7.18
    (MY example:) 59.55*7.18 = 427.54

Now add 795
    795+427.54 = 1222.54
    We'll call that number X

Step 3: Calculate your BMI
    Use this chart: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/bmi_tbl.pdf
    For example, I am 68 inches and 131 lbs, so I am about a 20 BMI.

Now:

If your BMI is 18-24.9:
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.6
    On workout days: 1.8

If your BMI is >25
    Multiply X by:
    On non-workout days: 1.5
    On workout days: 1.7

So for me, I'll do
    Non-workout days: X = 1222.54 * 1.6 = 1956 calories
    Workout days: X = 1222.54*1.8 = 2201 calories

Now, the book says that if you are also trying to lose lbs, you can subtract up to 300 cals from both days.

So I can eat NO LESS THAN a NET calorie count of 1656 calories, or 1901 if I worked out that day.

I'm starting at 1700/1950 for now, might go up a little more as my body gets used to eating this much. I was at 1300 so it is a big change for me!!!

The book also recommends doing 40/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. To set all of these manually, you can do a custom goal setting in MFP.

These calculations are approximations based off of averages, thus if you try it for a few weeks and you find it's not working how you want it to, then you can change it. The workout-days account for ~250 calorie burns because it is for ~30 min lifting sessions. If you do high intensity cardio one day and burn more than that, then you should eat more than that.

Good luck to all!

I was wondering if I still do this if my only exercise right now is walking.. I walk at least 25 miles a week on my days off. Anyone know?
  • kazzamcamille
    kazzamcamille Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My concern is that I am really overweight. I have huge muscles (not bragging at all.) But when I put my calculations in I get an INSANE number of calories to eat. I'm wondering what to do about that. I don't think that I can eat that much in one day... At least not healthily.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I just started eating this way one week ago. I lift heavy three times per week and no cardio for now. I am curious to see how others have done following this plan.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think this caloric measure is best for people who want to gain muscle mass while losing fat, which would make it seem like you're "maintaining" because the scale would stay around the same, but you're really getting stronger :) It makes for slow fat loss I think, which is definitely healthier in the end and better for a lifelong journey!

This is DEFINITELY what I've been seeing happen!